Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trying to install a used battery in my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it keep your existing warranty? Will it be guaranteed to have like new range? Those are the only things that I would be concerned about.

Guaranteed "like new"... no. Guaranteed "like what's being replaced"? Yes, of course.

I totally understand where @ZoomsansVroom is coming from... it's shocking to many when they learn that insurance repairs are done often with remanufactured or recycled parts. This isn't a Tesla thing, but an insurance thing.

You of course have the ability to request a new part -- and pay the cost difference yourself. That /would/ be a conversation between you and Tesla.

But all insurance is required to do is return your car to as it was; not necessarily use new parts. They use remanufactured parts wherever possible.

It's infuriating, sure, but that's the reality of the situation.

For anyone confused, one of OP's most recent posts is this:

"A drive shaft cam off a truck in I-95 and punched a hole in it."

This will indeed be an insurance thing, not necessarily a Tesla thing. You can double-check the details of your policy, but it's entirely normal to use remanufactured/refurbished parts of equivalent performance. Some repairs under insurance also come with their own additional warranties.

Even if this was a non-insurance warranty replacement, Tesla's stated warranty policy is to use something of equivalent capacity at minimum. This could be new or refurbished. You pre-replacement part was used, after all.

Checked with Tesla, they said only a used part is available for my car - which I got in May of 2019.

Not sure why they would have stopped producing new parts for a 17 month old car.

They said it will come with the remainder of “original 10 year, unlimited mileage warranty”

So, they are dumping a battery which failed QC at some point, on me. I’ll dump the car once fixed, and let my insurance company deal with any diminished value claims.

I checked, my insurance company approved the full 16k Tesla asked for the battery, and did not request used parts.

Checked with Tesla, they said only a used part is available for my car - which I got in May of 2019.

Not sure why they would have stopped producing new parts for a 17 month old car.

They said it will come with the remainder of “original 10 year, unlimited mileage warranty”

So, they are dumping a battery which failed QC at some point, on me. I’ll dump the car once fixed, and let my insurance company deal with any diminished value claims.

I checked, my insurance company approved the full 16k Tesla asked for the battery, and did not request used parts.

The batteries are different for the 2021 Model 3, so it's actually quite possible they're not doing new manufacture of those packs.

10 year unlimited mileage is above and beyond the original warranty, by a lot. That's actually a sick deal. You have that in writing? I'd actually value your car higher with that warranty in place, that's amazing.

Did they say this battery failed QC, or is that your assumption? If it failed and they fixed it, honestly that's also good - it's a new pack guaranteed to not have issues because they've been fixed. That's better than some of the recent stories with a couple SR+ that had significant degradation on delivery.

Other than the hassle, it honestly looks like you're coming out ahead.

Their warranty statement “Mr. Zoom In regards to the battery replacement a remanufactured High Voltage battery is the only option available for this vehicle. The battery will still have the same warranty coverage on it which is based off your original purchase date and is active for 10 year/unlimited miles.”

Ok. I really think you're getting a very good deal out of this. A 10/unlimited warranty on the battery is fantastic. If it turns out to be a garbage battery outside of the warranty thresholds, they'll replace it.

Let me be clear. I'd want a new battery too in your case. But with this warranty? I'd take it and run with it. But I also drive a lot and would take full advantage of the unlimited miles part.

I doubt the issue is the newer batteries aren't compatible. Physically they should be exactly the same. I'd imagine only SW config changes would be required for the car.

I wouldn't be concerned with a reman battery if Tesla is still honoring the warranty. The reality is the battery has a massive environmental impact. If a battery can be saved/reman'ed it's a big win. I wonder if they are disassembling damaged batteries and reorganizing good banks. I'd imagine there is profit to be made there.

Reactions: GZDongles
Their warranty statement “Mr. Zoom In regards to the battery replacement a remanufactured High Voltage battery is the only option available for this vehicle. The battery will still have the same warranty coverage on it which is based off your original purchase date and is active for 10 year/unlimited miles.”

He has no idea what he is talking about. Your battery never had a 10-year/unlimited miles warranty. And the warranty on their site clearly lists that buying a battery pack as a replacement part only comes with a 4-year/50k mile warranty, which is worse than the 8-year/120k warranty that the original pack that your car came with had. (Of course if you were already past 70k miles that would be a good thing as the replacement pack would be warrantied longer.)

Thank you, it sounds like I need to have a chat with my lawyer. TMK, car manufacturers are required to inventory parts for 5 years

They are not required to put in a brand new part in your car though, they only need to put in something equivalent to what you had. Doesnt mean you cant lawyer up though, people engage lawyers for far less. Doubt it would go anywhere but I am not a lawyer, and its not my money.

I have never been able to find such a law. Only that they have to have parts available to repair it during the warranty or they have to give you a new car. In your case the warranty isn't involved.

Yeah, I always thought maintaining support for X years was a law too, but someone was just discussing the topic on one of their videos last week and said it's not true that they have ever been able to find, and they have spent quite a bit of time searching for it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Does nobody bother to read anymore? The warranty is not that long. Here are the relevant bits:

“The decision of whether to repair or replace a part or to use a new, reconditioned, or remanufactured part will be made by Tesla, in its sole discretion.”

And:

“If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty repair, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a new, reconditioned or remanufactured part at the sole discretion of Tesla. The warranty replacement may not restore the vehicle to a "like new" condition, but when replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred ”

I’m not surprised Tesla is not offering a new battery. The reason they have the above warranty policy and that they apparently don’t want to sell you a new battery is likely that they need them all for new cars.