Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt this blog post will do anything. People will just treat it as "Tesla trying to excuse away a problem" until the NHTSA closes the petition. Might actually give more fuel to the story, which seems to have been dying down.

The time should have been "immediately or never". At least "immediately" would have gotten denials into the original stories...

While I'm blown away that they didn't respond immediately, not responding was not an option. It makes you look guilty, and a safety issue that the public is so emotional about is WAY too big a threat to the brand to just leave hanging while NHTSA takes months to evaluate. NHTSA is fine with a company commenting unless you reveal unreleased findings or details of a formal investigation. They chose to make the petition public so obviously Tesla can respond to it publicly.

Last edited:
Anyone can go to payment.ionity.eu and select a charging site. The web-page will then show which stalls are available at that site.
In that case, I find it curious that Bjørn did not have that info readily available in the car! I think he used to be into programming before he went all out roadie :) and it certainly seems all e-trons should have this pre-programmed in the car (updated OTA, of course ;) )

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
While I'm blown that they didn't respond immediately, not responding was not an option. It makes you look guilty, and a safety issue that the public is so emotional about is WAY too big a threat to the brand to just leave hanging while NHTSA takes months to evaluate. NHTSA is fine with a company commenting unless you reveal unreleased findings or details of a formal investigation. They chose to make the petition public so obviously Tesla can respond to it publicly.

Also this blog post has information in it I or others didn't know. It said that all the incidents were already looked at and were all nothingburgers. So essentially saying all the incidents in the petition are old news and it's just some short to who submitted incidents that were already looked at with NHTSA.

PS: VW was sneaky. They made a huge media blitz around the launch of production with Merkel and all in November and said cars will be delivered "in the Summer". (Somehow no auto journalist asked a follow-up on the fact they cars will pile up in a warehouse for over half a year). Second, they never committed to production/deliveries of non-1st Edition a.k.a. regular cars, everyone just assumed these will follow the special launch edition right away. So *technically* there is no delay.
What!? VW sneaky? Never !!1 :cool:

Short term calls look pretty pricy. I might take my first long shot in a while but only a day or two before ER once the premium has come down. But only if there is consensus here that there is a 20%+ chance on immediate S&P inclusion. The sheer number of potential short squeeze catalysts is off the charts - surely one of them is gonna spark into life.
images

Musk has talked about this quite a bit. Overwhelmingly, he wants factories in each location that take raw materials from near that location, and - using locally generated solar energy - concentrates them down into value-added product streams rolling out the door to local customers. Lowest environmental footprint, best economics.

And with low-cobalt cathodes and synthetic graphite / amorphous carbon anodes, he can do it, too, with respect to cell manufacture. Every wet tropical part of the world (and some non-tropical areas) are rich in the nickel laterites needed for HPAL (and exploration has been limited thusfar, as supply is far greater than demand, as HPAL looks likely to render previously uneconomical laterites economical for production).

Global-distribution-of-Ni-laterite-Interactive-distribution-maps-showing-deposit-names.png

As for lithium, each orange circle is a current or future producer:

View attachment 502480

Historically, salar sources (predominantly South America) used to dominate, but today the supply is more diversified, and spodumene (primarily from Australia) has surpassed it. The new upcoming source receiving a lot of interest is lithium clays, including in the US.

Electrolytes are basic petrochemical products, generally various carbonates. Additives generally consist of various lithium fluoride or perchlorate salts, sometimes containing phosphorus or boron. Binders are generally fluorocarbons. The fluorine comes from HF which comes from acid fluorspar, which is mined the whole world over. China currently dominates, at about half the world's supply, but its share is dropping as it cracks down on pollution violations and new mines go online elsewhere. Phosphorus and boron will always be used at insignificant levels compared to agriculture.

MOD In-Post Edit:
This discussion obviously belongs in the "Resource Sector" thread; it is not ported over solely because of its first paragraph. Any response or further discussion is to be conducted only there.
MOD, if I may suggest: Perhaps copy it to that thread as well? Might be helpful IMHO.

Reactions: UncaNed
Short term calls look pretty pricy. I might take my first long shot in a while but only a day or two before ER once the premium has come down. But only if there is consensus here that there is a 20%+ chance on immediate S&P inclusion. The sheer number of potential short squeeze catalysts is off the charts - surely one of them is gonna spark into life.
images

Premiums don't normally go down a day or two before ER. They go way down after, both puts and calls.

So the EU trading has finished for today. For what it's worth, TSLA went up 4.75 €, about 1%.

Looking forward to tomorrow...

Sorry, that's wrong, in today's Frankfurt trading TSLA actually went up +2.3%, from $504.10 (the Nasdaq after market closing price on Friday, which Frankfurt followed almost immediately after open) to $515.50.

The +1% you saw was relative to the 4pm ET Nasdaq closing price of $510.32 - not against the final after hours price of $504.10 at 8pm ET. It's a multi-market charting artifact.

So this was a pretty good day for TSLA. :D