Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to add the ability to Charge EV with excess solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to put the requirements all in one place:

Requires:
Tesla Car version: 2023.26 + (see Tesla App/Car/bottom below VIN)
Tesla App: 4.22.5 + (see Tesla App/user icon/bottom below sign-out)
PowerWall (i.e. gateway: 23.12.1. (see App/PowerWall/Settings/ My Home Info

Who cares? Well, me, for one.

I'm on the FSD beta branch, so the car is stuck at 2023.7.20 ... Sigh. So for me it is manual settings for now, until they let us FSD suckers update to a modern version.

For what it is worth, I am on Calif PG&E, EV2A, and NEM2. My PowerWall gets full these days around 12:30pm, and the rate increases to partial peak at 3pm. Our solar exports around 4kW mid day, so 2.5 hours of charging at 17A X 240 V is about 4kW X 2.5 or ~10kWh per day. Model Y Long Range holds around 70kWh, so that is around 14%. So, I set the charge rate to 17A, and the charge limit to 14% above where it is, and it says 1 hour 30 minutes to the limit, and stops by itself around 3pm By doing this I save around 3 cents of NBC's per kWh as well as a similar amount for round trip PowerWall charge/discharge loss, or over half a buck ($.06X10) per day on my true-up. Not a ton, but given how many days there are in a a year, well you can do that arithmetic....

I do hope this new "Drive on Sunshine" feature will do the simple arithmetic and adjust for clouds and the occasional lunch out trip as well.
Shouldn't the PowerWall gateway be above 23.12.10?

If one is not one 23.12.10 or higher, did folks have to call Tesla to get the update. Mine is on 23.12.2
Mine is also at 23.12.2. I've been wondering how to get my PW upgraded. It appears we may all be getting the car software soon, but how to update the PWs.

I'm was in the Texas VPP Beta and they tell me I need an update in my PW software to be put in the permanent VPP, so maybe I'll get the update soon.

If one is not one 23.12.10 or higher, did folks have to call Tesla to get the update. Mine is on 23.12.2
I also was on 23.12.2 just a few days ago, but have been updated to 23.12.10. I didn't do anything to make that happen.

It also requires car to be on 2023.26.x, which is only been released to a few cars so far, as of today 7/25, and does not appear to include FSD, at least not yet, hopefully soon. The App version needs to be 4.22.5 or higher, which is available on the app stores.

So I'd suggest to be patient. In the mean time I'm still doing it manually.

There is an item on the PW gateway Installer Menu about checking for updates. I noticed this the other day, but was working on something else and so did not try it. I do not know if this would accelerate your update.

For those not aware, the installer menu is accessed from either the Gateway's own WiFi: Connect to TEG-xxx, browser to http://192.168.91.1. Or from your own lan on whatever IP address your router has assigned via DHCP. Authentication is by toggling PW off and on.

Last edited:
I would have merged the two of these threads together, but since the other one is from the TMC admin themselves, I left it alone :D
jj,

Any chance you can edit my post to correct a typo? It should say:

PowerWall (i.e. gateway): 23.12.10. See App/PowerWall/Settings/ My Home Info.​

I tried to consolidate the requirements into a single posting, but typo'd away a "0" rendering it wrong, among other minor editi glitches.

Thanks,
SW

jj,

Any chance you can edit my post to correct a typo? It should say:

PowerWall (i.e. gateway): 23.12.10. See App/PowerWall/Settings/ My Home Info.​

I tried to consolidate the requirements into a single posting, but typo'd away a "0" rendering it wrong, among other minor editi glitches.

Thanks,
SW
I think another mod beat me to it, because it seems to already be edited.

Reactions: swedge
I also was on 23.12.2 just a few days ago, but have been updated to 23.12.10. I didn't do anything to make that happen.

It also requires car to be on 2023.26.x, which is only been released to a few cars so far, as of today 7/25, and does not appear to include FSD, at least not yet, hopefully soon. The App version needs to be 4.22.5 or higher, which is available on the app stores.

So I'd suggest to be patient. In the mean time I'm still doing it manually.

There is an item on the PW gateway Installer Menu about checking for updates. I noticed this the other day, but was working on something else and so did not try it. I do not know if this would accelerate your update.

For those not aware, the installer menu is accessed from either the Gateway's own WiFi: Connect to TEG-xxx, browser to http://192.168.91.1. Or from your own lan on whatever IP address your router has assigned via DHCP. Authentication is by toggling PW off and on.
I called tesla yesterday and was told 23.12.2 is newer than 23.12.10, interesting

I called tesla yesterday and was told 23.12.2 is newer than 23.12.10, interesting
I didn't write it down, but I am pretty sure that mine was at 23.12.2 a couple weeks ago, and has been updated since to 23.12.10.

Accuracy from Tesla support people sometimes seems a bit hit or miss. Not as bad as PG&E, though.... ;-)

But the pacing factor is probably the 2023.26 update for the car. TeslaFi shows that Tesla stopped the 2023.26.1 after around 1,000, and released only a handful so far on 2023.26.3. TeslaFi is indicating that neither one has FSD attached. I'm still stuck at 2023.7.x, extra punishment for those of us who volunteer to help test FSDβ. As my dad once said, no good deed goes unpunished. ;-)

Reactions: miimura
I didn't write it down, but I am pretty sure that mine was at 23.12.2 a couple weeks ago, and has been updated since to 23.12.10.

Accuracy from Tesla support people sometimes seems a bit hit or miss. Not as bad as PG&E, though.... ;-)

But the pacing factor is probably the 2023.26 update for the car. TeslaFi shows that Tesla stopped the 2023.26.1 after around 1,000, and released only a handful so far on 2023.26.3. TeslaFi is indicating that neither one has FSD attached. I'm still stuck at 2023.7.x, extra punishment for those of us who volunteer to help test FSDβ. As my dad once said, no good deed goes unpunished. ;-)
I just called to Tesla again. I got a different answer. Yes 23.12.10 is newer. Was told he could not push it manually, but made a request to see if my update could be pushed. Oh well, shall see. But since I can just leave plugged in, and start to charge when my PW's are fully charged, but, would be fun to try. Now sure how this would work with 2 gw's, and my batteries not being able to dump to the car

I didn't read Tesla's Charge on Solar site until now. It seems like it will prioritize charging the car up to it's solar setpoint rather than prioritizing charging the PWs first (unless they are below their reserve, Storm Watch is triggered, or during a VPP event). At least to me this seems backwards although I understand others might have different use cases. I would rather have my PWs full first and then dump any excess solar into the car if it is available. Using ChargeHQ now and it has the ability to prioritize the car or the PWs.

The following Powerwall modes work seamlessly with Charge on Solar:
  • Storm Watch
    Powerwall will prioritize charging from any source to prepare for an outage during severe weather events before allocating any excess solar power for vehicle charging.
  • Backup Reserve
    If your Powerwall’s stored energy is below the Backup Reserve, your Powerwall will prioritize charging to the set Backup Reserve percentage before allocating any excess solar power for vehicle charging.
  • Self-Powered
    With Self-Powered, Powerwall will allow your Tesla vehicle to charge on excess solar until the set charge limit while covering changes in home loads and solar production until the vehicle adjusts its charging power. Once the vehicle has met its charging limit, your Powerwall will charge on excess solar as usual. This is the recommended mode to maximize Charge on Solar operation with your vehicle.
  • Time-Based Control
    With Time-Based Control, Powerwall stores energy when energy costs are low and may sell that low-cost energy back to the grid when energy costs are higher instead of using the excess solar energy for Charge on Solar. You may also see this behavior during Virtual Power Plant or Utility Program events. In most cases, you will see the vehicle pause charging during Peak to prioritize total savings or charge your Powerwall from excess solar while charging your vehicle during Off-Peak from the grid.
  • Go Off-Grid
    When Powerwall is off-grid, your Tesla vehicle will continue to charge on excess solar unless Powerwall prioritizes saving energy for home use during the outage.

Reactions: DrGriz
I didn't read Tesla's Charge on Solar site until now. It seems like it will prioritize charging the car up to it's solar setpoint rather than prioritizing charging the PWs first (unless they are below their reserve, Storm Watch is triggered, or during a VPP event). At least to me this seems backwards although I understand others might have different use cases. I would rather have my PWs full first and then dump any excess solar into the car if it is available. Using ChargeHQ now and it has the ability to prioritize the car or the PWs.
I’m not sure I understand this. My PWs never go below the Backup Reserve point, currently 25%, unless the power goes off. I guess you could just plug the car in when you are ready for Charge on Solar. Since I’m in the VPP, I’m not sure how any of this will work. Tesla controls my PWs when in the VPP.

On another note, I see the latest app added the ability to charge my car for $25/month. If I drove more, I would do that rather than Charge on Solar, but I’m not sure I use $25/month worth of charging on a normal basis.

I have the car software updated and the app, but the PW is still on 23.12.2. But the more I learn about this feature I don't think I'll use it much. As YBlaser said I want my PW charged as the 1st priority, then the car. And I also would like a setting in the app to 'freeze' the PW State of Charge where it is when I start charging the car. So I'm not charging the car battery from the PWs. I do this manually right now by setting the standby to the PW SOC, or I set the car to charge later at night when the PW's have drained down to the standby level. On my billing arrangement there is no incentive to charge the car from Solar versus the Grid. But I'd rather use the PW charge to run the house instead of charge the car. Sometimes I forget to set the Standby back to 20% and I waste the charge on the PW.

I just setup both of my Gateways with the sw. Since my PW's are and car and not on the same circuits, I got to play more to see how this works.

If it can do what I do manually, meaning, if the powerwalls are charged to 100%, then if car needs to be charged, turn it in, great.

BUT, since I have 2 gw's, and need all 7 batteries fully charged to do 48amps, 11kw, no sure if this will have enough smarts
for my unique setup.