Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't address all of the f150s I see every weekend at the track hauling race trailers and toyhaulers north of 10K
Seeing as my statement was that towing that weight with an F-150 isn't something I'd want to do, I wasn't aware I needed to address what other people are doing.

But seeing as you seem to be curious: I suspect a good number of those folks are also over the GVCWR, one of the GAWR's, tow rating, some combination thereof. I'd also bet there a sizable number of those folks are using the max model tow rating and assume that applies to their crew-cab 4x4 model when it typically doesn't. Finally I suspect most people are pretty ignorant of how much "stuff" they have in/on their truck and in their trailers and that none of that is included in the specified weights.

Can you get it moving?: Yup.

Is it legal and/or safe?: Often not.

(With that I'll end this diversion from the main thread topic)

We do it all the time, a fully loaded F150 4x4 long bed is still rated for over 11K towing, and they payload numbers are still there for the KR/Plat trims to actually hit those numbers. It's possible, and it happens every day, or weekend in our case. Axle weights are still within spec, there are threads all over the truck forums with people who post their scale tickets (including me). Just because you couldn't/wouldn't do something doesn't mean it can't/ shouldn't be done.

Looks like the Super Duty only has a 48 gallon tank. The F150's largest tank is 36 gallons. I swear we had twin 50's on our Suburban was I was overseas using a government vehicle, but the civilian one only has a 31 gallon tank.

No way you're fitting twin anything on a pickup chassis. Even chassis cabs with dual midship tank still only hold like 53gal total. Ford stepped up the game with the 48 in the long bed trucks this year but none of the others have come close. I met another hotshot guy in Idaho who claimed to have something like 45+ gallons from the factory dodge but I couldn't find anything online mentioning it. The small tanks were the reason I got the aux tank in the bed the extra 70 gallons means I stop for fuel usually when I get to the destination I've done multiple 1400+ mile runs empty in it. When towing I'll stop every 800-1000 miles. It's really gonna suck when EDLs are required for pickup CMVs (friends of course I'm out of hot shoting)

For the pick up to have any meaningful impact itll need a range of 300 miles towing 10k. It doesn't matter the vast majority of owners never even tow, it's the perception. I know plenty of people towing 10k+ in the F150 but I'm in a different group of people. I know just as many that have never towed anything and they may have put a cooler in the back.

Faster charging and garunteed charging. Again perception, I can fill a normal truck to 100% and the family pee in 10-15 minutes. Convincing a family that they need to sit there for 20-30 minutes for 80% won't happen. Also if one gas station is full I can go across the street and pay 1c more a gallon and still be on my way. If you add wait time to a charger it won't work. You'll also need to design pull through chargers for those towing.

They'll have to figure out some cold weather stuff also. No one in the northern climates will accept decreased range. Again it's all about perception.

And offensively, some of you all need to pull your head out of Tesla's as. This company isn't the messiah, it's not saving the world. The average car/ truck buyer gives two craps about tesla and their mission and cleaner this or more effieicent that. They should, but they don't. Most tesla owners are in the very small minority and sadly you all don't realize it. It's hilarious to see people quote news stories and all I can do is laugh about how disconnected both are from reality. Point is, as the 3YT try to move toward mainstream buyers, you fan bois are going to have to get a grip on reality and how the world actually works. Tesla has sold /reserved what 700k vehicles in its existence. The US auto industry makes millions every months. Seriously, some of y'all will need to get a grip and stay frosty

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
We do it all the time, a fully loaded F150 4x4 long bed is still rated for over 11K towing, and they payload numbers are still there for the KR/Plat trims to actually hit those numbers. It's possible, and it happens every day, or weekend in our case. Axle weights are still within spec, there are threads all over the truck forums with people who post their scale tickets (including me).

Glad to hear it... seriously.

There are also tons of folks who aren't within spec. When I was towing, I ran in to them regularly. Some of them didn't know, and some of them knew and didn't care.

Just because you couldn't/wouldn't do something doesn't mean it can't/ shouldn't be done.

Which is why I've said it's not something I would want to do,

For the pick up to have any meaningful impact itll need a range of 300 miles towing 10k. It doesn't matter the vast majority of owners never even tow, it's the perception. I know plenty of people towing 10k+ in the F150 but I'm in a different group of people. I know just as many that have never towed anything and they may have put a cooler in the back.

I disagree with the assessment that the perception of being able to tow 10K lbs is required.. I know a number of folks who have bought pickups where towing didn't even factor in. A subset of those folks factored in bed capacity, but rarely use it. A smaller subset yet use it like a real truck.

My F-150 4x4 is used to haul brush, gravel, dirt and maybe a piece of equipment. Rarely use four wheel drive and it is more of a farm use truck. I would love to have something similar looking that is all electric so it will be interesting to see what Tesla comes up with. Do not need complicated just a full size bed and all wheel drive would work.

The complicated is what I'm scared of, Ford has the new auto tailgate and it's causing problems popping open on it's own, already seen some trailers/trucks screwed up because of it. Trucks already have 120v outlets for cordless tools, but with the inverter I'm sure they'll try to make a 15amp outlet for corded tools, that will be scary with the extension cord scenario, as the truck might not make it where the generator would. I expect them to eventually offer a 30/50amp outlet to appeal to certain crowds. Since people are paying for super charging there's no reason they couldn't use the Tesla to power their camp/worksites. On most jobsites you'll have a 6-8kw generator, even at max load you're looking at a full work day from the truck powering the jobsite and a drive home/ SC to recharge.

I'd expect them to use twin motors on the rear axle to offer better traction control. LSD and e-lockers come standard on all but the lowest end trucks and not sure if they can offer the same level with a single motor.

Figuring out the wifi thing that GM does should be on their list. Most people use it for the family but a lot of companies are catching on using it for site supervisors instead of cell data or data cards for the laptops. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't figured out the billing on this already. With as much data as they use for the car adding say 5-10gb for a flat fee shouldn't be difficult or saying screw it and just billing $40-$50/mth to cover unlimited, or yet again building it into the price of the car/truck. Seriously how much data can someone blow through in a car?

The complicated is what I'm scared of, Ford has the new auto tailgate and it's causing problems popping open on it's own, already seen some trailers/trucks screwed up because of it. Trucks already have 120v outlets for cordless tools, but with the inverter I'm sure they'll try to make a 15amp outlet for corded tools, that will be scary with the extension cord scenario, as the truck might not make it where the generator would. I expect them to eventually offer a 30/50amp outlet to appeal to certain crowds. Since people are paying for super charging there's no reason they couldn't use the Tesla to power their camp/worksites. On most jobsites you'll have a 6-8kw generator, even at max load you're looking at a full work day from the truck powering the jobsite and a drive home/ SC to recharge.

I'd expect them to use twin motors on the rear axle to offer better traction control. LSD and e-lockers come standard on all but the lowest end trucks and not sure if they can offer the same level with a single motor.

Figuring out the wifi thing that GM does should be on their list. Most people use it for the family but a lot of companies are catching on using it for site supervisors instead of cell data or data cards for the laptops. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't figured out the billing on this already. With as much data as they use for the car adding say 5-10gb for a flat fee shouldn't be difficult or saying screw it and just billing $40-$50/mth to cover unlimited, or yet again building it into the price of the car/truck. Seriously how much data can someone blow through in a car?
Thanks for the insides from someone that clearly uses a truck as it is designed to be used, at least from a tradie’s perspective. Agree about much of what you say regarding perception of the truck (or any model) capability. I mentioned Range Rover in an earlier post where the number of vehicles that go off road to any extent is small, and yet these cars are about as capable off road from the factory as you can get!
I disagree with you on the time to charge side of things. Even withnsay 450kms of actual range, if you are road tripping, the kids are going to want to be out of the car for more that 10-15. I have just done a 5000km road trip over Christmas, and charging required longer stops that I would have done in and ICE, but it wasn’t really that big a deal. Also for routine use, the car is charged pretty much every night. If your routine use means more than 4-5 hours of driving a day, then that’s a shed load of driving.
I guess I fall into the fan boi camp, but I think what is happening is that Tesla is making other marques take notice and Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissa etc are responding. So while I don’t think any fan boi feels Tesla is going to do it on their own, they are certainly leaders and, in my opinion, derserve to be supported as such.

With games, internet and streaming video kids seem to care less now a days. My little teen sister is content with drawing hearts for an hour on the doodle pad. Stops aren't going to be needed, and again its the perception. I'm active on about a dozen forums from motorcycles, racing, trucks, and hobbies. Every time the Tesla gets brought up and they hear it's a 45min charge of course they back out. The numbers that get quoted are always with the big batteries so yes tack on another $20K to get the rated 250 miles in 25-30 minutes. I don't like stopping in general and this last trip to georgia was like 16 hours overall, If i take the truck I'd be there in 11 and literally would not have stopped from when I left my house to when I arrived. I'd then turn around and drive back without stopping, all without have to refill once.

In every forum and every person I see in real life the charge time is the biggest thing to them. It's easy to explain away a 20 minute stop within 400km trip and again the vast majority of people will never even travel that more than a few times a year, if at all. The American problem is "I need it just in case" and "I have to own it" which is why no one is buying the affordable Bolt and renting a car for the 2 trips a year they make.

As far as air suspension being the "big thing" it depends. Ram already has it on their trucks so that's out the window. Ram uses it on the 1500 on all wheels and the big trucks use them on the rear.

LTE /wifi is already done by GM, Tesla could expand that to streaming video in the rear seats

There isn't much else a you would do that some company hasn't already. The biggest thing is going to be traction/steering but having multiple motors per axle. Even with 4x4 and an LSD I've gotten my truck stuck multiple times, an E-locker might have helped but you'd still be less than ideal in overall low traction conditions. Independent drive for each wheel would negate everything about differential or splitting torque. This would appeal to everyone who buys trucks to take off cliffs...... in the mall parking lot.

The other thing would be providing power like I stated above. a good off grid camper can run off 1600w, most can do 3000w even at the race track with everything on, including the hot tub I'll only burn 7-8kw. A day at the beach or tailgating before a game, picnics, etc would be perfect to power 2-3kw for a few hours and make it back home. For those that don't know Honda inverter generators have a cult following, kinda like some tesla owners. It's the be all end all, and no one will ever do better. Any occasion where an honda 2000 is mentioned it could be replaced buy a tesla. It pumps 2000w max and 1600 continuous and 1 gallon lasts about 8 hours. For the mass consumer, allowing at least 2kW would convert an entire subset of the truck market. If they would make an inverter that allowed 5-8 or even 10kw that would convert an entire other market in the construction/ contractor market.

On that note I'd guess the truck would have up to 150kw battery because of less efficiency than the car but better batteries by the release. Let's assume MX numbers in the 100 range, you could drive to a jobsite on what 20-30kwh, run 50kwh of tools for a workday then drive home or to the nearest SC, since SC is no longer free it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not even sure about that 50kwh figure because a generator is running, burning fuel regardless of load. A battery inverter setup would only use the energy required. Ideally for the contract side I'd want 4-8 120v outlets with a readout near them (not in the truck) to monitor usage. If using the battery to power real things isn't the "big thing" I'll be pissed, it better be some kind of thing. in the 3kw range.

With games, internet and streaming video kids seem to care less now a days. My little teen sister is content with drawing hearts for an hour on the doodle pad. Stops aren't going to be needed, and again its the perception. I'm active on about a dozen forums from motorcycles, racing, trucks, and hobbies. Every time the Tesla gets brought up and they hear it's a 45min charge of course they back out. The numbers that get quoted are always with the big batteries so yes tack on another $20K to get the rated 250 miles in 25-30 minutes. I don't like stopping in general and this last trip to georgia was like 16 hours overall, If i take the truck I'd be there in 11 and literally would not have stopped from when I left my house to when I arrived. I'd then turn around and drive back without stopping, all without have to refill once.

In every forum and every person I see in real life the charge time is the biggest thing to them. It's easy to explain away a 20 minute stop within 400km trip and again the vast majority of people will never even travel that more than a few times a year, if at all. The American problem is "I need it just in case" and "I have to own it" which is why no one is buying the affordable Bolt and renting a car for the 2 trips a year they make.
Yep, this kind of thinking is very much a part of things here in Oz too

No way you're fitting twin anything on a pickup chassis. Even chassis cabs with dual midship tank still only hold like 53gal total. Ford stepped up the game with the 48 in the long bed trucks this year but none of the others have come close. I met another hotshot guy in Idaho who claimed to have something like 45+ gallons from the factory dodge but I couldn't find anything online mentioning it. The small tanks were the reason I got the aux tank in the bed the extra 70 gallons means I stop for fuel usually when I get to the destination I've done multiple 1400+ mile runs empty in it. When towing I'll stop every 800-1000 miles. It's really gonna suck when EDLs are required for pickup CMVs (friends of course I'm out of hot shoting)

Faster charging and garunteed charging. Again perception, I can fill a normal truck to 100% and the family pee in 10-15 minutes. Convincing a family that they need to sit there for 20-30 minutes for 80% won't happen. Also if one gas station is full I can go across the street and pay 1c more a gallon and still be on my way. If you add wait time to a charger it won't work. You'll also need to design pull through chargers for those towing.

They'll have to figure out some cold weather stuff also. No one in the northern climates will accept decreased range. Again it's all about perception.

And offensively, some of you all need to pull your head out of Tesla's as. This company isn't the messiah, it's not saving the world. The average car/ truck buyer gives two craps about tesla and their mission and cleaner this or more effieicent that. They should, but they don't. Most tesla owners are in the very small minority and sadly you all don't realize it. It's hilarious to see people quote news stories and all I can do is laugh about how disconnected both are from reality. Point is, as the 3YT try to move toward mainstream buyers, you fan bois are going to have to get a grip on reality and how the world actually works. Tesla has sold /reserved what 700k vehicles in its existence. The US auto industry makes millions every months. Seriously, some of y'all will need to get a grip and stay frosty
thats weird cause my FJ cruiser can have a 30 gallon main tank and a 33 gallon aux tank from LRA

The FJ Cruiser below has the aux tank on it.

lra aux tank.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gavinhirst
Glad to hear it... seriously.

There are also tons of folks who aren't within spec. When I was towing, I ran in to them regularly. Some of them didn't know, and some of them knew and didn't care.

Which is why I've said it's not something I would want to do,

I am probably in that category with my FJ, but nothing is stock but the frame, the gross vehicle weight stock is 4295 lbs and Gross Vehicle Weight fully loaded is 5570 lbs. Mine with just aluminum offroad bumpers, 33's , a Radflo off road suspension, 1/4 inch stainless skid plates, from front to rear, 2 marine batteries, 12,000 winch, swingway rear bumper, 7 jerry cans, spare 33 inch wheel, off road jack, stereo upgrades, refrigerator, gun safe, guns, ammo, 2000 watt power inverter, rooftop tent, Maxtrax X 4, axe, shovel, toolbox, supercharger, intercooler, etc is 5150 lbs. Once I add passengers @ 200 to 250 each plus gear (assume 50 lbs each 250 lbs) - add another 1500 lbs, so GVW goes to 6650 lbs, then add my offroad trailer which has a 3500 lb axle and weights 775 lbs plus 2000 lbs of cargo (usually more). When maxed out I am close to 10,000 lbs between vehicle, passenger and cargo. The FJ has no issues pulling this, I just increase stopping distances and do more to maintain the brakes and added racing brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines and ceramic brake pads. This truck can carry way more than the legal specs that their attorneys allow them to quote, also they don't want you breaking anything that their corporation has to pay to fix under warranty.

I am probably in that category with my FJ, but nothing is stock but the frame, the gross vehicle weight stock is 4295 lbs and Gross Vehicle Weight fully loaded is 5570 lbs. Mine with just aluminum offroad bumpers, 33's , a Radflo off road suspension, 1/4 inch stainless skid plates, from front to rear, 2 marine batteries, 12,000 winch, swingway rear bumper, 7 jerry cans, spare 33 inch wheel, off road jack, stereo upgrades, refrigerator, gun safe, guns, ammo, 2000 watt power inverter, rooftop tent, Maxtrax X 4, axe, shovel, toolbox, supercharger, intercooler, etc is 5150 lbs. Once I add passengers @ 200 to 250 each plus gear (assume 50 lbs each 250 lbs) - add another 1500 lbs, so GVW goes to 6650 lbs, then add my offroad trailer which has a 3500 lb axle and weights 775 lbs plus 2000 lbs of cargo (usually more). When maxed out I am close to 10,000 lbs between vehicle, passenger and cargo. The FJ has no issues pulling this, I just increase stopping distances and do more to maintain the brakes and added racing brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines and ceramic brake pads. This truck can carry way more than the legal specs that their attorneys allow them to quote, also they don't want you breaking anything that their corporation has to pay to fix under warranty.

It's in the emergency/abnormal conditions that overloaded pulling is typically most dangerous.

• Informative
True, I have noticed that my offroad suspension likes to "dive" under emergency braking. I moved to 700 lb springs and higher damping and rebound, but the 200 lbs on the roof makes it top heavy and it "throws" that weight forward, making the front end drop. I also increased the sway bar sizes to help with "waddle".
I have changed my driving style to stay away from drivers who cut in front of me to prevent that condition. I have also decided that if I have to I will not make high speed lane changes in an emergency, but just drive through it, verses flipping the vehicle, which is the highest risk with a heavily loaded vehicle.

But you are absolutely right, you can't drive like an jackazz in a vehicle that is heavily loaded and you need to significantly increase following distances.
It feels weird moving from the FJ back to the Tesla, which feels light in comparison.

thats weird cause my FJ cruiser can have a 30 gallon main tank and a 33 gallon aux tank from LRA

The FJ Cruiser below has the aux tank on it.

View attachment 270883
This is not a pick up. What we would call a Ute in Oz. The FJ is built on the Landcruiser Prado chassis and they all come with this tank configuration from factory. can't see why you couldn't do this on a pick-up, but I've not seen this kind of fuel capacity from any brands (in Oz) that was not fitted with an after market long range fuel tank