Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.” Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/26/tesla-to-produce-pickup-after-model-y-rollout/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.” Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/26/tesla-to-produce-pickup-after-model-y-rollout/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Probably, but you never know, we might get surprised with something decent.

BAD:
automated door handles
no weird doors
no weird seats
no running boards (kills ground clearance, just lower the whole truck as I approach it)

GOOD:
Beat the Ford $100K Truck
Locker Down Gun Safe integrated under the rear seat
LORD MR Suspension
Dump Bed Option or 5th Wheel
Power Sliding rear window (whole window)
5th Wheel Hitch option with pre-drills standard!
Doors you can open wearing work gloves
LED off road lights like Rigid Industries Dually D2
Leather!
360 degree camera
PANO Roof (open it up)
Power lift gate with integrated steps
Auto trailer line-up
Headed Seats, Headed Steering Wheel
FM antenna that works in the suburbs to capture HD signals
Homelink that works flawlessly
LTE that works flawlessly
Spotify so I dont have to listen to Slacker being buffered all day
Waze
USB chargers 2.5 AMPS each X 10 (2 for each person)
240 Volt / 200 AMP plug so I can use this for power backup for my home
120 Volt / 20 AMP plugS so I can use multiple power tools and tailgating accessories
15 inches of suspension lift (so I can drop it when cruising on the highway, but lift it when the terrain gets tough)
A stereo that vibrates my molars (I'm old and blew my ear drums out in Afghanistan)
A Ham Radio option for us old communications guys.
Charging ports on both sides so I can plug into two superchargers and get it over with.
ChaDeMo integrated so when I have to use the crappy protocol I dont have to use a donkey dik adaptor.
Propane heater option, so I don't waste my battery.
Needs to go 300 miles on a charge so I can make it from DC to Shawsville VA doing 80 MPH
I would be ok with the black truck above.

I probably missed some key stuff, but this is a good start..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando and Ulmo
Ok, time to put together the wish list. Current Model X owner and previous vehicle was Discovery 4.
200kwh battery or 1000km range (actual not “rated” say hwy speed). For outback (Australia), trips this is a must Mr Musk @elonmusk
Think approach and departure angles, so placing wheels as far forward and back as possible.
Bull-bar front and rear ready with electronics in place to connect winch if required and a place to mount spare wheel(s) on rear bull bar.
Make sure it can take a roof rack (no falcon wing doors: my X creates lots of conversations when the doors are up and for that I am glad as starting conversations is why I got the X. Cost me a kidney and loss of beer money to get it).
Need to offer 17” rims to give plenty of tyre choices (LT tyre construction or side wall strength and bagging out for sand work). Perhaps a steel rim option too. Much easier to sort out a steel rim that got bent in the outback than to do it with alloys (speaking from experience).
For changing tyres allow the suspension to “lift up” the damaged corner so wheel changing does not require jacking the car. I was thinking I’d rear left was flat, pump up rear right and front left and have the front right be a little owner so no risk of truck tipping onto corner being repaired. In addition still need to consider places to left car on a hi-lift jack.
D4 had a standard off road suspension setting of 2.5” lift), then there was another 2.5” if all 4 wheels spin (bellied, but less of a risk with Tesla as no diffs to catch), and then another 2.5” for emergency. Give us this and allow first off-road lift to be maintained at speeds up to 80kmh (need this for sand and potentially snow).
Regen “dial-able” in place of other styles of hill decent control that employ the use of ABS system to control decent speed (I never used this, but being able to have the regen braking as a means of controlling decent speed on rocky steps would be brilliant).
Have a low range “setting” via extending the throttle travel so larger depression needed to cause forward motion (similar to how the D4 does it) and or a “Terrain response” where accelerator and brake sensitivity responsiveness adjust to terrain types (sand or rock or snow or mud) D4 changes gearbox too, but this not needed in a Tesla.
Underbody needs to be potentially tougher than aluminium. Maybe options for attachment of steel rock sliders to protect door sill areas and motors if they are low enough to be at risk. The X looks brilliant on the underside and if I could get a higher lift I would look to take it more places off road.
“Wadding” rating so you can be assured of the depth of water crossing you could attempt at various suspension settings, or a water crossing option to allow you to take the vehicle up to the bonnet (wouldn’t want to go any deeper than that and even then if it was fast moving water I would think twice, but extra weight would make it excellent for crossing loose stoney bottomed rivers). A cool feature would be if the lidar or maybe sonar, could be used to create an image of the river bottom so the driver could avoid big holes and or rocks (it is a Wishlist after all).
Ability to disable either motor in the event of a drive train issue (broken driveshaft, axel or CV joint).
Tow pack upgrade for camper trailer towing (electrics ready to attach electronic brakes for trailer). In an ideal universe, this trailer braking feature would be controlled by the vehicle software to additional buttons wouldn’t be required. Bluetooth trailer tyre pressure monitoring option (be handy if spare wheels had this option too so air can be checked containly as spares can not be in used for extended periods).
Ability to deflate tyres via software.
Ability to use onboard air compressor for tyre reinflation. Ditch wing mirrors for cameras to reduce vehicles width.
Car wrap paint protection option to keep paint from getting the traditional “bush pin-stripes”.
Internal rubber floor mats to replace any internal carpets as they take a beating when out in the bush.
I think that’s a good start. Keen to see what other attributes people might think would be good.

Ok, time to put together the wish list. Current Model X owner and previous vehicle was Discovery 4.
200kwh battery or 1000km range (actual not “rated” say hwy speed). For outback (Australia), trips this is a must Mr Musk @elonmusk
Think approach and departure angles, so placing wheels as far forward and back as possible.
Bull-bar front and rear ready with electronics in place to connect winch if required and a place to mount spare wheel(s) on rear bull bar.
Make sure it can take a roof rack (no falcon wing doors: my X creates lots of conversations when the doors are up and for that I am glad as starting conversations is why I got the X. Cost me a kidney and loss of beer money to get it).
Need to offer 17” rims to give plenty of tyre choices (LT tyre construction or side wall strength and bagging out for sand work). Perhaps a steel rim option too. Much easier to sort out a steel rim that got bent in the outback than to do it with alloys (speaking from experience).
For changing tyres allow the suspension to “lift up” the damaged corner so wheel changing does not require jacking the car. I was thinking I’d rear left was flat, pump up rear right and front left and have the front right be a little owner so no risk of truck tipping onto corner being repaired. In addition still need to consider places to left car on a hi-lift jack.
D4 had a standard off road suspension setting of 2.5” lift), then there was another 2.5” if all 4 wheels spin (bellied, but less of a risk with Tesla as no diffs to catch), and then another 2.5” for emergency. Give us this and allow first off-road lift to be maintained at speeds up to 80kmh (need this for sand and potentially snow).
Regen “dial-able” in place of other styles of hill decent control that employ the use of ABS system to control decent speed (I never used this, but being able to have the regen braking as a means of controlling decent speed on rocky steps would be brilliant).
Have a low range “setting” via extending the throttle travel so larger depression needed to cause forward motion (similar to how the D4 does it) and or a “Terrain response” where accelerator and brake sensitivity responsiveness adjust to terrain types (sand or rock or snow or mud) D4 changes gearbox too, but this not needed in a Tesla.
Underbody needs to be potentially tougher than aluminium. Maybe options for attachment of steel rock sliders to protect door sill areas and motors if they are low enough to be at risk. The X looks brilliant on the underside and if I could get a higher lift I would look to take it more places off road.
“Wadding” rating so you can be assured of the depth of water crossing you could attempt at various suspension settings, or a water crossing option to allow you to take the vehicle up to the bonnet (wouldn’t want to go any deeper than that and even then if it was fast moving water I would think twice, but extra weight would make it excellent for crossing loose stoney bottomed rivers). A cool feature would be if the lidar or maybe sonar, could be used to create an image of the river bottom so the driver could avoid big holes and or rocks (it is a Wishlist after all).
Ability to disable either motor in the event of a drive train issue (broken driveshaft, axel or CV joint).
Tow pack upgrade for camper trailer towing (electrics ready to attach electronic brakes for trailer). In an ideal universe, this trailer braking feature would be controlled by the vehicle software to additional buttons wouldn’t be required. Bluetooth trailer tyre pressure monitoring option (be handy if spare wheels had this option too so air can be checked containly as spares can not be in used for extended periods).
Ability to use onboard air compressor for tyre reinflation. Ditch wing mirrors for cameras to reduce vehicles width.
Car wrap paint protection option to keep paint from getting the traditional “bush pin-stripes”.
Internal rubber floor mats to replace any internal carpets as they take a beating when out in the bush.
I think that’s a good start. Keen to see what other attributes people might think would be good.
I like the way you think!!! I want this vehicle, so I can use it as an Over Sand Vehicle at the beach!!!

• Love
Reactions: Gavinhirst
The truck image shown appears much larger than a 'family' truck. It looks the size of a builder's truck or a city corporation utility vehicle. Elon must have released this impression just to create controversy; to create publicity for the Tesla pickup prospect.
Elon stated that the truck will be about the same size or maybe a little larger than the F150. The black truck image from the Semi reveal seems to be just a reference to show what could be done with the Semi chassis if it were turned into a truck.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
My wishlist is simple: 4-wheel steer, like my Quadrasteer Yukon XL. Once you backup a big trailer through an S-curve of obstacles on a street and get into places you could never get to, be able to U-turn in a residential street, and pull into a parking lot space easier than a car, you don't go back.

Reactions: Gavinhirst
I hate to say it, but these features are useful for about 1% of truck buyers. Those buyers typically mod their truck like crazy. Most American truck buyers (sadly) are asphalt rangers.. load up the couch or some lumber in the back. Even the commercial / fleet side doesn't need pretty much anything you mentioned other than tire inflation. To get into the mainstream pickup market, he needs to make it similar, with similar requirements, but done better and things like BEV torque capabilities will sell it, not off road suspension with lift and fording kits.

Reactions: Brando and Manton
I hate to say it, but these features are useful for about 1% of truck buyers. Those buyers typically mod their truck like crazy. Most American truck buyers (sadly) are asphalt rangers.. load up the couch or some lumber in the back. Even the commercial / fleet side doesn't need pretty much anything you mentioned other than tire inflation. To get into the mainstream pickup market, he needs to make it similar, with similar requirements, but done better and things like BEV torque capabilities will sell it, not off road suspension with lift and fording kits.

Well it is interesting that just about all these features are available in current (and past), Land Rover and Range Rover models and I would suggest that 99% of these buyers also never see a dirt road let alone rock steps of sand dunes. The Tesla currently site sin the Rangie price bracket, so I don't think it is too much of a stretch. Not to mention that Elon is always wanting to build the "best" when ever he can. Might as well give him the opportunity. I also think that having the car ready to accept these mods even if they are not factory options would be worth while.

I'm just hoping I get a call to be a test driver :)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
My wishlist is simple: 4-wheel steer, like my Quadrasteer Yukon XL. Once you backup a big trailer through an S-curve of obstacles on a street and get into places you could never get to, be able to U-turn in a residential street, and pull into a parking lot space easier than a car, you don't go back.

I was always blown away by the D4 turning circle. Way better than even the Model X

I'm most curious what the "game changing feature" will be. Reading through some of your thoughts i'm thinking that it will be able to lower or lift itself a significant amount instantly. Seems like the most useful and novel feature.

What else could be game changing? Some sort of transforming action? 8 seater van to huge bed?

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I'm most curious what the "game changing feature" will be. Reading through some of your thoughts i'm thinking that it will be able to lower or lift itself a significant amount instantly. Seems like the most useful and novel feature.

What else could be game changing? Some sort of transforming action? 8 seater van to huge bed?
It has a dump bed that dances to Christmas music!

7500 lbs? What kind of kids toy are you dreaming up? It better be able to tow at least double that or it'll be laughed at.
Well according to Ford: The towing capacity of the Ford F-150 ranges from 5,000 lbs. to 13,200 lbs

So the F-150 (the vehicle Elon compared it to) can't tow twice that. I guess folks are laughing that that?

A 7,500 lb. capacity would seem to put it in the middle of that range.

(Incidentally, having towed a ~10,000 lb trailer with my F350 CrewCab Longbed 7.2L diesel, there's no way I'd want to tow 13,000+ lbs in an F-150)

... Remember you usually have single or twin 50 gallon tanks eating space under the body of a truck.

What truck are you talking about? certainly not a pick up. The common 6' bed trucks have about 26gallons and the long beds will have around 36. Ford upped that on the longest wheel base trucks for 2017 but they are the only one.

Well according to Ford: The towing capacity of the Ford F-150 ranges from 5,000 lbs. to 13,200 lbs

So the F-150 (the vehicle Elon compared it to) can't tow twice that. I guess folks are laughing that that?

A 7,500 lb. capacity would seem to put it in the middle of that range.

(Incidentally, having towed a ~10,000 lb trailer with my F350 CrewCab Longbed 7.2L diesel, there's no way I'd want to tow 13,000+ lbs in an F-150)

Not sure what was wrong with your truck but I tow more than that in a 7.3 and my 6.0. People I know with the 6.7s are towing 20-25K with no problems. I know plenty of people that tow a their race trailers and toy haulers with the F150 and they have no problems towing north of 10K

Not sure what was wrong with your truck but I tow more than that in a 7.3 and my 6.0.

Well, the those are not in the F-150, that was my point.

By the time you factor in the curb weight of the truck, the GCWR's, axle ratings, and trailer weights, it's going to be almost impossible to be not overloaded by the time you add people, fluids, gear in the truck bed, supplies in the trailer, etc...

5th wheel towing makes it a bit better, but that's an awfully light truck for that much trailer.

(and I typo'd my rig, it was a 7.3, not 7.2)

People I know with the 6.7s are towing 20-25K with no problems.

Provided they are in a F-350 or higher, that makes sense. Even them I see folks overloaded all the time. They tend to think because their engine can move it, they're fine. It's their brakes stopping it that's the bigger issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando