Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Especially if there is a choice. Especially if the leaving it there all day. Of course it's unlikely for a Model S to need to be plugged in that long to get wherever they are going at 40A. I've seen 70D's around here plugged into free L2's for nearly 36 hours... and I had the logs to prove it.
So the solution is to outlaw an adapter in order to make sure nobody else can use "your" precious plugs? Must be nice to feel so entitled.

I don't see it. If Tesla wants to control the use of the site, they need to explicitly require it up front, and they don't. As for the "concern" about someone else "hogging" the plug...a big raspberry on it. The rest of us need electrons, too, often worse than you do, and can't afford your expensive car.

Hell, I'm still a little pissed at Tesla for going with a proprietary plug in the first place.

You just made my point, we paid a premium to subsidize the cost of the infrastructure, you didn't. it'd be like me hooking up my water hose to your house just because we have the same fittings, you still pay the mortgage and the water bill but I'm using it for free.

Don't get me wrong if you're in a bind, if there's no other Teslas around or if you're not using the only available stall I care very little if you were to use an adapter and charge, we're trying to spread EVs after all. However when I (a paying customer) get blocked from using the service I paid for by someone who didn't pay for it then I care. Hell if there was a way to pay some small sum for non-Tesla owners for the use I wouldn't care at all, then you'd be helping to grow the infrastructure and you'd have equal rights as a Tesla owner to use the charger.

Reactions: Skotty
You just made my point, we paid a premium to subsidize the cost of the infrastructure, you didn't. it'd be like me hooking up my water hose to your house just because we have the same fittings, you still pay the mortgage and the water bill but I'm using it for free.

Tesla (and I guess you by extension?) aren't paying the mortgage or the energy bill. You want to make the rules, but you don't control the plug. If the site owner says, "don't use it", I'm all over that but the notion that an adapter can't be made is as silly as ever.

Another angle that may need to be thought through: With the new WC that seems to have more logic in it with regard to the state of charge of the car, is it possible this solution will not work? Could the new WC basically refuse to charge a non Tesla on some handshake scenario?

Another angle that may need to be thought through: With the new WC that seems to have more logic in it with regard to the state of charge of the car, is it possible this solution will not work? Could the new WC basically refuse to charge a non Tesla on some handshake scenario?
Never say never I suppose, but, no, there's no handshake there that would make that possible. The wall connector has no clue what the state of charge of the car is. All it knows is that the car asked for power and isn't signalling an error.

I love how absolutely everybody on TMC is apparently a lawyer or at least an expert on the law. The original poster was talking about charging in their own garage, though, which makes the last 10 or 20 rants pretty much irrelevant. For what it's worth, I was also going to suggest installing a plain-vanilla J1772 EVSE. It seems like it'd be fine, given that the outlet is apparently only 30A anyway. Someone mentioned that the J1772 EVSE wouldn't be able to trigger the charge port door the way the UMC does, which is true, but is this really such a big deal for people other than the gee-whiz factor? Is poking the charge port door with your finger to make it pop open that onerous?

Tesla (and I guess you by extension?) aren't paying the mortgage or the energy bill. You want to make the rules, but you don't control the plug. If the site owner says, "don't use it", I'm all over that but the notion that an adapter can't be made is as silly as ever.

Do I pay 100% of it? No, but Tesla does make money by selling cars, and being that I bought a car in a way (as small as it may be) I do pay for it. Also Tesla states when you buy a car that it gives you the right to use the infrastructure. My point is I'm paying for the use of the charger via buying a car, you are not. I'm not making the rules, I'm simply stating that using the charger and electricity which you in no way contributed to is a dick move ergo my comment about a small fee for nonTesla owners would solve this whole issue.

I can very easily go charge at a Nissan or Chevy dealership, however being that I didn't contribute to their infrastructure I don't do it, instead I go look for an SC or a public station.

As for making or not making the adapter I don't care about that, you should be allowed to make whatever you want with your 3D printer, how you use what you made that's another story.

I love how absolutely everybody on TMC is apparently a lawyer or at least an expert on the law. The original poster was talking about charging in their own garage, though, which makes the last 10 or 20 rants pretty much irrelevant. For what it's worth, I was also going to suggest installing a plain-vanilla J1772 EVSE. It seems like it'd be fine, given that the outlet is apparently only 30A anyway. Someone mentioned that the J1772 EVSE wouldn't be able to trigger the charge port door the way the UMC does, which is true, but is this really such a big deal for people other than the gee-whiz factor? Is poking the charge port door with your finger to make it pop open that onerous?
I'm pretty sure poking my charge port door doesn't make it open. However, I can just hold the trunk button on the fob for a couple of seconds and pop it that way, and that's fine. I use a J1772 at home to charge my Model S, and using the adapter is not that much trouble. However, if doing that, I do recommend ordering an extra adapter so you can keep 1 in the garage with the J1772 and 1 with the UMC (in the car or where ever you keep your UMC).

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Never say never I suppose, but, no, there's no handshake there that would make that possible. The wall connector has no clue what the state of charge of the car is. All it knows is that the car asked for power and isn't signalling an error.

Are you sure? I swear someone said that the new WC network would prioritize the available power to the car with the lowest charge first. It doesn't just split it equally.

Out of curiosity can you charge using a 240v? Might be cheaper to just get one of those installed. If you aren't using both at the same time there is no excess load on the electrical panel issue. I've got both a Nema 14-50 and a Tesla HPWC, I usually just leave the Nema 14-50 off but have used both late at night with my HPWC dialed down with no issues.

@FlasherZ disagrees with you. In one of his posts he says SOC is taken into account. FlasherZ have you gotten any more details about how the sharing works?
I remember him saying that was something he had heard from some people, but people who have now gotten them installed and tested them have found that to not be the case. They do dynamically update, as one car will finish, it will then not be requesting power and the others will adjust and allocate that power elsewhere, but in people's actual testing so far, it splits the current evenly among all of the cars requesting power and does not relate to their state of charge.

If you look at this post from @sowbug on page 13 of that very same thread, he explains how it actually functions with his two HPWCs hooked together, and it does not seem to do anything related to the state of charge.
New Wall Connector :)

If there's a J1772 plug available I would, of course, use it. However I stayed at a hotel last week that had 6 Tesla plugs and two J1772 plugs...and one of them was L1. In short, there was only one plug out of eight I could use to get enough charge overnight for my return trip the next day. I called ahead and reserved it and was fine, but if it had been taken or broken, I would have had no shame about using one of the Tesla plugs, if I could...with the hotel management's permission of course.

Oh, BTW does it make you equally angry when a Tesla that can only use 40a "hogs" an 80a plug? Look, us EVers need to act a lot more like we're in this together...because we are. Luckily Elon sees this much better than some of the Tesla owners.

Really wish you'd direct your anger at the manufacturer of your EV, for not actively putting in charging spots for the vehicle they sold you. Instead, you're coming off as demanding that Tesla give you those *free electrons*, when your own manufacturer did nothing.

Btw, Tesla has typically donated two HPWCs and also a J1772 at most destination charging spots. To take care of the people who bought a vehicle from a manufacturer who didn't seem to want to invest in the infrastructure.

You're welcome.

And wouldn't it be great if ALL manufacturers did what Tesla was doing, building out the infrastructure? Then yes, we're all in this together and it would be fantastic to share that infrastructure. But right now, only Tesla is building it out.

Really really wish people would direct their anger at the right target.

Reactions: Curt, jgs and bmah
If you look at this post from @sowbug on page 13 of that very same thread, he explains how it actually functions with his two HPWCs hooked together, and it does not seem to do anything related to the state of charge.
New Wall Connector :)

Actually that posts says "My next experiment will be to plug in a depleted car while a charged car is plugged in. In that case I want to see the depleted car charge at the full 72A/80A, just as if the charged car weren't plugged in at all. If that experiment is successful, then I'll be completely happy with the connector purchases."

So as far as I can tell he hasn't tested the situation we are talking about yet; or at least he hasn't let us know. (He tested with one car charging and the other charged, and it gave all the power to the charging car.) I just asked if he has tested to see what happens with different SOCs.

Really wish you'd direct your anger at the manufacturer of your EV, for not actively putting in charging spots for the vehicle they sold you. Instead, you're coming off as demanding that Tesla give you those *free electrons*, when your own manufacturer did nothing.

Btw, Tesla has typically donated two HPWCs and also a J1772 at most destination charging spots. To take care of the people who bought a vehicle from a manufacturer who didn't seem to want to invest in the infrastructure.

You're welcome.
The only beef I have is at people who think that an adapter should be "illegal" because they somehow are paying for the spots when it's the site owners who pay the bills and own the spots and make the rules. Not you guys and not Tesla. It all started because the OP wanted an adapter to use his own HPWC with his i3. Folks immediately piled on about how nobody would be allowed to make one, which is a bunch of bunk.

For the record, I love my Tesla powered RAV4EV and probably wouldn't bother to buy such an adapter because I don't really ruin into all that many Tesla plugs in my travels. I'd rather let sites know they are missing the boat putting in proprietary plugs, instead.

Also, Nissan has certainly put in public charging, in fact they've sponsored a lot of public DC charging, something that Tesla hasn't done. They carefully locked theirs up tight... and Tesla didn't hesitate to make an adapter so that their cars could use Nissan's chargers. But that's cool because we're all on the same team and Tesla owners should be able to use the common infrastructure. Sometimes you guys get too big for your britches around here.