Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will you trade the Y in for the truck ? Or keep both?

Probably trade, we are not so keen on spending a lot on vehicles. Woman loves the truck design, not so keen on model y. But that's what I'm saying now, I think once you get used to such a car it'll be hard to go back to anything else. Investment content here is, bring your typical early adopter software guy, I'm watching how people of various backgrounds in my circle perceive tesla as buyers. I think even here in Seattle, people outside of software industry are still largely not there, the shift has not yet happened in mainstream. We are obviously over the hump in the investor land, but that is not three same as shifting perception in buying preferences.

Perhaps if you miss the opportunities you could best use that dry powder to convert it to a Roth instead. Not an advice.

Perhaps, but business has been very good this year, and I live in a very high tax state. It would be a very expensive proposition to do that conversion. I'm not inclined to give this state any more money than absolutely necessary.

Lol. Maybe thing are different in Canada, but I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Aerospace Engineering hanging on my wall that disagrees with you.
So does my Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering! While I do Finance for a living, I scratch my engineering itch vicariously by being all in on Tesla and following SpaceX as closely as I can.

It still amazes me that people feel the urge to boast about their $$$ in a public internet forum.

Can somebody explain why a public forum needs to be exposed to this? I, for one, don't really care how much dough people have.

Good 4 you, I guess.
Fair point, and I chewed on this for some time in recent past. So I really don't try to boast and, in fact, worked to take down 2 of my posts here that you can no longer find - even though it scored about 75 funnies bc of how that day played with my head. However, on flip side, this is energy building talk that amplifies my dreams and causes me to lean in harder, read more, and hold longer - as it might also with others reading it.
It's not like I inherited money or played the lottery here. This was calculated risk, that could have gone really wrong (did at one point a few years back), but paid off finally. And I believe when the stories here sound legit, other's are encouraged to take notice of TSLA. Not of "me" but of the number of people here getting wealthy because they stuck to their guns and pushed back on everyone who called them the fool in the neighborhood, and now somehow congratulating us. And the crazy thing is that it's all about to happen again IMO. You do not want to here what me ego really wants to say; the feeling is of multiple battles won, the war looking over soon, high freakin 5 TMC friends and Tesla!

So does my Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering! While I do Finance for a living, I scratch my engineering itch vicariously by being all in on Tesla and following SpaceX as closely as I can.

It is definitely different in Canada than in the US. In Canada you need to be a member of a professional order to be allowed to use the title “Engineer”. This is clearly not the case in the US as the term is used rather loosely. I’ve dealt with “Sales Engineers” :rolleyes:. That being said, it doesn’t mean that someone without the formal education/title cannot be a good engineer. I have my degree and am part of the order of engineers, but Elon is a better engineer than I am by a few orders of magnitude :oops:

It is definitely different in Canada than in the US. In Canada you need to be a member of a professional order to be allowed to use the title “Engineer”. This is clearly not the case in the US as the term is used rather loosely. I’ve dealt with “Sales Engineers” :rolleyes:. That being said, it doesn’t mean that someone without the formal education/title cannot be a good engineer. I have my degree and am part of the order of engineers, but Elon is a better engineer than I am by a few orders of magnitude :oops:

Elon has an honorary PhD in Engineering and Technology from Yale.

For those not in academic circles, those are not given out on a whim, but to people who have brought forth extraordinary progress to a field. Arguably, his engineering prowess is superior to anyone that has graduated with bachelors or masters degrees in engineering.

It still amazes me that people feel the urge to boast about their $$$ in a public internet forum.

Can somebody explain why a public forum needs to be exposed to this? I, for one, don't really care how much dough people have.

Good 4 you, I guess.

Meh. I have no idea how much he made today unless I do math. In this case multiplication is required and I’m too tired just thinking about it.

I would pose this question to you, though: Why does it upset you? And don’t give some canned answer like it’s cluttering up the board - unless you’ve just had thumb surgery it’s super quick and easy to scroll. There’s a deeper reason why people talking about personal wealth tweaks you. That’s what you might want to discover about yourself and change accordingly - or not if you don’t mind being irritated.

As a follow-up to that Max Pain explanation earlier (that I could not find again)...

What is the force that causes the stock to gravitate to this Max Pain focal point? Is this a chicken-egg thing? Who's buying or selling to try to get it to max pain? Or are people trading bc they know where max pain is going to be every Friday? Please help me connect these 2 things.

Elon has an honorary PhD in Engineering and Technology from Yale.

For those not in academic circles, those are not given out on a whim, but to people who have brought forth extraordinary progress to a field. Arguably, his engineering prowess is superior to anyone that has graduated with bachelors or masters degrees in engineering.

You completely missed the part where someone else commented that Elon can’t use the term “Engineer”. I was pointing out that you don’t need to be in a professional order in the US. Never said Elon didn’t have an education. It was a general statement....

Reactions: bkp_duke
Though, to what extent is that really true? When VW had unwanted ICE vehicle factories, they didn't "strand" them or write them off, but instead converted them to EV factories. I assume even ICE engine factories could be converted to manufacture something EV-related. It's not clear to me that the investment in converting an old ICE factory is any greater than creating a new factory from scratch like Tesla does, so I'm not sure how much credit to give this "locked-up capital/stranded assets" argument. (Outside of oil, where you really can't convert underground reserves to solar panels no matter what you invest.)
Yes, legacy auto has the land and buildings. But that being said, whether the company designs/tests/manufactures the various parts that make up the engine and transmission or they outsource it, the fact is that the parts (and supporting supply chains) that go into making an ICE vehicle don't overlap much with EVs. Air intake/exhaust, ignition, fuel system management, cooling, emission control take a totally different kind of design/engineering/testing/manufacturing than creating an EV. Sure, legacy auto has the shell of the factory and the land (or they outsource it), and that can be used for EV plants, but the internals of those buildings will need to be gutted and retrofitted to make EV specific components. Converting factories and investing in EVs is very expensive, that's why Elon joked that when VW or Mercedes (or someone, can't remember, it was few years back) announced they were investing $2 billion (1 or 2 billion) to make EVs, he said they forgot to add a zero (implying that a 10 or 20 billion investment would be needed if they were serious).

And then, after the factory conversions from ICE to EV, is there much of a market anymore for ICE vehicle manufacturing equipment? Maybe at a small scale, but at a large? That's why I think legacy auto is in a real pickle. Tesla has none of that dead weight to drag around.

As a follow-up to that Max Pain explanation earlier (that I could not find again)...

What is the force that causes the stock to gravitate to this Max Pain focal point? Is this a chicken-egg thing? Who's buying or selling to try to get it to max pain? Or are people trading bc they know where max pain is going to be every Friday? Please help me connect these 2 things.

Market-makers. They actually have the ability to move the stock price (especially when volume is low) by buying and selling. They have enough stock to sell (and legal exemption to naked-short) and enough money to buy.

Look at it from the perspective of an average-Joe retail who sells some calls against his stock (like many on this forum do). When those calls look like they will lose money (stock will be called away for less than it's worth), what can the investor do? Nothing except for hope and pray and try to move the stock price with his mind. But now pretend that you actually had the means (and no fear of legal ramifications) to move the stock price. Why wouldn't you?

Market-makers. They actually have the ability to move the stock price (especially when volume is low) by buying and selling. They have enough stock to sell (and legal exemption to naked-short) and enough money to buy.

Look at it from the perspective of an average-Joe retail who sells some calls against his stock (like many on this forum do). When those calls look like they will lose money (stock will be called away for less than it's worth), what can the investor do? Nothing except for hope and pray and try to move the stock price with his mind. But now pretend that you actually had the means (and no fear of legal ramifications) to move the stock price. Why wouldn't you?
And to continue, this is considered legal and ethical because investors still have the right to purchase anywhere along the way. Hence, these clowns can make a case that it's simply an extended function of "market making". Which I guess it kind of is.