Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's funny! But it would be disrespectful to the name of one of the most amazing innovators to ever live.

I always thought that "Chill Mode" was probably initially referred to as "ICE Mode" by the Tesla engineers (as it really does replicate the time delay and lack of power typical of ICE cars) but Elon saw that as escalating the anti-EV sentiment and suggested "Chill Mode" as a more hip, less antagonistic alternative.
A minor disagree on that point: I drive my M3 most often in Chill mode, and it doesn't lag or lack power at all; indeed, compared to most ICE cars, it's instant and powerful acceleration. Yes, not having it in Chill Mode is faster, but the difference is not huge, I don't think.

Reactions: wipster and db93
View attachment 588477

Skechers. Like?
(I didn't get this rich by not being practical ;) )

Very excellent. A single share may net you an extra pair by the end of the week. But maybe you should go for something that will impress the empress sitting in front of you, like these:

upload_2020-9-15_12-1-49.jpeg

If the fund knew about inclusion before the announcement, that would be insider trading, yes. And if it was a fund that tracks the index, even after the announcement there is a specific window of time when they can buy, which might not start immediately.

Got it, thanks. I knew these rules existed (that index-tracking funds need to wait for public announcement) but didn’t make the connection to insider trading. I figured they could just change the rules to suit the situation.

Essentially, he advocates discipline. And note this:
5. I don’t play with derivatives.

Options seem fun but they are like allowing a toddler to play with a loaded gun. You can have a few close calls but it eventually catches up with you.

Options can be quite useful.

Use them conservatively the same as stocks.

Stocks on margin can be just as risky as too many options.

When Tesla was rangebound, I sold out of the money LEAP puts to pay for out of the money LEAP calls. It was basically a wash with potential for huge upside.

I wish OTM LEAP calls were around $20 like they were then.

Reactions: Nocturnal
That all being said I don’t believe S&P is happening anytime soon. For me price action is explained by Battery Day and the usual call-buying/delta-hedging loop. Now if we were to keep rising 10%/day for ten straight trading days I might have to reconsider some more far-fetched theories.

There is nothing far-fetched about possible S&P inclusion adding upward pressure to the share price. Whether you personally believe it's not happening anytime soon is not very relevant. While I don't care much when it gets added, my personal thinking is that there is about a 75% chance of it being announced within a month. The very fact that it could happen at any time will most definitely affect investor behavior.

What pisses me off is that the EPA lets Daimler deny that they did anything wrong, even though the article points out that its engineers actually found the bypass code in 250K Daimler vehicles.

The $875 Million in fines is OK, but they can't let Daimler not admit guilt. That's an insult to us Americans seeing these vehicles on our roads and polluting the air our children breathe.
Agreed. I read the article and that is what was glaring to me... That Daimler smugly says "Daimler has not received a Notice of Violation (NOV) from the EPA or the CARB during this process," AND "As stated in the consent decrees and the class action settlement, the company denies the authorities' allegations as well as the class action plaintiffs' claims and does not admit any liability to the United States, California, plaintiffs, or otherwise,"

I'm glad they were caught and fined, but why in the world would they agree to letting them completely LIE about their unethical choices? Seems like consumers ought to better understand the type of companies they are giving their money to if you really want to change the behavior.