Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good thing it's nothing important. I saw the sudden collapse of futures and went looking for news of floods, fires, and war. But this is pretty much irrelevant. Market should be fine tomorrow.

We don’t know the extent of spread within the White House yet. While I agree that Trump simply getting COVID doesn’t warrant a sell off, I don’t think the markets shrug this off so easily tomorrow.

To expand on this, we don’t even know if he was contagious when he debated Biden.

Article on possible scenarios: If the President Tests Positive for the Virus, What Happens?

Last edited:
Trump tested positive for Covid and futures just tanked.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1311892190680014849?s=20

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!" | Twitter 1hr ago

Dow futures plunge 500 points after Trump says he tested positive for coronavirus | CNBC.com

"Stock futures plunged in early morning trading on Friday after President Donald Trump said he tested positive for the coronavirus."​

NASDAQ-100 futures -1.87%, S&P 500 -1.64% at 02:08 AM ET

Last edited:
We don’t know the extent of spread within the White House yet. While I agree that Trump simply getting COVID doesn’t warrant a sell off, I don’t think the markets shrug this off so easily tomorrow.

To expand on this, we don’t even know if he was contagious when he debated Biden.

Agree with this. Just the possibility of either Trump or Biden being sidelined is destabilising not just for US politics but also for US China relations. The market will be factoring in the higher likelihood of a black swan event.

Was out boozing last night, 10 pages behind, apologies if already posted. Let's hope the news that the US's glorious leader testing +ve for C19 does rain on our parade...

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1311683857046024201

upload_2020-10-2_7-49-47.png

Not trying to ruin your thought, but he is still the president of one of the most powerful countries in the world.
Yeah but he also proved all you need is confidence to be the president so whatever. This country practically runs itself. Plenty of people from both sides can do the job. Not like Trump is Elon who is actually chief engineer of SpaceX

I still expect Q3 deliveries to be announced pre-market in a few hours. If the market is disappointed, it could be brutal.

EDIT: For the next 5 weeks, this could actually calm markets down if it precludes Trump from doing something desperate as we approach the finish line. The next 2 debates probably won't happen, which is a good thing and there should be less vitriol and anger on the campaign trail because of less campaigning.

Last edited:
Great, just when we were expecting a great P&D report tomorrow :(

Maybe TSLA should just hold off releasing the numbers till Monday. Why release them tomorrow when the entire news cycle will be dominated by Trump and his positive test. I will lose out on my speculative options for tomorrow, but i would rather wait for next week after the craziness over the weekend dies down.
I doubt very much whether Tesla will release numbers with any consideration for the news cycle. Tesla doesn't particularly care whether people pay any attention to these numbers. In fact, I suspect they would rather they came out with no fanfare whatsoever.

But if you let Tesla IR know what you "would rather", I'm sure they'll take that into due consideration.

I still expect Q3 deliveries to be announced pre-market in a few hours. If the market is disappointed, it could be brutal.
If the numbers are disappointing, Tesla will wait for the weekend. Of course, they might not be ready, or Tesla might wait for some other reason. But I'm fairly sure if the numbers are bad, we won't see them on Friday morning.

Of course it is possible that Tesla will announce great numbers and the market will still be disappointed. Not likely though.

Since Trump doesn't hold the secret for turning low grade lithium clay to high grade lithium for battery production, him getting the virus has about zero material impact on the company.
Obviously, but that isn't the point.

To some degree, the market is affected. For those who are long TSLA, this doesn't even register. For traders, depends on what side they are on.

This could make conservatives and Republicans even more angry with China. That may affect U.S. policy which could materially affect Tesla.

Reactions: MD70 and JustMe