Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Announcing the plans to build a production plant in Europe.

This sounds like a good guess.

There are several assembly plants that have recently closed. Tesla doesn't need a second plant anytime soon, but Elon likes to buy when the fire sale prices are available. So maybe he will fund the purchase, and mothball it for a while, thinking that Tesla will be successful in a big way and need a second 500,000 cars per year capacity. Having a European plant in the works will encourage more sales there as well.

GSP

This sounds like a good guess.

There are several assembly plants that have recently closed. Tesla doesn't need a second plant anytime soon, but Elon likes to buy when the fire sale prices are available. So maybe he will fund the purchase, and mothball it for a while, thinking that Tesla will be successful in a big way and need a second 500,000 cars per year capacity. Having a European plant in the works will encourage more sales there as well.

GSP

How is this "putting money where his mouth is"? Has he discussed opening a European plant before? It's ambitious and forward thinking, but doesn't really fit his description. Creating a European Supercharger system would fit the description better than buying an empty plant. Buying a plant is not a bad idea but I don't think it fits.

Just to clarify, I'm not even going to say probably. Tesla is not buying another production facility. The Nummi factory can produce close to 500,000 a year, nor is Tesla near getting to producing close to that. The most realistic announcement is big new technology, since 4 of his recent tweets have described gen 3 as "Audi a4 or a BMW 3", and saying that he has some "really cool tech that they can't talk about yet" <----- that is what we are going to see. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN we are going to see a Gen3 prototype on the 4th year anniversary of the Model S prototype (week of). I am beyond pumped

While there have been many good ideas for how Tesla could make a splash, we can't ignore the clue that this is about Elon's money. There really aren't that many ways that he could inject cash into the company without running afoul of various SEC rules. I don't think he's got enough free cash to simply pay off the DOE loan, and even then he'd be doing so by issuing a wad of equity shares to himself in exchange (but there's been no filings about that so far).

So what could a private citizen do to help Tesla? The best speculation I've seen on this thread so far is to order 1,000 Model Ss, possibly to start up an EV car service in CA. That mostly replaces the $100 million that may (or may not) have been linked to the Broder article, but also starts a new business that could eventually earn all that money back (and more) for Elon.

Just think about all the import taxes and shipping costs they would save for each tesla (10% importtax and roughtly 2k shipping cost per car) that is Imported from the US, that way they would be more competitive or would just make more profit per car.
Elon stated already that longterm plan is to have an production plant in Europe and Asia.
Elon also stated couple weeks ago that 40% of the sales will be in Europe for the Model S, that is a big part.
Also they might receive some subsidies by the European Union since they are really pushing the development of the EV market.
Not sure, but my guess is that the CO2 emission certificates are worth more in Europe than the US since the EU is very strict with climate change etc.

That way they early repayment of the Government Loan would make sense, afaik they had some restrictions with the Loan e.g. production in the US

My guess, he is starting his own version of gmac, basically a financing company which will offer purchase financing and leasing for Tesla vehicles. Would increase rate of MS orders and, well run, would be another profit stream for Musk.

So what could a private citizen do to help Tesla? The best speculation I've seen on this thread so far is to order 1,000 Model Ss, possibly to start up an EV car service in CA. That mostly replaces the $100 million that may (or may not) have been linked to the Broder article, but also starts a new business that could eventually earn all that money back (and more) for Elon.

The only problem I see with this is that Tesla already has a backlog of sales as it is. Buying more cars just creates more backlog.

How about buying an aluminum company? His companies use an awful lot of it.

4 of his recent tweets have described gen 3 as "Audi a4 or a BMW 3", and saying that he has some "really cool tech that they can't talk about yet" <----- that is what we are going to see. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN we are going to see a Gen3 prototype on the 4th year anniversary of the Model S prototype (week of). I am beyond pumped

this is what I have been thinking too. I think it's possible there may be a concept unveiling of the GenIII...especially since the NYC International Auto Show starts Friday...