Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Unveil Supercharger Version 3.0 Tonight In California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Right on schedule. Tesla has announced the unveiling of its first-ever Supercharger version 3.0. This higher-powered charger will further enable and encourage long-distance travel. Tesla CEO Elon Musk told us it would open this Wednesday and, sure enough, it will. This new, higher-powered Supercharger will enhance the long-distance travel capabilities of all Tesla vehicles. Before we dive...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/06/first-tesla-supercharger-version-3-open/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

• Love
Reactions: APotatoGod
Right on schedule. Tesla has announced the unveiling of its first-ever Supercharger version 3.0. This higher-powered charger will further enable and encourage long-distance travel. Tesla CEO Elon Musk told us it would open this Wednesday and, sure enough, it will. This new, higher-powered Supercharger will enhance the long-distance travel capabilities of all Tesla vehicles. Before we dive...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/06/first-tesla-supercharger-version-3-open/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Oh good, I was wondering when there would be a dedicated thread about this :p

From reddit’s thread here we got some info on the V3s. Thanks rexorz!

Max rate of 250 kW
No more load splitting
Cars will precondition on their way to the charger
Firmware update is needed for V3
C8E5D73F-7344-405E-B32B-14FA0972A877.jpeg

The 1,000 mph piece is going to get the headlines, but that's going to be largely moot for quite awhile (zero public sites now, and very few for months).

But the rest is very useful--v2 sites getting upgraded in the next few weeks from 120 kW peak to 145 kW, and vehicle firmware to precondition the battery while navigating to a Supercharger to improve initial charge rate for cold batteries. Those are both significant improvements, and will be available fleet-wide very soon.

+25 kW may not be as eye-popping as 1,000 mph, but the total 'quick-charge' power on my Leaf was 45ish kW. We're getting half that much power added as an effective OTA upgrade...

250kW. 0-80% in 27 minutes.

Model 3 supported only it seems though?

I guess Tesla doesn't really care about MS or MX so it will come at a later date supposedly.

While for obvious reasons they used the Model 3 for the announcement video, that does not mean everyone else gets no benefit, as per the blog post --
"Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you. With these significant technical improvements, we anticipate the typical charging time at a V3 Supercharger will drop to around 15 minutes."

So it looks like we must wait to find out exactly what "full power" we can take.
If the 1st V3 station is now open, and the necessary sw update released, that should not take so long!
And in any case 145kW charge rates for 12,000+ V2 Superchargers will be unlocked over the coming weeks, which is the least we can expect will work for 100D packs, I am sure!

Up to 256kW for M3 (presumably LR) is fantastic, certainly more than I ever expected, and will be a major sales driver in future, leaving competing OEMs eating dust again before their first serious offerings even hit the market at 100..150kW max.

Another potential benefit is that European M3 owners with CCS2 plugs and new sw should be able to use IONITY HPCs at full speed up to 6 months before Tesla's first v3 SuC even appears over here in Q4!

Last edited:
Reactions: Model S M.D.
Id be happy if Tesla would fix my NOT being able to charge at old chargers. They dont care that some of us with 2012, 2013, 2014s cant use old super chargers since v9 was installed.
My service man has gone with me to chargers to verofy my problem . Yet Tesla refuses to fix it.
They said 18.50.6 would fix it, NOT. Im trapped at home, cant go on any trips.

It looks like supercharger V3 should charge 20-80% on the LR Model 3 in somewhere between 14 and 19 minutes. Hard to know exactly what the taper curve looks like now, but even between 50-80% SoC i think it should average above 100kW. I think this means a LR should add 170 to 215 EPA miles in 15 minutes (215-270 NEDC) vs a Porsche advertising 0-80%/258 NEDC miles in 15 mins (c.180 EPA miles). I should note I think Porsche's marketing is based on starting at 0% state of charge which isn't ever likely to happen in practice; if they start instead at 20% Soc, Porsche miles per minute will be far lower.

I don't know if 250kW is the LR model 3 battery maximum as well as the supercharger maximum. 250kW corresponds to a peak 13.5 amps for each of the LR cells.

If this is the cell maximum, then the SR Model 3 20-80% charge time will be the same, but miles per minute charge will be lower as the battery pack will not be able to take the maximum 250kW (max would be c.170kW).

However, if 13.5 amps is not the max for model 3 cells, then SR could potentially take a max of 20 amps per cell, corresponding to maintaining a 250kW peak. This could make the SR miles per minute charge the same as LR, while the 20-80% charge time would be much faster (9-12 mins).

It looks like supercharger V3 should charge 20-80% on the LR Model 3 in somewhere between 14 and 19 minutes. Hard to know exactly what the taper curve looks like now, but even between 50-80% SoC i think it should average above 100kW. I think this means a LR should add 170 to 215 EPA miles in 15 minutes (215-270 NEDC) vs a Porsche advertising 0-80%/258 NEDC miles in 15 mins (c.180 EPA miles). I should note I think Porsche's marketing is based on starting at 0% state of charge which isn't ever likely to happen in practice; if they start instead at 20% Soc, Porsche miles per minute will be far lower.

I don't know if 250kW is the LR model 3 battery maximum as well as the supercharger maximum. 250kW corresponds to a peak 13.5 amps for each of the LR cells.

If this is the cell maximum, then the SR Model 3 20-80% charge time will be the same, but miles per minute charge will be lower as the battery pack will not be able to take the maximum 250kW (max would be c.170kW).

However, if 13.5 amps is not the max for model 3 cells, then SR could potentially take a max of 20 amps per cell, corresponding to maintaining a 250kW peak. This could make the SR miles per minute charge the same as LR, while the 20-80% charge time would be much faster (9-12 mins).

Where do you get that 20-80% in 14-19 minutes? The only video I saw shows a brief bit of charging at the start of the cycle. Did I miss something that shows what the taper curve looks like?

Where do you get that 20-80% in 14-19 minutes? The only video I saw shows a brief bit of charging at the start of the cycle. Did I miss something that shows what the taper curve looks like?

We don't know any firm details yet, but from the periscope video: tesla_raj @tesla_raj we were told a 15%-67% charge in around 16 minutes and it was still at c.95kW (I presume this was a LR car with the old 310 mile range) - this should map to around 19 minutes 15-75% charge. A 5-65% or 10-70% charge should also be significantly quicker.
Hopefully we'll get enough data and videos to have a clear estimate of the 60% charging time range in the next few days.

Given this station is still a beta I presume Tesla are still being conservative on the charge taper and it looks like the taper starts earlier than V2 - I wouldn't be surprised to see some upgrades to the taper curve once they have more data.

We don't know any firm details yet, but from the periscope video: tesla_raj @tesla_raj we were told a 15%-67% charge in around 16 minutes and it was still at c.95kW (I presume this was a LR car with the old 310 mile range) - this should map to around 19 minutes 15-75% charge. A 5-65% or 10-70% charge should also be significantly quicker.
Hopefully we'll get enough data and videos to have a clear estimate of the 60% charging time range in the next few days.

Given this station is still a beta I presume Tesla are still being conservative on the charge taper and it looks like the taper starts earlier than V2 - I wouldn't be surprised to see some upgrades to the taper curve once they have more data.

95kw at 67% isn't wildly better than what we're seeing with the present S-100D. So that implies that the 250kw is really only in the early stages of charging.

As I don't see the "beta" status of the charging station making a difference in the taper. That's a function of the car/batteries. And those are not in beta. I suspect that a bunch of people will be disappointed when they see how quickly the taper drops off. I expect that almost all of the benefit over L2 will take place below 45%. And that's not say that there's not value in that; there is. But it's not what people are hoping for, I think.