Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday manipulation on a Monday... pfff!

Volume seems low for a Monday so easier to keep it down. However I'm seeing call buying pick up so we might see the positive effects of delta hedging right now. For the rest of the day I would like to see better volume.

upload_2020-9-28_9-47-28.png

Yeah very odd today. My first Red short term trading day in a while. Let's see what this mid BB does. I loaded up again for what's looking to be more losses! lol

Normally we get this kind of capping, the stock breaks out at a certain point and runs-up several percent. Have faith, I'm sure people are wanting to load up for P&D, plus a few will have digested, over the weekend, the enormity of what was revealed at Battery Day.

Do we know what percentage of phones and tablets are Apple? I expect Tesla to achieve similar for cars. 60% seems a very high figure to me. Now, with the exception of the Model S (a premium niche product) and the Roadster, (even more niche) I personally don't like the styling of all the other models. I'm all in on TSLA and have been since 2012 with my life savings and they don't come more bullish than me, so their must be a significant percentage of the great majority of none investors out there who won't buy based on design/styling either?

I would add that I hope I am woefully wrong on this!

I should have added /s

The time spans are different anyway.

A mate once asked me if the price of a second hand Saab was ok. I got the used car price guide book out and asked him the year and what kind of Saab - the reply was 'blue, don't know what year'.

Not everyone is THAT clueless but people do want to stand out, be different. They have different needs which Tesla might be able to accommodate, but style is subjective.

Some people buy on cute, aggressive, easy access, comfortable seat. Many on brand loyalty - can that be broken.

Not all Model T, but Ford’s market share (US?) was 9 percent in 1908 rising to 61 percent in 1921.

Private hire cars in London were at some time around 30% Prius and the rest either executives/saloons (Mercedes, Avensis) or people carriers (Zafira etc).

It's a good question, "what % could Tesla get to?" I don't have an accurate answer but I suspect quite high with new smaller models.

When EVs are the obvious choice, there still won't be many choices and Tesla will be getting better, further ahead and cheaper. If I have to guess, I'll say 32% of sales could be Tesla in Europe. Private Hire (Uber, minicabs), company cars (especially) and private cars.

Just for the record, Here's my post from the day after the Semi / Roadster reveal. I never believed in the double stack battery theory. Would be way too heavy. New battery tech secured!

Tesla Semi Event -- November 16, 2017
Can we assume that 200MWH battery in such a small probably light car implies a significantly improved/different battery?
Post by: Thumper, Nov 16, 2017 in forum: Semi

4x Model S Plaid battery packs would hold ~900 KWh, and weigh ~2,500 kg. The average Semi truck weighs about 9000kg unloaded.

At $50/KWh it would cost $45,000 to make.

I'd actually bet the manufacturing cost of that battery + 4-6 drive units is less than the cost to make a giant 13L inline 6 turbodiesel engine + 13 speed transmission....

The ~$150k Semi is easily possible with this battery.

Last edited:
Did you even read what she wrote?

Here it is, whether she wrote 2 or 3 is immaterial:

"Predictably, when @elonmusk announced at Battery Day last week that would cut the price of a Model 3 to $25,000, several financial analysts panicked, downgrading the stock and/or cutting their price targets. In our view, traditional financial analysts have missed the mark.

Traditional auto analysts are analyzing a mature industry in which lower prices signal trouble: higher inventories and lower sales. Led by #Tesla, electric vehicles (EVs) are in their infancy, and BECAUSE of lower costs and prices, are moving into exponential growth trajectory

According to Wright’s Law, for every cumulative doubling in the number of EVs produced, costs will drop by 28%, suggesting that EV prices will drop below those of gas powered vehicles on a like-for-like basis during the next two years

Analysts following should be expert in energy storage, robotics, artificial intelligence, and software-as-service. While they are expert at the internal combustion engine, traditional auto analysts are not equipped to analyze EVs, particularly .

According to @skorusARK’s battery research, #EV sales will scale nearly 20-fold from roughly 1.8 million last year to 35 million, 40% of total global auto sales, during the next five to six years.

The auto industry has not enjoyed exponential growth in roughly 100 years. EVs have entered exponential growth territory that will last for the next five to ten years."

Elon corrected her in that he referred to the new model when talking about the $25k price, but that the prices of existing models will be going down as well I think is uncontested.. We saw it with model s S, X and 3 already. So, even with her writing 3, she is still right on point..

Stop presenting this as some incompetent gaffe..

she made an unforced error. it happens

BTW, for the ATV, a 20KWh Roadrunner pack would weigh ~185 (84kg) pounds and cost about $1000 to make... Plus it would be capable of 150hp!
...[snipped]...
Makes you wonder if Tesla will also get into manufacturing lawnmowers, tractors, etc....

IMHO, Tesla definitely should get into tractors, industrial and mining machinery, in order to forever silence the negative Nancies who keep bringing up carbon footprint of EV and battery manufacturing, (incorrectly) claiming it is worse than an ICE vehicle. The reality is that all that alleged carbon footprint comes purely from various part and raw material transportation plus industrial and mining equipment that is still diesel powered. If all those are replaced with EV technology, then the entire production starting from raw material mining to final Tesla vehicles can be done with zero emissions.

The one part that seems too good to be true to me is the silicon anode, mainly becuase it is new and I don't fully understand it.

Actually, that’s one part I liked a lot. The hype around silicon anodes is that they have 10x theoretical energy density over graphite, which isn’t even true. Due to other constraints, the max achievable is more like 3x. But anyways, what Tesla announced wasn’t even close to that, They only said 20% improvement BUT also a huge reduction in cost from $10 to $1.2 for the anode.

So instead of reaching for the moon for a 3x energy density boost with a silicon anode, like Novonix is doing with silicon nanowire, Tesla recognized all those other solutions are too expensive (at least currently). So, recognizing that synthetic graphite isn’t cheap, they realized they could go with much cheaper silicon, but do it in such a way to not get much of a energy density boost BUT it would reduce costs significantly. I think it’s brilliant.

IMHO, Tesla definitely should get into tractors, industrial and mining machinery, in order to forever silence the negative Nancies who keep bringing up carbon footprint of EV and battery manufacturing, (incorrectly) claiming it is worse than an ICE vehicle. The reality is that all that alleged carbon footprint comes purely from various part and raw material transportation plus industrial and mining equipment that is still diesel powered. If all those are replaced with EV technology, then the entire production starting from raw material mining to final Tesla vehicles can be done with zero emissions.

Tractors would be great - to remove the noise of those monstrosities from the country-side would be amazing.

One of the first things I checked was supercharger pricing on my new Model Y as I currently don’t have access to home charging. Well it turns out, if I’m happy to charge beyond 4-9pm, some Bay Area chargers cut my fuel cost in half ($0.31 / kWh normal, $0.16 for off-peak). So I can probably cover a mile for about 5 cents on that! My gas car was over 20 cents a mile on cheap US gas. Since we’re semi-retired, I have the freedom to save on fuel.

Frugality is not necessarily related to your pot size in the bank (or in TSLA for most of us on this board) :D
I've considered the cost of Supercharging to be a huge PLUS for the group of us that plan on seeing the USA in our Conestoga Cybertrcks. Originally (before I got the Tesla Money Bug) I hoped to earn enough money with TSLA that I could pay off the house, buy a small ($40k) property in Alabama, and buy a Cyber Conestoga Wagon. And then just tour the USA on my Social Security income, seeing everything a poor boy never got to see except in magazines, Or in the late Winter TV scheduling, on a Sunday Afternoon with Curt Gowdy, The American Sportsman.
Yes, Supercharger Fuel pricing is awesome, but especially if it is also being your "Home utility bill" for months on the road.
And i imagine to a lesser extent other road vacationers will grin from ear to ear as they top off their tank of electrons at the Supercharger.

Today's variable speed heat pumps are just about perfect. Maybe Musk just has a crappy system at home.

What's really missing are innovative ways to make ground source heat pumps in cold climates ubiquitous.

Given what Tesla did with the Octovalve, and put traditionally heat pump engineering to shame, I have no doubt that they can improve significantly on current home heat pump applications.

Stupid question...why is Tesla getting into Semi's before busses? Seems like busses would be an "easier" challenge compared to Semi's. School busses for example...They have plenty of time they can charge after the morning route and after the afternoon route.

Is there just more profit to be had with Semi's versus busses?

Plus I hate getting stuck behind a school bus and just watch the exhaust pore out. lol