Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Unveil Supercharger Version 3.0 Tonight In California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
95kw at 67% isn't wildly better than what we're seeing with the present S-100D. So that implies that the 250kw is really only in the early stages of charging.

As I don't see the "beta" status of the charging station making a difference in the taper. That's a function of the car/batteries. And those are not in beta. I suspect that a bunch of people will be disappointed when they see how quickly the taper drops off. I expect that almost all of the benefit over L2 will take place below 45%. And that's not say that there's not value in that; there is. But it's not what people are hoping for, I think.

The taper is just battery software, no limitation from the charger. The taper is set by Tesla to minimise battery degradation. It would make sense to set a conservative taper until they have more data, but maybe they are taking a risk and going aggressive from the start.

I guess Tesla doesn't really care about MS or MX so it will come at a later date supposedly.

"Don't attribute malice to that which can adequately explained by incompetence." Actually, incompetence isn't the right word. It's more about insufficient resources... battery supply, people, organizational capacity, money, etc... They care, of course. They've got a lot of balls in the air and they're trying to not drop them - with mixed success.

Reactions: rrosenbl
Which will happen.... ???

I'm assuming that the S/X are currently on sale to clear inventory before the new versions are introduced based on gigafactory battery packs.

Tesla would have considered the path to 2170 cells for the S/X from the beginning of designing the model 3 pack. Not that the new pack will be the model 3 pack, but a enhanced and obviously higher capacity version. If the acceleration of the S/X P version is pack limited I would expect the new cars to get faster.

Ideal timing for Tesla announcing new packs would be around the release of Q1 financial results.

Reactions: rrosenbl
early data (graphs) from a fan on Twitter @privateer should clarify:
fullsizeoutput_6a9a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6a9b.jpeg