Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we're all reading the tweet too literally.
Tweeting is a casual medium. Then again, when he tweets, markets react.
My thought is that he's sold the patent or idea of his freeway "lane" over a lane traffic enhancement concept. If I even worded that close to his vision.
Guess we'll all find out Thursday!

Big enough that he can't reveal anything this Thursday after all, it just has to wait until next Tues. to ensure no end of quarter distractions? I can't wait to see TSLA movement in anticipation of whatever this is, but, it's going to be big if he's hyping it like this... this means a whole week of speculation, buckle up...

OK Gang. I went back and watched his TED video and since we are all placing bets, I'm going to go ahead place mine -

1. This announcement will not have anything to do with superchargers or the mass market tesla. He has already said repeatedly that supercharges will be built on Tesla's dime across the country and that by the end of 2013 you will be able to go from SFO to NYC on a model s using only superchargers. There is no big new news here.

2. The part of the TED talk where Elon gets quite emotional is solar. Especially so when challenged on how solar can compete with fossil fuels that have concentrated the power of the sun into a nice compact form. Thats the big "put my money where my mouth is" moment. Watch the video starting 7:57.

My prediction: Elon will personally fund home solar panel installations for all Model S customers anywhere in the world (via solar city). Free electricity for any model S owner - not just for recharging their cars, but FREE electricity for their homes. Thats huge!

Elon Musk: The mind behind Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity ... | Video on TED.com

See below for the "put my money where my mouth is" moment -

CA: But you yourself get a long-term commercial benefit from that power. You're kind of building a new type of distributed utility.
EM: Exactly. What it amounts to is a giant distributed utility. I think it's a good thing, because utilities have been this monopoly, and people haven't had any choice. So effectively it's the first time there's been competition for this monopoly, because the utilities have been the only ones that owned those power distribution lines, but now it's on your roof.So I think it's actually very empowering for homeowners and businesses.
CA: And you really picture a future where a majority of power in America, within a decade or two, or within your lifetime, it goes solar?
EM: I'm extremely confident that solar will be at least a plurality of power, and most likely a majority, and I predict it will be a plurality in less than 20 years. I made that bet with someone —

CA: Definition of plurality is?

EM: More from solar than any other source.
CA: Ah. Who did you make the bet with?
EM: With a friend who will remain nameless.

My prediction: Elon will personally fund home solar panel installations for all Model S customers anywhere in the world (via solar city). Free electricity for any model S owner - not just for recharging their cars, but FREE electricity for their homes. Thats huge!

Would be nice but Solar City wouldn't even install at my home if I paid them (I send a request and they said they don't cover my area (central VA)).

Great research, but that seems more like a Solar City announcement than a tesla one. I'm leaning towards Model X news (which is low since they just pushed back the date) or Gen III news (higher bc he has been talking about it on twitter). I agree that superchargers (even coast to coast) is a huge deal anymore.

His personal financing if supercharges would be a big deal. IMO a major short motivator is that TM won't get over the "hump" of having enough cash to have enough supercharges to make the breakthrough to large scale adoption, which depends on solving the road trip issue. Taking that breakthrough "off the books" would be a game changer right now.

Google or Apple partnership? Tesla Driverless or iTeslaCar?

just took a walk around the neighborhood to contemplate the tweet.

"Really exciting @TeslaMotors announcement coming on Tuesday. Am going to put my money where my mouth is in v major way."

i think the consensus opinion around the web is that there is some kind of a secondary and it will be paired with repaying the government loan.

i don't think that's going to be it, or all of it anyway. if it's just that, it just comes across like "look at me, i'm a billionaire and i got tons of cash and i'm going to pay off the government and put my money all in my company and you guys all come to see thursday how i do it." that's a bit arrogant and doesn't fit musk's profile of being generally humble. he has balls of steel (as his ex wife says), so he might do something like that, but i don't believe he would tweet about it and tease it to the public.

elon's tweet is teasing the public. and to me, that means it's got to be something that the public will look at and say "wow that's cool." something that will make the rounds on the nightly news. something that will inspire and amaze.

so my speculation is one of two things:

he's good friends with the google founders, and they have partnered in solar city too. google has driverless cars but no automotive platform. so perhaps google invests a chunk of $$$ in tesla, elon matches some portion of it, and tesla and google commit to delivering electric cars that can drive themselves. that's like a jetsons future.

the other big thing that's up there is apple. steve jobs had always wanted to do an icar. and the automotive market is big enough to be interesting for apple. so maybe... tesla and apple are getting together to develop an all electric icar? and again apple invests some big $$$ and elon matches somehow.

i think a major partner would want elon to be all-in, because he is the key to the company really. so that's it... my speculation is a major development partnership with google, or maybe apple.

as someone else mentioned i think the supercharger thing has been done already, so not that exciting.

the solarcity idea where elon buys a solarcity bond which is used to fund solar installs for model s owners, yes i could see that. but it may be a bit messy with conflicts of interest etc. and, i think the funding for the solar installations is already there as of now (afaik).