Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, that’s one part I liked a lot. The hype around silicon anodes is that they have 10x theoretical energy density over graphite, which isn’t even true. Due to other constraints, the max achievable is more like 3x. But anyways, what Tesla announced wasn’t even close to that, They only said 20% improvement BUT also a huge reduction in cost from $10 to $1.2 for the anode.

So instead of reaching for the moon for a 3x energy density boost with a silicon anode, like Novonix is doing with silicon nanowire, Tesla recognized all those other solutions are too expensive (at least currently). So, recognizing that synthetic graphite isn’t cheap, they realized they could go with much cheaper silicon, but do it in such a way to not get much of a energy density boost BUT it would reduce costs
significantly. I think it’s brilliant.
Yeah, a 10x capacity anode doesn't help if the rest of the cell is not sized for that.
The energy improvement of Silicon is for an equal mass
Silicon has a much larger specific capacity (3600 mAh/g) than graphite (372 mAh/g)
Lithium–silicon battery - Wikipedia
Tesla likely downsized the anode to get a 20% boost with much less material (cost and mass savings). Thinner layer probably also gives better utilization and leaves room for other components (densities are very similar).

The market lept up after the election 4yrs ago. All kinds of stocks went up. It was due to the removal of uncertainty. I think it would have done the same thing had Clinton been elected.

This time around there is certainly the same level of uncertainty weighing on the market, and if the current behviour (rallying) is anything to go by, it will explode after the election. There may be some volatility if the result is contested or delayed.

In normal times, I would agree with you. At some point, the fact that our economy has been severely affected by the coronavirus has to mean something. Layered onto political issues, infection rates might spike going into the fall and then different states are going to react. So we shall see...

Reactions: Motor Mouth
Stupid question...why is Tesla getting into Semi's before busses? Seems like busses would be an "easier" challenge compared to Semi's. School busses for example...They have plenty of time they can charge after the morning route and after the afternoon route. Plus I hate getting stuck behind a school bus and just watch the exhaust pore out. lol

Tesla has shipping costs an internal fleet would reduce.
Other companies are doing buses.
Emissions wise, semis are a larger contributor. Medium and heavy duty trucks are ~20x buses

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100ZK4P.pdf

Given what Tesla did with the Octovalve, and put traditionally heat pump engineering to shame, I have no doubt that they can improve significantly on current home heat pump applications.
I've tried to see how, and I can't most of what Elon talks about when discussing HVAC for the home was available in theory back in the mid 1990's. And today's Thermostats do all the variations in adjusting air temperature that Elon has stated. As well as the micro-units adjusting temps for each room.
The only area that is left for improvement is reliability and efficiency, and I don't see an octovalve as a meaningful technology for HVAC. Octovalve is capable of repeatedly adjusting the thermal aspects of various components using the same source...
LOL I guess if you designed an HVAC that kept your Fridge Cold, and funneled heat produced by your AC to your oven you'd have the equivalent of a home octovalve. In other words..not happening in Elon's lifetime.

Stupid question...why is Tesla getting into Semi's before busses? Seems like busses would be an "easier" challenge compared to Semi's. School busses for example...They have plenty of time they can charge after the morning route and after the afternoon route.

Elon said it was because other companies are already tackling buses, so they don't need to. Nobody was really going after Semi's. (Also Jerome has lots of Semi experience and wanted to do it.)

Given what Tesla did with the Octovalve, and put traditionally heat pump engineering to shame, I have no doubt that they can improve significantly on current home heat pump applications.
The magic of the octovalve is vehicle-wide heat management. For residential applications, you'd want to integrate refrigeration, hvac, cooking, hot water, and possibly other systems in order to harvest waste energy and produce a similar result.

I'm not saying Tesla shouldn't pursue this, but it's a tall order.

Stupid question...why is Tesla getting into Semi's before busses? Seems like busses would be an "easier" challenge compared to Semi's. School busses for example...They have plenty of time they can charge after the morning route and after the afternoon route.

Is there just more profit to be had with Semi's versus busses?

Plus I hate getting stuck behind a school bus and just watch the exhaust pore out. lol

A lot of buses in N. American cities are hybrid, run on biofuel or natural gas, so the impact of reducing greenhouse emission is less than going after Semi. That's just my unprofessional opinion.

Is there just more profit to be had with Semi's versus busses?

Plus I hate getting stuck behind a school bus and just watch the exhaust pore out. lol

It's pretty easy to figure out how to run and charge buses and shorter range trunks. Tesla's advantage is in batteries and charging where other companies don't have the tech to make cost effective EV products.

• Love
Reactions: SOULPEDL
This shat seriously needs to stop

A Telsa Moedl 3 in China was c@ught on video smashing into a fake pedestrian in an automatic braking test

A Tesla Model 3 in China was caught on video smashing into a fake pedestrian in an automatic braking test

Bunch of moronic sites post this one after another. To whomever does not know better, which applies to 99% of people, it is a blunt misrepresentation of how things really are.

Now, that 99% of the mass will see Tes las as pedestrian 'unfriendly' cars.

What can be done to prevent lies? Legal action?

I don't doubt it's real, as I continually take over to avoid cones and parked cars, but it keeps getting better, and... Dojo. Denying the dummy really happened is risky; if you're wrong, you lose credibility. My joke last week about having all the cars at the Battery Day Event do Summon - doesn't take much imagination to predict complete chaos there.

OT.... Dojo will use 4D, and that time element is needed to predict the future as both bodies are moving to intersect (or not). This problem likely disappears in FSD 2021. The other issue is whether the car saw a pedestrian or a piece of trash blowing. It is possible the dummy human isn't moving like a real human and it was ignored (as stated in the post). That's even more risky to speculate IMO. Like saying someone in a wheelchair won't get recognized as human.

You are not alone! We are agonising over whether to switch from Nespresso to coffee brewed in a pot because the capsules are expensive. Given our financial position, this is crazy :)
Never mind the cost, the capsules are an ecological nightmare. Buy an expensive coffee grinder instead. You'll get better coffee and you'll feel better about yourself.

The magic of the octovalve is vehicle-wide heat management. For residential applications, you'd want to integrate refrigeration, hvac, cooking, hot water, and possibly other systems in order to harvest waste energy and produce a similar result.

I'm not saying Tesla shouldn't pursue this, but it's a tall order.
I beat ya to it..but we are like minds.
"

1. lafrisbee, 12 minutes ago

I've tried to see how, and I can't most of what Elon talks about when discussing HVAC for the home was available in theory back in the mid 1990's. And today's Thermostats do all the variations in adjusting air temperature that Elon has stated. As well as the micro-units adjusting temps for each room.
    The only area that is left for improvement is reliability and efficiency, and I don't see an octovalve as a meaningful technology for HVAC. Octovalve is capable of repeatedly adjusting the thermal aspects of various components using the same source...
    LOL I guess if you designed an HVAC that kept your Fridge Cold, and funneled heat produced by your AC to your oven you'd have the equivalent of a home octovalve. In other words..not happening in Elon's lifetime.

EDIT DELETE REPORT
    + QUOTE REPLY

2. MP3MikeWell-Known Member

Reactions: reardencode
Farmers are starting to look at electric - they have plenty of large roofs, potential to auto-bid or don't want to pay for grid connections and diesel deliveries. Also, some places are removing low tax for agricultural-use diesel

Ultimately farming will go to robotics, as opposed to electrifying today's tractors. Combines are used so few hours per year that they will probably stay diesel for decades and use biofuel.

But weeding should be able to change from chemical back to mechanical. And insect control see a reduction of chemical use through innovation. Plowing is high horsepower but used less and less. Cultivation and planting should be able to be done with low power but with the energy use spread over many hours. Basically a robot or two working long hours and powered by solar on the barn.

Also pollution for operators and pollution in public areas by council workers and contractors - eventually it will go electric. You won't be able to buy the fuel.

Farmers are starting to look at electric - they have plenty of large roofs, potential to auto-bid or don't want to pay for grid connections and diesel deliveries. Also, some places are removing low tax for agricultural-use diesel.
Yep,
A bloke you are probably familiar with on Youtube, "Fully Charged" did a segment on an electric tractor about a month ago... I had tractor envy, and I only own .3 acres at the moment.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Tractors would be great - to remove the noise of those monstrosities from the country-side would be amazing.
F4915DB5-9A7E-4DEF-A2B1-1805FBEF7F82.jpeg

As I've said in other posts, the octovalve was a novel packaging/cost optimization that certainly helps in an automotive application.

However, AFAIK it introduced no new capability or performance improvements in and of itself that couldn't have been accomplished with more traditional discrete components.

Do you have any information otherwise that supports the idea that supports the idea that it's such a significant engineering advance that it " put traditionally[sic] heat pump engineering to shame"? Or that it represents something that would improve a stationary (i.e. - home) heat pump significantly?

As I've said in other posts, the octovalve was a novel packaging/cost optimization that certainly helps in an automotive application.

However, AFAIK it introduced no new capability or performance improvements in and of itself that couldn't have been accomplished with more traditional discrete components.

Do you have any information otherwise that supports the idea that supports the idea that it's such a significant engineering advance that it " put traditionally[sic] heat pump engineering to shame"? Or that it represents something that would improve a stationary (i.e. - home) heat pump significantly?

Watch Sandy Munroe's videos about it. It accomplishes in about 3 pieces what would take traditional setups orders of magnitude more pieces and space.

Stupid question...why is Tesla getting into Semi's before busses? Seems like busses would be an "easier" challenge compared to Semi's. School busses....
There's probably 550,000 in service across China today. It's pretty much been figured out. With the regular circuit, mostly city use, and existing depot infrastructure, it's a good bit easier.

As for school buses....in the US you'd probably be fighting a TON of misguided red tape on safety, etc...

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h