Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you wait for Tesla's next tech, you will always be waiting. Also, while it has been better lately, Musk has a history of being overly optimistic with timelines.

I bought a June 2013 p85+ used in January 2016. No autopilot, no cameras, no parking sensors. And it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I originally planned to get a new model s at some point and hoped to add a roadster 2 to thr garage. Then I saw the cybertruck and decided to change the future model s for a cybertruck instead.

Recently I decided to order a base model y to replace my 2013 model s and use the Y until my truck is ready. That's an extra vehicle purchase added just because I'd like a newer tesla and the stock has done well enough I am fine if I need more funds, though I intend to keep all my shares and have a car payment again.

As my portfolio has grown, but I'm reluctant to take money out due to expected future growth, the question I am trying to sort: how to balance enjoying life as I go while also being prudent with my investments for the future.

Depending on your situation, would replacing the murano now with a model y add enough quality to your life to justify the expense? Obviously only you can answer that. I think it's a question worth asking.

Wow, exactly the move I've been debating. And not like a used Y would be hard to sell when CyberTruck arrives on its own (but still well before all the other vehicles get the big batteries). My poor Murano, we bought it new in 2005. It's like putting a puppy down - sad. Then there's maintenance cost on an older vehicle which makes it a liability and risk should the Engine go.

SP matters too. See, I hit a magic number at least 3 or 4 times in a month, it's a joke around our house now. Today I'm in "the club", this morning I was not, but yesterday I was, lol. Maybe $500 and I'll get the Y to cleanse my soul, (like next week). It's a big part of it too, like having 1 foot in BEV with the other still in ICE.

Reactions: Drumheller
The $5 billion raised earlier this month should be good for more than a few months, I would hope. It's not that they are going to build a capacity of 3 TWh in the blink of an eye. For 2022 they are predicting 100 GWh output. Considering that a facility as small as the Kato Road pilot plant will be able to produce 10 GWh per year, the capex required for the first few years should not be in the tens of billions.
We already have enough crumbs to make a WAG at Tesla CapEx for Bty Plants through 2022:
  • Panasonic currently has 13 bty lines in Sparks producing 35GWh/yr
  • in Sept they announced a $100M CapEx to add another line adding 10% more capacity
  • that's $100M for 3.5GWh/yr or approx $28.5M/GWh/yr capacity
  • Tesla stated on their Bty Day their Capex will be reduced ~75%
  • that's approx. $7.15M/GWh/yr per unit of bty production capacity
  • scaled up to 100 GWh/yr by 2022 that's about $715M total CapEx
  • spread over 3 years that's roughty $240M/yr CapEx
Paging @The Accountant Check my assumptions.

Overall though, $240M per year in CapEx to double Tesla's Bty supply enables them to continue their exponential growth through 2022, and paves the way to 2030. I'm liking this.

Cheers!

We already have enough crumbs to make a WAG at Tesla CapEx for Bty Plants through 2022:
  • in Sept they announced a $100M CapEx to add another line adding 10% more capacity

Overall though, $240M per year in CapEx to double Tesla's Bty supply enables them to continue their exponential growth through 2022, and paves the way to 2030. I'm liking this.

Cheers!
Here's how I'm thinking about it.

Tesla claims world needs 20 TWh annual capacity, 135 Reno GFs.

Under current tech, this would cost $2T. Thus, $100M per GWh annual capacity.

At 69% reduction from Tesla's announced improvements, this becomes $31M/GWh/yr.

So Tesla wants to build out 100GWh gmfor 2022. This could be just a $3.1B investment.

Terafactory Texas should be around $31B, so the first 100GWh is just 10% of nameplate. $5B cash should get this started.

5113F77F-0E2D-4752-B31F-EAC9EBFAF6C5.jpeg

interestingo_O

Interesting.

NEWS: Amazon (AMZN) announced car security products at its product launch event today and said its Ring Car Connect system will work with vehicles made by Tesla (TSLA), according to Bloomberg's account of the launch event.

Apparently this would allow you to view the camera footage from your phone or something like that. Makes little sense to me when your car already has the best camera security system but market likes it so whatever lol.

...I've made enough on TSLA to buy what, at today's price 60 Cybertrucks for free.

It still amazes me that people feel the urge to boast about their $$$ in a public internet forum.

Can somebody explain why a public forum needs to be exposed to this? I, for one, don't really care how much dough people have.

Good 4 you, I guess.

Curious... What's with that large number of puts at $40. And it sure seems like a lot more green than red off the the right. All those trades lose if it closes below say $400? That was a lot of ppl banking on Battery Day. Good luck.

View attachment 591744

Meanwhile, next week looks to be developing some focus at $350. Am I reading this right (or is next week too distant, lol)?

View attachment 591745

Next week is meaningless at this moment.

Looks like they've been capping it below $400 that last few hours, this stock wants to rise right now. If it can pop above $400 then it might run a bit.

I still don't see how you can drive from $368 to $392 in a blink, but on fairly low volume. Certainly that's TSLA's signature move, having zero sellers when anyone show up to buy, but it's confusing to me.

Does this mean essentially TSLA had been pushed down artificially on heavier volume while no "real" transactions were taking place?

It might mean that TSLA random noise and share price movements have occurred. I personally consider everything under 5% to be random noise. Today's positive move (at this moment) is about 4% which, for me, still has it in the random noise / gyrations category.

By random, I mean that we can look for a reason for it happening, but this is as much an effort to make meaning out of patterns in random data as it is something actually meaningful. The human brain is a marvelous thing in general. One of it's limitations to be aware of though, is that it can ALWAYS find patterns in data. Whether there is a real pattern there to find or not :)

Which, by the way, doesn't mean that there isn't a tangible explanation for the behavior today. Only that I personally don't really notice it until its bigger (in %).

OT,
Have you checked out Kelowna BC areas? That's where I'm headed eventually. Lakefront property is $2-5M (CND). Not an island, not even large. Just a place for a small sailboat or BEB is all. But that's just the home cost, so point well taken on $2M being overrated.

Elon did actually live on $1 per day and so figured $30/month shouldn't be too hard to make no matter what. It's the moment I think he realized how money wasn't the issue. I had my share of tent and car living, but somehow I didn't draw the same conclusion about money yet it seems. o_O

OT

I'm buying a house on Bonaire and diving as much as possible while I'm young and the reefs still exist.

One car family (Cybertruck) charged from solar.

Something like:
El Pueblo villa for sale on Bonaire with ocean view | Sunbelt Realty

Probably do a fair bit of traveling. Around 3-4 trips a year.

Maybe I'll get my divemaster's certification. Otherwise I'll volunteer with the local sea turtle conservation group or coral restoration project.

It still amazes me that people feel the urge to boast about their $$$ in a public internet forum.

Can somebody explain why a public forum needs to be exposed to this? I, for one, don't really care how much dough people have.

Good 4 you, I guess.

Well there are a lot of knowledgeable members who can help with financial literacy and how to become financially independent. I have learned a lot of things online and some people suggested me a lot of good reads about finance online.

I do not mind someone saying online he has 10M or more as long as he shares the roadmap to reach that figure so I can integrate some of their wisdom in my planning!

Last edited:
This chart is interesting (from Lithium price spotlight - Weekly price updates | Fastmarkets). If battery demand keeps rising, why is lithium price dropping? Are lithium miners doing that good a job at increasing capacity?

View attachment 591777

Yes.

The mining industry goes through boom and bust cycles, when supply and demand are out of balance. If you’re lucky great gains are possible, but as you point out rising demand doesn’t always result in rising commodity price.

What can happen is too much production capacity is brought on line, as many companies try to ride the wave of rising demand. Then a surplus collapses prices, weak producers go bankrupt, supply falls and prices rise etc. The oil industry is going through this as the COVID recession reduced demand, oil prices collapsed and some producers are folding (boo hoo).

I’m invested in a company called Lynas that is the only major REE Producer outside of China. It could fly if the coming EV boom raises REE demand faster than supply can grow. This investment has been a tale of woe but I haven’t lost too much.

TLDR: be very careful about commodity investments. Tesla is a much safer bet

I think the CapEx needs to be higher than that because Tesla is vertically integrating much more of the process than Panasonic. Think mining and cathode/anode creation for starters. I'm pretty sure that Panasonic just buys the cathode/anode material already prepared.

Just moved my SIMPLE IRA (limited investment options) into my Trad IRA.

Now I have to wait a day for the funds to clear, then another day for the sale of the mutual funds.

Knowing my luck, by the time I get the dry powder ready, this great buying opportunities will be past.:(
Perhaps if you miss the opportunities you could best use that dry powder to convert it to a Roth instead. Not an advice.