Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2012 Tesla came up with the large 17 inch touch screen monitor in the car. At that time that was expensive. Today the cost of automobile grade touch screen at that size is insignificant and of course users love it. Legacy makers, as far as I know, could not replicate it yet. Procuring the monitor and sticking it in is easy. Having an operating system and have all their vendors provide their output data seem to be too difficult mysteriously. It does not seem that difficult. Operating systems can be created by adapting freeware just like Tesla did. Google likely would even pay them to do it in exchange for a small real estate on the screen for ads. The vendors would not need to rewrite their software only modifying the output to go instead to their own separate display. This takes several years. But that is just the software part. Having 50 control systems provided by the separate vendors are more expensive than having one slightly higher performance control system. (Note: This is my impression with 0 expertise. If I am wrong just gently correct it instead of piling up on me.)
I don't think you're wrong, but would add that there's a lot of physical engineering needed to put such a big screen in, you can't just shoehorn it into an existing dashboard. I've recounted before that Ford has the layout of their individual buttons allocated 5 years before production starts. That's why most manufacturers still have screens that are 1/4 the size, they haven't figured out where/how to move the buttons. They can't move them onto the screen, because they're all supplied as units from third parties.

PSA-FCA merger is not expected to close until end of this year - so in 2020 it's mostly FCA that Tesla is going to pool with - in 2021 I suppose the whole PSA-FCA conglomerate will be part of the pool - unless they intentionally leave Tesla with the FCA corporate identity. (Which would be stupid from their perspective.)
They are totally screwed. FCA+PSA is a much larger fleet. My estimates say that FCA+PSA would need more than 700,000 ZEVs in 2021 to eliminate the penalty.

Anyone can go to payment.ionity.eu and select a charging site. The web-page will then show which stalls are available at that site.
While driving? That's illegal here. And even if I were inclined to browse the web while driving, those cars don't have web browsers built in, much less web browsers with integrated voice control. Furthermore, they don't have autopilot so I can free my hands and a small portion of my brain to look that stuff up. :rolleyes:

Interesting that the car company that does provide all those features also puts their chargers along with their status on the nav screen to save you all that effort. :)

They could have retrofitted them with a VW eGolf like setup, leveraging Kreisels battery technology to get them to 150 mile range. Would be easy to sell them for ZEV credits to their customer base that prefers VW cars in chassis and seat configurations that they already love.
Perhaps they could have, but they didn't and after 3 years +/-, I would think any repurposing would be economically futile, if not impossible. Seems like a huge, unavoidable liability.

Not for censorship but also note that most here will complain about focus press puts on all accidents and fires, deaths and injuries in Tesla’s. This despite statistics that they all occur less frequently in Tesla’s. So I question why we highlight on this forum everyone we can find. I would certainly favor posting about one if it would be used to point out ideas about how to make the cars safer or if the rate (not frequency) of these increased

Respectfully disagree. I think there is some value in knowing what the other side is talking about even if it happens to be stupid and wrong. They have a block list, which is undoubtedly a contributing factor to their shock and dismay at the recent stock price increase. I like knowing their talking points without having to search them out.

You can think of it as a probability that the stock price will reach the strike price before the option expires. Once the option is "in the money" (stock price above strike price) you'll find that it will move pretty much dollar-for-dollar with the stock. While it is out of the money you just get some proportion of the stock price movement, while the time value will also decay as the expiry approaches.
Excellent post, but you made one mistake above. The first sentence is correct but the remaining sentences aren’t. Options that expire sooner have great chance of expiring ITM so they hit one dollar of delta at a lower sp than options with a later expiration date. You can easily see this year checking the delta on LEAPS with different expiration dates.
Only if you have enough cash to exercise the option and hold onto the stock. Next best (if close to expiry, so little or no time value) is to exercise and sell just enough to hold onto some of the stock, that is, exercise and sell to cover. You will incur tax on the part that you sell, but not (yet) for the part that you hold.
Holding options until expiration is dangerous because the SP could decline before you sell them. And why wait until the time value is zero?!

The op also asked what would happen at expiration. TD Ameritrade will automatically exercise any options that are ITM unless you instruct them not to do that prior to expiration. I believe it is the standard practice . I asked them if they would change the default on my account not to exercise the options and they refused. So be careful!

Last edited:
Stealth said
"But in a car you actually need HOT air, and lots of it, to defrost the windshield. This could be somewhat mitigated by the use of a transparent, thin-film resistive heater built into the windshield"

Ford offered such a system as an extra cost option on some early Tauruses. It required so much electricity that those models came with an physically and electrically oversized two-stage alternator. When the windshield defrost was engaged, the second half of the alternator supplied the extra power.
No problem in an EV though.
This morning on the way in to work, I was waiting at a red light next to a BMW 5 series. When the light turned green I heard his engine restart as I moved effortlessly away. I laughed and realized that ICE is truly at the end of it's time. The only way they can get those motors to meet emission and fuel economy goals is to shut them off at every red light. There is nothing more that tech can do. EVs on the other hand are just at the beginning of their life cycle. Batteries, motors, and power electronics will just get better and better every year. I would not want to run those legacy companies knowing that the end of ICE is upon me, but that I depend on that revenue and profit to convert to EVs.

Tesla is journeying out into the Balkans with a new country, Serbia! (Bosphorus Hotel - Aleksinac)
4DEF46A4-D8DE-4B0A-ABC3-7A8171E78CB9.jpeg

Not for censorship but also note that most here will complain about focus press puts on all accidents and fires, deaths and injuries in Tesla’s. This despite statistics that they all occur less frequently in Tesla’s. So I question why we highlight on this forum everyone we can find. I would certainly favor posting about one if it would be used to point out ideas about how to make the cars safer or if the rate (not frequency) of these increased
it's information to highlight this Model S didn't just randomly being engulfed by fire

Tesla is journeying out into the Balkans with a new country, Serbia! (Bosphorus Hotel - Aleksinac)
View attachment 502508

I have a feeling this will subject Tesla's Supercharger network to new and unexpected tests, given that everything just works differently (and worse) in the Balkans.

For example, in the spring of 2018 someone in the Balkans apparently managed to siphon off 113 GWh of electricity from the power grid, causing a persistent frequency drop in the interconnected European power grid, which in turns caused problems for a bunch of appliances incl. various low-precision clocks across most of the EU:

[Press Release] Continuing frequency deviation in the Continental European Power System originating in Serbia/Kosovo: Political solution urgently needed in addition to technical.

MOD EDIT:
COMPLETELY OT and likely counter-factual. Can be posted elsewhere on TMC but strong suggestion to author to provide evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UncaNed and GOVA
Why would an earlier Model 3 take significantly longer than a later Model 3? They should all take about 1-2 hours, no? When you say "speculation is that older 3's are taking more time." do you mean "speculation from a Tesla short-seller"? Who exactly is this speculation from? Because it matters if you're going to propagate it here.
You have to read the thread I posted.

We'll do ourselves great harm if we start saying every owner who posts something negative on TMC about their experience is a short seller.

View attachment 502508

Great news! Let supercharge.info know!

The Eastern Europe expansion has been going quite apace as Tesla prepares to expand European sales eastward. Hungary is now fully covered, and Poland is mostly covered. I know they really want to get into EV-friendly Ukraine and Romania ;)