Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to launch Full Self Driving beta to select drivers next week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy to wait while our heroic American friends suffer all the beta-test er.. crashes.

Ideally you'd want some testers located in other countries/areas not just the US, esp where regulations and traffic rules are radically different. What works in the US, could be lethal if it behaved the same way in the UK, Europe or China.

The EU/UN regulations will put a lot more restrictions on this new FSD, E.g maximum steering angle or distance summon will work so a test of such things would I think be essential.

I suppose it depends on how many iterations of the testing tesla will undergo. But at some point they are going have to do it.

BTW after my latest journey home, I can't believe we will see FSD in the next 5 years. Its so far from being autonomous, so error prone at the moment.

I think the penny is beginning to drop even with Tesla’s most ardent fans that FSD is still years away, whatever Elon might say. I’m surprised anyone still gives him any credibility when he makes his pie in the sky predictions. In February 2019 he said:

“I think we will be feature complete, full self-driving, this year. Meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up and take you all the way to your destination without an intervention. This year. I would say I am of certain of that, that is not a question mark.”

That, obviously, was pure BS. Lots of people are pinning their hopes on this software rewrite, but with Elon’s history I for one am not holding my breath.

Reactions: Artiste and Neilio
So many armchair cynics... What a great British passtime to ctitisise someone who is doing something from the comfoort of your computer chair.

Not here to defend Elon, but how does "a beta of full FSD rerwrite to be released" so we can see new functionality be turned from exciting to "wake me up when it can pick me up from Heathrow" and "Elon musk is full of BS" thread?

I get that it can be fun to be so negative, but give it a rest already, 2020 has enough negativity without turning positive news into negative news.

So many armchair cynics... What a great British passtime to ctitisise someone who is doing something from the comfoort of your computer chair.

Not here to defend Elon, but how does "a beta of full FSD rerwrite to be released" so we can see new functionality be turned from exciting to "wake me up when it can pick me up from Heathrow" and "Elon musk is full of BS" thread?

I get that it can be fun to be so negative, but give it a rest already, 2020 has enough negativity without turning positive news into negative news.
It's negativity bourne of experience of the current iteration of FSD and how many problems it has though. Its not baseless

I don't think it's too far fetched to assume that FSD will work by the end of the year/early next for early beta testers in some areas of America (regulations pending). Over here, and in most of europe is a different matter, many main roads and those between houses were built to allow a horse to get down not a car, so they've been adapted to allow cars. So there's a lot of good roads, and a LOT of roads way too narrow, with no road markings and multiple obstacles and potholes. While Elon says the best way for FSD is to not have pre planned maps of how to drive and to just learn to drive properly, there's a lot of places in the UK where even a competent driver would be confused as to how to navigate, so it would need to form of assistance and have learned data specific to that road. Not really an issue to do but it'll just be further down the line....