Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be in the wrong forum (if so I apologize in advance). I've got two EV'a (P85D/500e). My garage is setup for 220V 30A charging for the Model S, but, for the 500e, it didn't make sense to put down $1k for a car that sees 3000-5000 miles a year... So I'm stuck with the 3 miles/hr charging with the 120V plug.

Knowing that Tesla has J1772 to Tesla adapter so you can charge the car at many charging stations out there, is there any Tesla to 1772 chargers so I can charge my other electric car with the HPWC?

Saw a video here: New EV charging adapter lets J1772 car owners use Tesla HPWC charging stations – cool? or theft?

But can't seem to find any pricing/purchase info. Now, obviously I won't be doing to charge an EV at Tesla, its just for my own home use. Any pointers? Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Bitjockey
You can have a J1772 connector put on your HPWC over at QuickChargePower.com. they are supposedly planning an adapter, but it still isn't out.
We had a discussion on this before:
Concerns about Tesla to non-Tesla charging adapters

It would be a violation of Tesla's design patents to make such a product that uses Tesla's socket design. The homemade 3D printed examples Tesla probably won't take issue with, but a commercial product I think they will (and it will not be "good faith" since it would easily be used to circumvent their destination charger network).

However, adding a J1772 connector to the HPWC (or the mobile connector, as in the JESLA) doesn't fall into such legal complications. However, I don't believe QuickChargePower has that service for the HPWC yet (only the mobile connector).

Last edited:
This might be in the wrong forum (if so I apologize in advance). I've got two EV'a (P85D/500e). My garage is setup for 220V 30A charging for the Model S, but, for the 500e, it didn't make sense to put down $1k for a car that sees 3000-5000 miles a year... So I'm stuck with the 3 miles/hr charging with the 120V plug.

Knowing that Tesla has J1772 to Tesla adapter so you can charge the car at many charging stations out there, is there any Tesla to 1772 chargers so I can charge my other electric car with the HPWC?
Since you only have 30A charging, are you talking about UMC (the mobile connector that comes with your car) or the HPWC (the hardwired wall connector)? Quick charge power already has a service to convert a UMC to J1772 for $200 plus shipping:
UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

They don't have anything for the HPWC yet though.

If you do this, you would have to use your J1772 adapter to charge your Model S however.

Or you can get another J1772 EVSE that plugs into your 14-50 socket, for example the 40A Juicebox for $500:
Amazon.com: JuiceBox 40A EV Charger / Home Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station with 24' Cord: Automotive
Or a Clipper Creek Unit:
Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: 240V EVSE from 12-80 Amp (19.2 kW max) | ClipperCreek

However, if you have only one 14-50 socket, it is not ideal, since the 14-50 socket is not designed for frequent unplugging.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jgs
We had a discussion on this before:
Concerns about Tesla to non-Tesla charging adapters

It would be a violation of Tesla's design patents to make such a product that uses Tesla's socket design. The homemade 3D printed examples Tesla probably won't take issue with, but a commercial product I think they will (and it will not be "good faith" since it would easily be used to circumvent their destination charger network).

However, adding a J1772 connector to the HPWC (or the mobile connector, as in the JESLA) doesn't fall into such legal complications. However, I don't believe QuickChargePower has that service for the HPWC yet (only the mobile connector).
They've done it for people, even though it isn't listed specifically. Folks have had no problems selling the Roadster adapters and i wouldn't expect a problem with adapters for the newer Tesla connector. Besides, it should fall under the patent release.

All Our Patent Are Belong To You

Thanks for the replies! So I guess the only commercial one would be the UMC to J1772 conversion service? Not sure if i'm mentally ready for that yet haha.... plus, it'd require me to use an adapter every day (since I drive the tesla more than other ev).

It almost seems trivial to manufacture a UMC to J1772 adapter cable, but I'm not sure how many Tesla owners would also own other non-tesla EV's.... I do imagine this to grow since EV's are pretty much everywhere now.

They've done it for people, even though it isn't listed specifically. Folks have had no problems selling the Roadster adapters and i wouldn't expect a problem with adapters for the newer Tesla connector. Besides, it should fall under the patent release.

All Our Patent Are Belong To You
We have discussed this in the thread linked. The Roadster adapters clearly fall under "good faith" since they will never be able to circumvent the "Tesla only" destination charging spots (since the Roadster is a Tesla). However, the Tesla to J1772 adapters are not so clear. In the video showing the i3 charging, it shows it clearly charging at a spot marked as "Tesla only". This is not "good faith".

We have discussed this in the thread linked. The Roadster adapters clearly fall under "good faith" since they will never be able to circumvent the "Tesla only" destination charging spots (since the Roadster is a Tesla). However, the Tesla to J1772 adapters are not so clear. In the video showing the i3 charging, it shows it clearly charging at a spot marked as "Tesla only". This is not "good faith".
I consider that argument as silly now as i did then.

Unless Tesla themselves owns the location, I consider the"Tesla only" sign to just be marketing fluff in printing the signs. I'm unconvinced that site owners in general would actually make it a policy to exclude another EV. Plus it would be the site owner's prerogative to require and enforce that, not Tesla's.

Reactions: Naonak and GSP
I have a Model S and a BMW i3. I bought the Juicebox and plugged it into my 14-50 outlet. It does the trick for both vehicles,however, the J1772 adapter is kind of a pain to deal with. Also, the UMC has the button to open the charge door, whereas the J1772 doesn't.

I would much rather have a Tesla -to-J1772 adapter.....If so, I would sell my Juicebox because I wouldn't need it anymore.

I'm not sweating this too much because the i3 is a lease and will be replaced by a Model 3 so I will end-up selling the Juicebox as soon as I get the Model 3 and turn-in the i3.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

Unless Tesla themselves owns the location, I consider the"Tesla only" sign to just be marketing fluff in printing the signs. I'm unconvinced that site owners in general would actually make it a policy to exclude another EV. Plus it would be the site owner's prerogative to require and enforce that, not Tesla's.

If the business paid for the HPWC and the install then you're correct, they should be able to offer charging to whomever they wish. However if Tesla gave them the HPWC for free which they sometimes do (they've even been known to pay for installs) then I would be upset because in buying the car part of my dollars have gone towards paying to that infrastructure for Tesla owners to use, something that someone with an adapter didn't pay for.

The real problem isn't that another brand may plug-in. The real problem is they hog the spot while they charge SUPER slowly. We already have this problem with free L2 chargers available at work. There's always a freakin leaf or a volt plugged into them for 10 hours straight. Those L2 chargers weren't exactly fast to begin with, but it sucks even more when there's someone plugged into it pulling 50% power of that. For an 80A HPWC, it's 20%.

You want to be "That guy" doing 50 in the passing lane of a 65 mph highway?

• Love
Reactions: DCGOO
I saw an adapter in use; but it was by a Tesla employee that had a leaf and inserted a recycled car outlet into a junction box. I image he is now on the waiting list for model III.
This is actually a workable solution. Using an off-the-shelf car socket from Tesla and just putting it into a junction box doesn't violate any patents. However, a 3D printed, molded, or machined adapter using the socket design (like with the Roadster adapters or Tesla's existing J1772 adapters) does involve the patents.

Last edited:

We had a long discussion on this already in the other thread. Basically my argument is given when Tesla installs their destination chargers they use a 2:1 HPWC to J1772 ratio, they do expect some degree of exclusivity/availability to Tesla owners for the chargers (and $1500 per charger installation costs) that they donate. This is largely done via the proprietary socket.

Tesla is not going to take issue with a handful of homemade sockets (just not worthwhile to pursue), but if someone profits off this commercially in a widespread way, that may not necessarily be the case.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If the business paid for the HPWC and the install then you're correct, they should be able to offer charging to whomever they wish. However if Tesla gave them the HPWC for free which they sometimes do (they've even been known to pay for installs) then I would be upset because in buying the car part of my dollars have gone towards paying to that infrastructure for Tesla owners to use, something that someone with an adapter didn't pay for.
The real problem isn't that another brand may plug-in. The real problem is they hog the spot while they charge SUPER slowly. We already have this problem with free L2 chargers available at work. There's always a freakin leaf or a volt plugged into them for 10 hours straight. Those L2 chargers weren't exactly fast to begin with, but it sucks even more when there's someone plugged into it pulling 50% power of that. For an 80A HPWC, it's 20%.

You want to be "That guy" doing 50 in the passing lane of a 65 mph highway?
I don't see it. If Tesla wants to control the use of the site, they need to explicitly require it up front, and they don't. As for the "concern" about someone else "hogging" the plug...a big raspberry on it. The rest of us need electrons, too, often worse than you do, and can't afford your expensive car.

Hell, I'm still a little pissed at Tesla for going with a proprietary plug in the first place.

I don't see it. If Tesla wants to control the use of the site, they need to explicitly require it up front, and they don't. As for the "concern" about someone else "hogging" the plug...a big raspberry on it. The rest of us need electrons, too, usually more than you do, and can't afford your expensive car.

It is not. Unfortunately you've confused the economics of the present situation into this problem. There are plenty of L2 chargers around, why use up a space that someone else could use much more efficiently?

Going super slow in the ultra fast lane is a perfect analogy. It violates "don't be a dick", a rule if which followed solves many problems.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It is not. Unfortunately you've confused the economics of the present situation into this problem. There are plenty of L2 chargers around, why use up a space that someone else could use much more efficiently?

Going super slow in the ultra fast lane is a perfect analogy. It violates "don't be a dick", a rule if which followed solves many problems.
If there's a J1772 plug available I would, of course, use it. However I stayed at a hotel last week that had 6 Tesla plugs and two J1772 plugs...and one of them was L1. In short, there was only one plug out of eight I could use to get enough charge overnight for my return trip the next day. I called ahead and reserved it and was fine, but if it had been taken or broken, I would have had no shame about using one of the Tesla plugs, if I could...with the hotel management's permission of course.

Oh, BTW does it make you equally angry when a Tesla that can only use 40a "hogs" an 80a plug? Look, us EVers need to act a lot more like we're in this together...because we are. Luckily Elon sees this much better than some of the Tesla owners.

Last edited:
Oh, BTW does it make you equally angry when a Tesla that can only use 40a "hogs" an 80a plug?
Yes. Especially if there is a choice. Especially if the leaving it there all day. Of course it's unlikely for a Model S to need to be plugged in that long to get wherever they are going at 40A. I've seen 70D's around here plugged into free L2's for nearly 36 hours... and I had the logs to prove it.