Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Raise FSD Price by $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chief Executive Elon Musk says consumers need to pay up for the “full self-driving” option on their cars, saying it could have a value of $100,000.

Tesla will increase the price of the option by $1,000 starting July 1, Musk tweeted Monday. FSD launched as a $5,000 add-on until the automaker raised to the current price of $7,000.

“The FSD price will continue to rise as the software gets closer to full self-driving capability with regulatory approval,” Musk said tweeted. “[At] that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.”

While consumers can buy the feature now, “full self-driving” is not fully baked. The car still needs some driver assistance. But, Tesla continues to promise the full experience soon.

Musk believes as the cars continually gain autonomous capability, their value will rise. Tesla plans to use the autonomous features to launch a robo-taxi network in the future, which Musk says will turn the cars into money-makers for owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I actually enjoy walking and always park forever away from the entrance to anywhere I am going just fo the walk. If it was pouring rain I might actually use it but never on a regular basis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't mind the walk either, but it's useful when I have my hands full with grocery bags, but an auto opening trunk and frunk would be just as useful (I know there are aftermarket solutions, but I'm always a bit shaky on aftermarket electrical modifications on any car).

Yet more evidence to prove Musk's mental separation from reality. In no universe is FSD worth $10,000, let alone $100,000. Why are Tesla owners paying thousands of dollars to be beta testers? Tesla should be paying you! Sometimes Tesla owners can be the dimmest bulbs in the room, with more money than brains.

Because groupthink and Musk as the superhero plus people not grounded in reality equals sheep running off the cliff. Consider of all the people here that ran to buy the FSD upgrade last time as it "was going to go up" then it went down, then up and now up again, all while it has been "feature complete". People will justify spending money on mostly useless upgrades and Musk will keep announcing a new hardware version. In the meantime count the disagrees for those that ran their CC to pay for small incremental buggy upgrades. I wonder when people are going to wake up to the reality of the Tesla "Spin the revenue wheel game". AP should cost less in Beta not more. When there are substantial upgrades then it may make sense to buy. In the meantime if no one fell for this the price would be DROPPING. Just like white paint that was "more costly" but now is standard. LOL. Once you paint your garage to look like a Tesla store you will beleive anything:)

And I see we have our first buyer..

Yet more evidence to prove Musk's mental separation from reality. In no universe is FSD worth $10,000, let alone $100,000. Why are Tesla owners paying thousands of dollars
The alternative is a Waymo approach. "We will release it only when we are ready".

I remember following the DARPA Grand and DARPA Urban Challenges and thinking "this is awesome, this is the way forward".
Waymo was that winning team of the DARPA challenges coming under the Google umbrella.
In 2012 Brin said that they will be ready for "robot cars" in 5 years... Google's Sergey Brin: You'll ride in robot cars within 5 years
Yet, here we are, still waiting on unfettered L4 and higher from Google/Waymo in mid 2020.

Tesla/Musk promise a lot, but they also deliver a lot. Yes FSD is not here yet.
But, for someone who started on AP1 and gone through the roller-coaster of AP2, ups and downs, parity with AP1 then NoA, and now city driving, Tesla is the only one providing to the general public a tangible product with a defined vision. Something that anyone that "bought into it" can tag along and experience for themselves on a daily basis.

That is not something you can do with any other company working on Autonomous Cars today.

No one can force you to buy FSD, even Musk stating that it will go up in price, there is no way he can make you pay for it, unless you want to be part of the process.
Even when buying my first Tesla with AP1, the order page said Autopilot will improve with over-the-air updates.
And sure enough, it did improve with over-the-air updates. Did I ever get NoA on AP1? No! Was I ever promised that on AP1? No!

Last edited:
Tesla/Musk promise a lot, but they also deliver a lot. Yes FSD is not here yet.
But, for someone who started on AP1 and gone through the roller-coaster of AP2, ups and downs, parity with AP1 then NoA, and now city driving, Tesla is the only one providing to the general public a tangible product with a defined vision. Something that anyone that "bought into it" can tag along and experience for themselves on a daily basis.

That is not something you can do with any other company working on Autonomous Cars today.

No one can force you to buy FSD, even Musk stating that it will go up in price, there is no way he can make you pay for it, unless you want to be part of the process.
Even when buying my first Tesla with AP1, the order page said Autopilot will improve with over-the-air updates.
And sure enough, it did improve with over-the-air updates. Did I ever get NoA on AP1? No! Was I ever promised that on AP1? No!

So you paid a premium to " be part of the process". Tesla should not be charging full price unless they can deliver the full product and delivering pieces is nice but not for the price of the whole pie. But thank you for subsidizing Tesla development. Most companies have Beta testers but Tesla has ones that pay many times over. Don't forget that Musk promised things that were never delivered that people payed for as well. If I wanted incremental updates I would rater buy them rather than be led to believe something is just around the corner.

Tesla is the only one providing to the general public a tangible product with a defined vision" Change that to:

"A tangible product with a defined vision" $500 click here to add to order.

"Hit the turn signal to change lanes but confirm it first to make it a pointless feature" $750 click here to add to order.

"Summon to your local body repair shop because you are too lazy to back up yourself" $500 click here to add to order.

"Auto park to grind the dirt off your rims" $250 click here to add to order.

"Paint that stays on the car" Coming soon

"Tesla garage Paint" $99.95 a gallon

"Be part of the process" Add your donation amount here________ * Not tax deductible, your experience may vary, check Elon's twitter feed for exact features. Tweets may vary, Cool-Aide sold separately. Strange child-like rants included.

Tesla should not be charging full price unless they can deliver the full product and delivering pieces is nice but not for the price of the whole pie.
Tesla can charge whatever I am/customers are willing to pay.
What you are upset about is that you do not want to pay for it, and all these other people did. I am not advocating for you to go buy FSD, I am advocating for "you" (you here is for everyone who keeps bashing, shaming, making fun of others) to stop telling me what to do with my money.

Again, no one can make you pay for anything Tesla is selling.
You chose what you want to pay for.
I chose to pay for FSD, and I enjoy the process.

You are upset with me because I chose to spend my money how I wish to spend it.

Last edited:
Tesla can charge whatever I am/customers are willing to pay.
What you are upset about is that you do not want to pay for it, and all these other people did. I am not advocating for you to go buy FSD, I am advocating for "you" (you here is for everyone who keeps bashing, shaming, making fun of others) to stop telling me what to do with my money.

Again, no one can make you pay for anything Tesla is selling.
You chose what you want to pay for.
I chose to pay for FSD, and I enjoy the process

You are upset with me because I chose to spend my money how I wish to spend it.

I'm not upset and Tesla can charge what they want and you can pay what you like, I'm not sure why I would be upset about how you spend your money. Please spend all you can on these upgrades it helps my share price. I never made fun of you I'm making fun of the ridiculousness of Teslas vague promises, pricing dart board, and the fact that they charge full price for beta features. Tesla owners do tend to over justify and defend the pricing of Tesla options. I'm on my 3rd Tesla and stopped buying into the nonsense a long time ago.

Last edited:
Currently I can’t even trust it there.

Same here. Empty parking area where my Model S was the ONLY vehicle. Broad daylight. Camera lenses totally clear/clean. Sensors have nothing obstructing them. Fully update on latest software. And still managed to drive up onto a curb.

Oh, and the auto parking thing where it allegedly will park itself between two cars (when the "P" happens to show up on the screen, which is like, 20% of the time) ..that thing barely works.

But Im supposed to believe FSD is "Feature Complete" by end of this year. From my garage at home to the parking lot at work. All autonomous.

Smart Summon has been "beta" (As it states on my screen) for how long now? But FSD in its entirety is supposed to be finished by year end?

How about we pay for it now, and we get a guarantee from Tesla that if we dont get whats promised functionality wise by a specific date stated ahead of time? We get a full refund. THEN I might be tempted to bit. But no, Im not paying for promises that have shown to not be delivered anywhere close to promised dates.

That old "fool me once" saying...

How about we pay for it now, and we get a guarantee from Tesla that if we dont get whats promised functionality wise by a specific date stated ahead of time? We get a full refund. THEN I might be tempted to bit. But no, Im not paying for promises that have shown to not be delivered anywhere close to promised dates.

Yes. If Elon can promise a definitive date of the full release of FSD or I get my money back (I can forgive the interest), I'll be happy to pay the $7k.

No, it just means that a half-baked feature has been added. Tesla just keeps increasing the price when that happens to try to pressure people into buying it now, rather than holding off to see whether Tesla ever delivers something valuable.

Yes, "half-baked", or "not invented yet".. This price increase must be the purest bull *sugar* ever from Musk.

Tesla should not be charging full price unless they can deliver the full product and delivering pieces is nice but not for the price of the whole pie

What makes you think $7K or $8K is full price for FSD? Musk just said it's worth $100K. Yeah that's loony but he's made the statement several times now that the current pricing is discounted since you a pre-paying. We really don't know what full price will be for FSD from Tesla or anyone else, since it's not here yet. But it's not hard to imagine a fully autonomous option being $20k. It turns your car into something completely different. Look at the performance package - people are paying $20K for that, and all it does is make the car accelerate faster in a straight line.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
What makes you think $7K or $8K is full price for FSD? Musk just said it's worth $100K. Yeah that's loony but he's made the statement several times now that the current pricing is discounted since you a pre-paying. We really don't know what full price will be for FSD from Tesla or anyone else, since it's not here yet. But it's not hard to imagine a fully autonomous option being $20k. It turns your car into something completely different. Look at the performance package - people are paying $20K for that, and all it does is make the car accelerate faster in a straight line.
This is textbook business ‘bs’.
Just like buying a car when the salesman said if you buy it now it’ll be certain number.
It’s nothing more than try to get as much cash as possible so their numbers would look good to Wall Street.

Either you buy it or you don’t. Tesla offers so few options to begin with (paint, wheels, interior color, and FSD?, pretty much?). Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo offer premium sound systems that cost thousands of dollars, and all they do is play music. At least FSD gives you something that sort of does something.

Edit: Volvo’s L3 system, which is supposed to debut on the new SPA2 XC90 is supposed to cost in the “five figure range”. Just sayin.

I could be wrong but I don't think Elon was saying that the actual price of just the FSD option alone would be $100k. He was saying that the value of your Model 3 when it is a full robotaxi would be $100k because of the revenue it could generate in a year. I highly doubt that Tesla will ever charge $100k for just the FSD package if it did enable robotaxi-level autonomy. But $20k for the robotaxi FSD package, sure.

Before the end of summer the FSD package will be changed into something else, maybe included in the price on the long range, and half price for the standard range. Just speculating. But Tesla can not charge 8 000 euros for FSD in Europe with the competition they already got, and that will even get tougher in Q3,Q¤ and next year.
Sales in Norway is already slow, low demand.
I am willing to bet they have changed that package before end of august. Could be a campaign; all new LR cars with FSD included.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd