Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving? That's illegal here. And even if I were inclined to browse the web while driving, those cars don't have web browsers built in, much less web browsers with integrated voice control. Furthermore, they don't have autopilot so I can free my hands and a small portion of my brain to look that stuff up. :rolleyes:

Interesting that the car company that does provide all those features also puts their chargers along with their status on the nav screen to save you all that effort. :)

Yes, in getting together to create Ionity the incumbent car makers (the Germans + Ford) has amply demonstrated what an enormous moat Tesla has with its vertically integrated approach including the Supercharger network and its direct integration into the driving and traveling experience.

Stealth said
"But in a car you actually need HOT air, and lots of it, to defrost the windshield. This could be somewhat mitigated by the use of a transparent, thin-film resistive heater built into the windshield"

Ford offered such a system as an extra cost option on some early Tauruses. It required so much electricity that those models came with an physically and electrically oversized two-stage alternator. When the windshield defrost was engaged, the second half of the alternator supplied the extra power.

My wife has a "quick clear" screen on her Ford C-Max (yes, I know, waiting for Model Y). It's not a clear film, but rather very thin wires embedded in the glass. she loves it, it defrosts the screen very quickly (she also has a pre-heater), I can't stand it because it reflects sunlight and I find it quite distracting. Fortunately I don't have to drive the thing very often...

Anyone who's upgraded operating systems on multiple computers knows that there's always "that one" that doesn't go well. It's no big deal in the grand scheme, but it's a royal pain when it happens.
Here is an interesting post. There seems to be more than just a board replacement with some Model 3s.

In my model I've considered about $100M COGS for $400M FSD revenue. Wondering whether this changes that.

How much do you guys think each upgrade costs ?

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Went in for a few minor issues recently and asked about the FSD for my model 3 (low 2k vin). Tech first said no, then, let said let me check and he did and there was an internal bulletin that my VIN was ready for FSD. My appointment was late afternoon so they gave me a loaner and the car was ready by 9 am the following day!

I found out that they are not just replacing one computer, but a few boards and several sensors are included in the upgrade.

It's amazing now to see traffic lights, stop signs, road markings (turning lanes, stop lines, etc), and even trash cans now all being displayed!

Also, in reply to the questions about data, everything was still there except bluetooth pairings. It was interesting to see in repairings the phone that it now has the car name in the bluetooth ID, not just "Tesla Model 3" but "Tesla Model 3 Wattson"​

Great news! Let supercharge.info know!

The Eastern Europe expansion has been going quite apace as Tesla prepares to expand European sales eastward. Hungary is now fully covered, and Poland is mostly covered. I know they really want to get into EV-friendly Ukraine and Romania ;)

Two weeks ago I took the time to create an account on forum.supercharge.info and created a post with new information about a supercharger.

As of this moment my account is "on hold" until a "staff member" deems it trustworthy, meaning that my post & info has gone nowhere.

While I like to take time to contribute to various crowd-sourcing efforts (I have more than 50k contributions on Wikipedia), I can so far not see any point in contributing to supercharge.info.

Anyone can go to payment.ionity.eu and select a charging site. The web-page will then show which stalls are available at that site.
I was just looking at renting a BMW I3 for my next trip in Germany trying to figure out if that would work for my trip but decided it's probably too complicated. Why an I3? Because when I looked at booking a flight with Lufthansa that popped up with the usual suspects for renting a car along with booking the flight. I checked Plugshare for available chargers near where I'm going to be staying and there were a few within several kms (6-10) of one of the hotels, but I don't know enough about the range of the I3 that is rented, how fast these chargers will charge or the requirement of whether it has to be fully charged when returned. The ones I see around Baden-Baden look to mostly be 50kW CCS, CHAdeMO and Type 2. Looking up the I3 I see it has a base range of about 100 miles and even with the Rex, on 180 miles. That is just a city car to me. Who would rent it for any serious driving? Are there other reasonably priced EV rentals in Germany? I'm picking up at Frankfurt airport and driving to Cologne and then Baden-Baden and doing a lot of sightseeing along the way. I looked at Turo for Model 3 and the least expensive I found was 80€ a day with a limit of 1500km total, but that's with a discount for a weekly rental. I just don't see renting a nonTesla EV yet as practical other than for a short stay rental. With a Tesla I'd have the Supercharger network and even better destination chargers which I see a number of hotels have near where I want to travel. And not have to worry about checking several different charging vendor sites to see what they have, and whether they are functional.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago I took the time to create an account on forum.supercharge.info and created a post with new information about a supercharger.

As of this moment my account is "on hold" until a "staff member" deems it trustworthy, meaning that my post & info has gone nowhere.

While I like to take time to contribute to various crowd-sourcing efforts (I have more than 50k contributions on Wikipedia), I can so far not see any point in contributing to supercharge.info.
Just send the information to @BlueShift or @Chuq or - on advice - to @MarcoRP here on TMC.

Last edited:
As much as we don’t want to spread FUD, I found the official news informational.

Just to give you a taste of what kind of FUD Tesla need to fight in China, theses had been circulating in Chinese social media:
View attachment 502515 View attachment 502516
First screen shot claimed to be eye witness of the event, and claimed there was a baby in the car(where there was not), but poster did mention later the car hit curb and pole badly(which were cut out obviously).

Second screenshot ignored the impact and claimed Teslas “self-ignite” and “explode”.
Nah I wouldn't worry about that. It's not like this is the first time the stupid fire circulating there. Especially at the same time there is a high profile trial against a women who rear ended a BMW X5 with a Maserati. The BMW expolded killing most of the passengers.

Annoying; it happened to me to. Took like a month to get approved.

What I don't understand is that the VW advertising material has an image of their ID.3 (IMHO I love the design) as per below.
View attachment 502327

Yet all the photos I've seen (including the article you attached) of the parked ID.3s look like this (IMHO ghastly), with small front grill, gaping bottom lip, and front corner two part window mullions that will be horrible for visibility when turning. Did they really turn a stunning EV beauty of a prototype into a plain jane ICE looking car?
View attachment 502328

VW, What have you done?!
Starting to wonder if M. Citron has been moonlighting as a car designer, beginning before or after switching from famous short to long? I see elements from Picasso right there :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
I doubt this blog post will do anything. People will just treat it as "Tesla trying to excuse away a problem" until the NHTSA closes the petition. Might actually give more fuel to the story, which seems to have been dying down.

The time should have been "immediately or never". At least "immediately" would have gotten denials into the original stories...