Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to add the ability to Charge EV with excess solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to charge only from solar now, you can do it using the Emporia EVSE with their power monitoring system. Links to both are below. The EVSE is not Tesla, so you would need a tap to use it. I think a Tesla version will be available soon. A friend of mine has this with solar and 1 PW. He reports it works perfectly. When a cloud passes over, the charging stops. Then it automatically starts once there is excess solar. Then you need the sticker in the third link below - This Car Runs On Sunshine.

Emporia EV Charger White | Energy Star | UL Listed | 48 Amp | 24' Cable | 22

Reactions: Silicon Desert
If you want to charge only from solar now, you can do it using the Emporia EVSE with their power monitoring system. Links to both are below. The EVSE is not Tesla, so you would need a tap to use it. I think a Tesla version will be available soon. A friend of mine has this with solar and 1 PW. He reports it works perfectly. When a cloud passes over, the charging stops. Then it automatically starts once there is excess solar. Then you need the sticker in the third link below - This Car Runs On Sunshine.

Emporia EV Charger White | Energy Star | UL Listed | 48 Amp | 24' Cable | 22
Got “powered by the sun” license frame

Reactions: holeydonut
Got “powered by the sun” license frame

@Vines needs one of those from the Tesla shop too.

Since I’m abandoning my auto clean energy initiative, I may get this one instead.

1688425521973.png

I have a model 3, solar panels, Tesla gateway and a PowerWall. I’ve read that Drive on Sunshine was added to the Tesla app with version 4.19. I’m currently running version version 4.22 and Drive on Sunshine isn’t on there. Did I miss something?

I have a model 3, solar panels, Tesla gateway and a PowerWall. I’ve read that Drive on Sunshine was added to the Tesla app with version 4.19. I’m currently running version version 4.22 and Drive on Sunshine isn’t on there. Did I miss something?
Always assume that once you hear something, it will probably take 2-3 months before you see it.

Reactions: jgleigh
I'll stand corrected in, oh, a few hundred thousand years. :p

My great great greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat great great great great great great great great great great great grandkids will find this thread and understand how Chia pets set them up for success.

I also have this charger. Already had the Emporia energy monitoring system that I really like. Mainly got this charger to charge our Lyriq, but tried it on the Tesla (with adapter) and works nicely on it as well. Sure is less expensive that some of those other high price chargers out there.

Just to put the requirements all in one place:

Requires:
Tesla Car version: 2023.26 + (see Tesla App/Car/bottom below VIN)
Tesla App: 4.22.5 + (see Tesla App/user icon/bottom below sign-out)
PowerWall (i.e. gateway: 23.12.10. (see App/PowerWall/Settings/ My Home Info

Who cares? Well, me, for one.

I'm on the FSD beta branch, so the car is stuck at 2023.7.20 ... Sigh. So for me it is manual settings for now, until they let us FSD suckers update to a modern version.

For what it is worth, I am on Calif PG&E, EV2A, and NEM2. My PowerWall gets full these days around 12:30pm, and the rate increases to partial peak at 3pm. Our solar exports around 4kW mid day, so 2.5 hours of charging at 17A X 240 V is about 4kW X 2.5 or ~10kWh per day. Model Y Long Range holds around 70kWh, so that is around 14%. So, I set the charge rate to 17A, and the charge limit to 14% above where it is, and it says 1 hour 30 minutes to the limit, and stops by itself around 3pm By doing this I save around 3 cents of NBC's per kWh as well as a similar amount for round trip PowerWall charge/discharge loss, or over half a buck ($.06X10) per day on my true-up. Not a ton, but given how many days there are in a a year, well you can do that arithmetic....

I do hope this new "Drive on Sunshine" feature will do the simple arithmetic and adjust for clouds and the occasional lunch out trip as well.

Last edited by a moderator: