Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The option activity has been interesting today, especially in near-the-money weekly calls. The $450 level is going to provide some resistance. On the other hand, look at the OI on way OTM puts, from 250-350. Much premium collected on those during the doom and gloom of, oh, 5 days ago. The MMs aren’t going to suffer much.

If the macros can maintain a floor for a bit, this will be at $450 right quick.

I can't imagine Max pain is anywhere near $500. I was thinking the range for pre battery day was something like $380 to $440, guess that's out the window.

IMO this just increases the likelihood of a sell-the-news response to battery day. Of course looming inclusion is the big pop to ATH plus 15%.......for a start.

It's a quarterly expiration this week, so lots of detritus bought over the last couple of years, including a massive amount of shitputs (are they hedges, margin-boosters, or Speigel's? Who knows!)

Anyway, all that garbage is making for a non-sensical MP at $326, reality is that the real resistance-points are $420 (maybe being hedged today), $450 (likely target for the MM's), $480 (a bump on the road) and $500 (you can not pass!).

So that's the battle today, cover $420, but keep it away from $450 - if they lose that and a lot of puts get bought below, then they'll hedge it and we'll move close to $500.

Not an advice.

upload_2020-9-15_16-41-56.png

So they can but more shares to prop-up their calls :D

Exactly. It’s nice to know Sugar Daddy is there to back you up.

Do we know exactly what they’re holding, apart from “calls in the tech sector”?

Edit: from what I’ve found, the usual suspects are there (FAANG), but not TSLA.

Last edited:
I disagree. We need people to go to prison. The public suffered because of the emission cheating and executives should do time for that.
yep I already stated the same... people should pay for their decisions. Companies should be damaged financially to the point where they do not make a profit from the WHOLE venture. How that should be done should be investigated before assigning a financial punuishment.

Reactions: bpjod and saniflash
Exactly. It’s nice to know Sugar Daddy is there to back you up.

Do we know exactly what they’re holding, apart from “calls in the tech sector”?
It was mentioned in articles a few days back. Most large tech companies but no Tesla apparently.

Also, while apparently billions, huge for one actor, and not insignificant for the market, it wasn't that huge compared to the total options market.

It's a quarterly expiration this week, so lots of detritus bought over the last couple of years, including a massive amount of shitputs (are they hedges, margin-boosters, or Speigel's? Who knows!)

Anyway, all that garbage is making for a non-sensical MP at $326, reality is that the real resistance-points are $420 (maybe being hedged today), $450 (likely target for the MM's), $480 (a bump on the road) and $500 (you can not pass!).

So that's the battle today, cover $420, but keep it away from $450 - if they lose that and a lot of puts get bought below, then they'll hedge it and we'll move close to $500.

Not an advice.

View attachment 588448

Yes it looks like some aggressive call buying going on today, as was the case yesterday.

upload_2020-9-15_10-1-21.png

Not much of an options trader, how would someone know who placed this trade?
View attachment 588455

I assume that guy is just trying to pump the stock. I doubt Ron trades options :)

Edit: Next target 455!

So if the drop was due to traders bailing because of the SP snub, who is buying now? The market is so rational! Of course that's true because it's made up of people and people are never irrational.

So my theory since midday yesterday has been perhaps the S&P has begun the pre announcement covert buying alluded to in Rob Maurer's excellent Tesla Daily video on the subject? Again just a theory.

So my theory since midday yesterday has been perhaps the S&P has begun the pre announcement covert buying alluded to in Rob Maurer's excellent Tesla Daily video on the subject? Again just a theory.

BigFoot, Yeti, *sugar*&Pee ...will believe it only after announcement

(Personally, hope this is just due to Battery Day Catalyst. Someone on this thread a while back did mention that SP tends to dip after each Cap raise and then comes back hard)

If their goal really is to avoid front-running and an artificial inflation of the SP, that would be the way to do it. Would it really be possible without any leaks?

If their goal really is to avoid front-running and an artificial inflation of the SP, that would be the way to do it. Would it really be possible without any leaks?

I think a "leak" in this respect would be considered insider trading. Generally it's hard to keep secrets when more than 1 person is involved. But I feel like anyone involved in handling S and P stuff for Tesla right now knows that there are probably people doing everything they can to overhear their discussion and they are on high alert to keep things under wraps.