Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Temporarily Suspends Model 3 Production (Legit?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they're pausing production to build in the dual motor insert for awd models
I doubt it. Elon said they would do that when they reach 5k/wk capacity. They were around 3k before the line was stopped. My guess is either some equipment needed replacing, or Elon has determined that some pieces of equipment are the bottleneck, and humans can do it faster, so he is changing up the line to account for that.

Why doesn't Tesla every announce these things ahead of the press "finding out", and them having to respond...Do they really think nobody outside the companies going to find out?
Elon could have come clean in the national CBS interview, or otherwise they could issue a brief press release.
Tesla needs to operate with more transparency, and then the bloggers' wouldn't be making stuff up.
Does Tesla needs to put out a PR when Elon takes a sick day? Lmao

Why doesn't Tesla every announce these things ahead of the press "finding out", and them having to respond...Do they really think nobody outside the companies going to find out?
Elon could have come clean in the national CBS interview, or otherwise they could issue a brief press release.
Tesla needs to operate with more transparency, and then the bloggers' wouldn't be making stuff up.

For the same reason no other company on the planet does - irrelevant.

...when people have an opinion about that which they know nothing about...

For all of you who weren’t here for the Model X or Model S ramp

1. This happens all the time

2. Tesla has shown that they can increase build quality and quantity at the same time

3. The people pushing these taking points have been basically wrong about everything for the last six plus years

4. Most importantly, Tesla has already shown they can ramp 3 production to thousands per week

Maybe they're pausing production to build in the dual motor insert for awd models

I'm with SoCalGuy. I think that's exactly what they are doing, along with some other things to (hopefully) increase ramp acceleration and improve quality. I sense many people like myself are on the sidelines waiting for AWD, and they need it for the Canadian and other snowy markets, too. The AWD 2nd motor will have an extra juicy profit margin just like the extended range battery does, which will help the cash flows even more.

Does anyone with a 3 know if there is any room where they could stuff the "bio-hazard mode" air filtration system like we have on the X? It's a great feature. I'd also like to see a performance model with an air suspension, larger brakes, etc. I don't expect to see that sort of thing until the ramp is completed, however.

I can visualize Elon being awake at some ungodly hour recently, judging from his ~1 am tweets, walking along the quiet final assembly Kuka line, and staring at it. He probably has a mental model of the entire thing in his brain by now, along with the "bottlenecks". He brainstorms various approaches to try to remove various ones. Peter H. should also be very helpful here (recruited from Audi).

CBS interview is also free publicity, shows how hard Elon and team are working, might reduce rate of 3 reservation cancellations, etc. It also changes the narrative away from the NTSB Model X gore point accident investigation.

Agree that Elon tends to be a dreamer has extremely high goals (why can't we just build an "alien dreadnought"?) that are often impractical when his people try to reduce them to practice. That said, I think it's ok to try to reach Mars but end up in Earth orbit when your competitors are still stuck on Earth. Elon and team will figure out how to iterate and solve all their production ramp issues. Once TSLA gets to cash flow positive, the rest of the auto industry better watch out! The ICE'rs have already panicked, which is why they are rushing 100+ EV model versions to market by 2022 so they don't bleed away most of their market share. This is exactly what Elon wanted - wipe out the ICE. Oil will only be needed to manufacture plastic -- what else is oil used for anyway?

On a positive note, once the Fremont 3 ramp is behind them, it should be much more straightforward to "clone" Fremont and ramp another 3 factory elsewhere when needed. Also, one would think that the Y ramp will be much more straightforward since Elon was convinced to use the same skateboard underneath it and not go "rogue" like he did on the Model X Falcon Wing Doors.

Last edited:
If there is really anything to this, it could be the ‘way out of production hell’ Elon was talking about in the CBS interview. Where we assume he wanted to replace some robots with people? And/or it’s adding the Grohman (sp?) automation line? Not sure where that is...

I think we all need to expect periodic shutdowns as things are finetuned. Can’t get to 5K while it’s moving!

Let's get OUT of production He'll!
This is a great deduction

2. Tesla has shown that they can increase build quality and quantity at the same time

3. The people pushing these taking points have been basically wrong about everything for the last six plus years

4. Most importantly, Tesla has already shown they can ramp 3 production to thousands per week

All great points!
You're right.....most Tesla 3 owners have not experienced the Model X & S problems

Patience is a virtue but it's still super difficult to wait....
Guess we'll soon find the real reason for this shutdown

In all these cases the VIN has been assigned to the car. Afterall they punch/stick the VIN in some places on the car.

If you configure the car - and they have one already manufactured with the same options/color, they can assign that car (and thus the VIN) to you.

ah, I get your original post now. You are referring to when Tesla assigns a VIN to a physical build. Yes, that step needs to happen first before the build because it's stamped onto the body. But the act of assigning a VIN to a buyer is different, and that is what the poster was asking about. The buyer assignment always happens after a car with a VIN has already been built and QC'd.

I doubt it. Elon said they would do that when they reach 5k/wk capacity. They were around 3k before the line was stopped. My guess is either some equipment needed replacing, or Elon has determined that some pieces of equipment are the bottleneck, and humans can do it faster, so he is changing up the line to account for that.

What’s the source for 3k/w?

They barely broke 2k/w for their huge push at the end of March.

ah, I get your original post now. You are referring to when Tesla assigns a VIN to a physical build. Yes, that step needs to happen first before the build because it's stamped onto the body. But the act of assigning a VIN to a buyer is different, and that is what the poster was asking about. The buyer assignment always happens after a car with a VIN has already been built and QC'd.
I'd be hesitant to use "always". That's how it is being done now mostly because, with the limited number or options, they can do it that way. However, as production ramps and more options are available, that will more than likely change to the same way they do it with the S and X where you get your VIN before, or right as, the car goes into production.

No this does not happen all the time. 2x in 2 months? heh, not a chance.

Directly False. See CR Quality on the S.

Elon was on CBS thursday, and then they tell folks

Have we seen an uptick in deliveries? Only Vin assignment...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61
Yes, it is not good to have a lack of demand. GM has been doing this for years however.

But you will also notice that Tesla shut down their high margin cars at the end of last quarter. Their positive margin vehicles deliveries (S & X) are down 20%