Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually the info that is actually announced on these Tesla reveal days ends up underwhelming causing the stock price to drop. Even last November’s cyber truck reveal had a big price drop following (cause it was so weird initially).

However battery day feels like it’ll be different. Flying under the radar is Elon’s comment in Berlin that they’ll be announcing a new Model Y architecture. Add in new cells, new battery architecture, manufacturing, raw material lockups. It is going to be quite the day.

Stock could still drop Wednesday but I expect it’ll be up from here in a month.

With $200k capital you can generate $10k a week selling weeklies when the stock is going nowhere.

I love selling options for some extra money but 10k a week on 200k (or 5% ROC) tells me you are much more comfortable w/ lower strikes on CCs than I am. For example, let's say you own 500 shares and sold calls for next week, then you'd need to sell 5x 9/25 $505 calls (which closed at $19.70 today). Giving up the gains over ~525/share next Friday seems like a risky bet to me, but to each their own. When I do CCs I tend to go way out of the money and up to two weeks out.

Last edited:
Usually the info that is actually announced on these Tesla reveal days ends up underwhelming causing the stock price to drop. Even last November’s cyber truck reveal had a big price drop following (cause it was so weird initially).

However battery day feels like it’ll be different. Flying under the radar is Elon’s comment in Berlin that they’ll be announcing a new Model Y architecture. Add in new cells, new battery architecture, manufacturing, raw material lockups. It is going to be quite the day.

Stock could still drop Wednesday but I expect it’ll be up from here in a month.

Coincidentally, the stock dropped for a couple of days after Cybertruck reveal and then exploded higher the next week. I'm totally fine with that outcome as well :cool:

Just noticing on twitter that this has happened as well...not for political discussion, only that it could mean extra business for Tesla Energy

Trump administration to announce $13 billion in additional aid to Puerto Rico - CNNPolitics

The short summary is seems that this will mostly go to funding Tesla Energy....I mean rebuilding the electrical grid. :)

Trump administration announces $13 billion in additional aid to Puerto Rico

"Federal funding of $9.6 billion will allow the Puerto Rico Electrical Power Authority to repair and replace thousands of miles of transmission and distribution lines, electrical substations, power generation systems, office buildings and make other grid improvements. The $2 billion grant for the Puerto Rico Department of Education will focus on restoring school buildings and educational facilities across the island," McEnany said.

Edit reason: Fixed link

Super helpful thank you! So just literally sell a call for a strike price I’d be happy to sell 100 stocks at anyways? And if it doesn’t hit by next Friday normal market hours, contract is gone and I keep the premium? That is a good insurance either way I think!

Wasn’t there someone in this very thread lamenting recently that they had been doing this strategy during the recent TSLA run up and ended up effectively losing a lot of money relative to buy and hold?

Make sure you really do want to sell that stock cause if it goes up a lot you’ll be selling the stock (and at a discount to current market price).

Wasn’t there someone in this very thread lamenting recently that they had been doing this strategy during the recent TSLA run up and ended up effectively losing a lot of money relative to buy and hold?

Make sure you really do want to sell that stock cause if it goes up a lot you’ll be selling the stock (and at a discount to current market price).

Thank you, will tweak my strategy based on upcoming events of course!!

Agreed. Of course that is the risk (no such thing as high return with no risk). Using this strategy, one might lose out if, for example, battery day blows investors' minds and the stock spikes to $550. But quite frankly, if that were to happen, I would be thrilled as that means my Tesla stock has appreciated a lot in a short time.

I love selling options for some extra money but 10k a week on 200k (or 5% ROC) tells me you are much more comfortable lower strikes on CCs than I am. For example, let's say you own 500 shares and sold calls for next week, then you'd need to sell 5x 9/25 $505 calls (which closed at $19.70 today). Giving up the gains over ~525/share next Friday seems like a risky bet to me, but to each their own. When I do CCs I tend to go way out of the money and up to two weeks out.

Also agree. I do the same as you which is why I don't generate nearly as much income as the OP indicated. I also only write covered calls on a portion of my shares. So if 100 shares get called away, I am a very happy camper, as that means my Tesla portfolio has increased substantially in that short period of time.

• Love
Reactions: bubb and gabeincal
Looks like ARKK sold some $TSLA today:

upload_2020-9-18_15-25-55.png

I mean 35% is still not a lot, i.e. much more likely to not happen than to happen. I'm curious what made you pick 17 weeks? I'd be more interested in 52 weeks or so (but not asking you to look it up for me)

** edit ** I looked it up myself, and it happened 15 out of the last 53 weeks, so about 28% of the time
I totally agree the frequency is not a super strong point. Thpugh it beats the *sugar* out of "random." what would prove the manipulation point is the activity the day of the manipulation. Too often there is NO reason for the stock to move towards the Maxpain, and it irrationally does...unless the rational point is Manipulation.

I said months ago that manipulation goes both ways, and I'm fine with the manipulation that makes me money...

Ultimately we are all tiny minnows swimming with sharks and whales. The first priority is, and has always been, don't get eaten. The second priority is helping yourself to the morsels they leave behind after gorging themselves. Never get your priorities in the wrong order.
correction: You are just a worker ant in the ant farm (see avatar pic).

Regarding selling weekly covered calls in a taxable account in the US, my understanding is that selling weeklies against shares held short-term may reset the holding period of the underlying shares (so they won't become long-term assets). For this reason, I'm looking at doing that only in an IRA for now. I'm not an expert, this is not tax or financial advice.

Just noticing on twitter that this has happened as well...not for political discussion, only that it could mean extra business for Tesla Energy

Trump administration to announce $13 billion in additional aid to Puerto Rico - CNNPolitics

The short summary is seems that this will mostly go to funding Tesla Energy....I mean rebuilding the electrical grid. :)

Trump administration announces $13 billion in additional aid to Puerto Rico

"Federal funding of $9.6 billion will allow the Puerto Rico Electrical Power Authority to repair and replace thousands of miles of transmission and distribution lines, electrical substations, power generation systems, office buildings and make other grid improvements. The $2 billion grant for the Puerto Rico Department of Education will focus on restoring school buildings and educational facilities across the island," McEnany said.

Edit reason: Fixed link
LoL Trump should just give money to Puerto Ricans in FL instead. Don't need to beat around the bush right before an election.

semi-mod: no (more) political discussion will be tolerated in this thread. But I like this observation :) --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator: