Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My prediction (that I will put money on):

Elon will announce completion of 10,000th model S production vehicle and he will exercise 6,711,972 shares of Tesla stock received as part of his performance objectives. This will provide the company with $44.5M of cash assuming an exercise price of $6.63. [...]

His grant has two portions. The first half is a strict-time based vesting, which he has fully vested as of December 2012. The second-half is based on performance objectives of which he has hit all but the last one. Given the latest VINs are closing in 10,000, my guess is he will use this opportunity to announce 10k vehicles and give a cash infusion to the company.
From all the speculation so far, this makes the most sense to me.

While there have been many good ideas for how Tesla could make a splash, we can't ignore the clue that this is about Elon's money.

I don't read it in that way at all:

• "put my money where my mouth is" is widely used to refer to things other than money.
  • Even if it is about money, company officers often refer to the company's money as their own - how often do you hear people say things like "I'm not paying for that!" in a business negotiation? The more so in Elon's case since he probably still feels proprietorial about the company.

So, I think we are looking for something where he has been talking about or promising something for a while but hasn't delivered to date. Something about solar for the superchargers would fit the bill - this has been a rather vague promise with no explanation of how/when the goal would be achieved. But I'm sure there are others...

That would be above the target rate of 400/week. They produced 3,100 vehicles in 2012. Assuming 400 vehicles/week and 14 weeks in the quarter that would be 5,600 vehicles so far in 2013 at their projected rate for a total of 8,700 vehicles produced. So if they hit 10k already, then they are about 1300 vehicles ahead of schedule. We already know their *delivery* rate was higher the past few weeks at 500/week, so their production rate is presumably even higher. The highest reported VIN I've seen reported is in the 8800 range. If that vehicle was produced a few weeks ago, then they are not far off from 10k.

VIN 8204 appeared in the app on March 21st (ie. car close to completion). 1800 more in 10 days seem unlikely. My guess is they will reach about 9000 cars produced so far by end of Q1.

I'm betting it's the step-change upgrade to the supercharger network that has been teased before. This would increase Tesla's prop charger's lead over the Chademo and SAE-combo plug quick-chargers even further. The upgrades to existing super-chargers will be ready in time for summer road-trips.

I hope this is not the case, but it could be something as simple as Elon offering a $1M reward to anyone that drives a Model S, exactly the way the New York Times reporter did, and runs out of charge.
We'd have to wait til next Winter, no, to do it?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm betting it's the step-change upgrade to the supercharger network that has been teased before. This would increase Tesla's prop charger's lead over the Chademo and SAE-combo plug quick-chargers even further. The upgrades to existing super-chargers will be ready in time for summer road-trips.
Would you mind translating that into "Tesla speak" so I understand it? :)

FIA is changing the name of its electric series to Formula Elon. The series will be sponsored by Tesla with funding coming from Elon's Musk's personal fortune. Tesla will provide batteries and Superchargers. For nostalgic reasons Elon Musk has negotiated the right to crash the first car.