Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Enable Destination Charger Billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I kind of wonder how they'll handle the logistics on the billing. I'm guessing Tesla will just use your credit card on file and pocket a (hopefully) small processing fee before passing the rest on as an ACH payment to the site owner.
This comment was posted on Electrek
From what I was told - it works on the same back end commerce system as the superchargers. You plug in and the car manages and transmits the "sale" to Tesla (as they do at the superchargers). The driver sees no difference in the operation between the two platforms. The owner of the charger can "opt in" to receive reimbursement on the program. They get back their true electrical cost plus .02 cents per kWh delivered to the driver who paid Tesla.

If the owner of the charger ops-out then they work like the older versions that are free.

The app also allows the business owner to monitor usage of each stall. So they can make an educated decision when to expand the system.

Also - Tesla solar will be offering installation services to keep installations at a reasonable cost if needed.

Assuming Tesla also rolls this out to Type2 locations (Europe, Australasia) and replaces Gen 1 with Gen 3s this is a negative for non-Tesla owners.

The typical Gen 1 DCs have often been installed with some or all units in legacy mode (Dip 2 down) which allows any car with a Type 2 plug to use them.
This functionality had seemingly been removed for Gen 2, and obviously can't work with Gen 3 and charging.

Wonder whether they will also work with Time of Use tariffs (variable electricity pricing depending on time of