Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Tesla Semi might have a good shot in India. It will be cheaper to run there too just as in the US. And transport businesses have more capital than the general population and perhaps the longer view on the cost benefits of EVs.

Many Semis will only need to charge at their home base in the US. And I'm sure that is true for India too. Megachargers can be built out as needed by actual Semi buyers.

Not sure about Semi in India, but intriguing thoughts.

It used to be that a lot of vegetables (30%) were spoiled due to hold-ups at state borders (locals mentioned bakshish - bribery being a reason). Scandals regarding onion shortages and high prices. Dopiaza (two/double onion) off the menu.

Semi might be much better at refrigeration than diesel. Semi WOULD be much better at high altitude and some routes are very high altitude with -30C temperatures freezing diesel. Amit Shah launches special winter-grade diesel for Ladakh

Electric trucks might be easier on infrastructure, more reliable and cheaper to run than trucks struggling with less oxygen/air pressure, over-heating of brakes, needing special grades of diesel and all of the logistics of getting brakes, engine parts and multiple grades of diesel to fuel stations. You wouldn't want to use more expensive, perhaps sub-optimal diesel coming onto lower altitudes - so 2 grades would be needed for part of the year.

Setting up electric recharging using solar, hydro and storage would seem easier than a long tail of over-stressed diesel trucks.

Agreed, big cars won't work everywhere. A slightly modified CyberATV for carrying people/supplies could be a very practical vehicle for not only some Indian markets, but in any market with high population density and a mild climate. Adding a trailer hitch also increases its utility. Here in the states, ATVs are commonly used for all kinds of (small-scale) work tasks, from plowing snow from driveways/parking lots, moving/hauling firewood, pulling tree stumps, getting over rough, wooded terrain, etc.

The small town I live in, the climate is mild and dry most of the year. I'm planning to buy the CyberATV for our around-town vehicle (no need to take the Y to the grocery store and risk it getting damaged, and the ATV uses less energy per mile than our Y). With a secure rack on the back we can both hop on the ATV and do various errands like grocery shopping; if we need lumber from Home Depot, put a trailer on the back.

If it wasn't for how loud, stinky and obnoxious current ATVs are I'd do that now.
Why not these:
Test Ride Request | Polaris GEM
There are tons of those around that seem ideal for that use.

Why do we think that for the past two weeks "they" have been trying to pin the price to max pain for the entire week?
Personally I don't think it's "them." Tesla just hasn't had the chance to really consolidate since 8/11. Volume has been anemic. People are not willing to place bets right now. The BB is constricting as we speak. I give it 1-2 weeks before breaking out, provided macro support.

If the GOP wake up and support the DEM's stimulus proposal then that will pop the markets overall

What I've been reading is that the GOP views the economy already in full-swing recovery, except for certain sectors like retails and dining, so they are not willing to support as large a stimulus now that unemployment is below 9% and continuing further down.

Don't shoot the messenger, that's just what I've read on various sites.

I think the Dems should take what they can get and run with it, because by the time Biden takes office, there will likely be one or more vaccines out and the GOP will not support any stimulus at that time.

What I've been reading is that the GOP views the economy already in full-swing recovery, except for certain sectors like retails and dining, so they are not willing to support as large a stimulus now that unemployment is below 9% and continuing further down.

I think the Dems should take what they can get and run with it, because by the time Biden takes office, there will likely be one or more vaccines out and the GOP will not support any stimulus at that time.

Any stimulus should just be direct cash to people IMHO.

For the cost of the Dem stimulus you could cut every adult in the USA a check for ~$7,000

It's just another pork feeding trough for special interests with crumbs for everyone else... Both the D and R proposals.

I'm pretty certain that DEMs will be controlling all levels of government, so shouldn't be a problem.

Not to get political, but it's looking like a landslide victory right now, I'm not sure there's ever been such a wide lead going into the election: President—Forecasting the US 2020 elections

Remember Hilary was a dead-cert to win with, what a 3-point lead.

Again, not to talk politics here, just to foresee what's coming and how me may need to react to it.

I'm pretty certain that DEMs will be controlling all levels of government, so shouldn't be a problem.

Not to get political, but it's looking like a landslide victory right now, I'm not sure there's ever been such a wide lead going into the election: President—Forecasting the US 2020 elections

Remember Hilary was a dead-cert to win with, what a 3-point lead.

Again, not to talk politics here, just to foresee what's coming and how me may need to react to it.

Your not in the US, so you are not aware of our nuances. Not to get political, but even if a party doesn't have majority control of the House, or Senate, there is still plenty they can do to block legislation. For example, in the Senate, with a few notable exceptions, you cannot pass new legislation without a 60% majority (to beat the filibuster). Now, this "rule" can be changed by the majority, but it opens up all kinds of additional problems.

So, it's not a clear cut even if the Dems get House, Senate, and WH, will they get everything they want. And remember, Trump has put more judges into lifetime positions than any other president in history (over 2X as many as Obama did in 8 years). A lot of legislation can be stalled or reversed completely at the judicial level.

My point - don't expect the gridlock to stop in the US political system just because the Dems sweep everything. There is a complex set of checks and balances that can be utilized by a minority party to stall legislation.

No political post - just factual. The absolute best path forward is for the two parties to come to a compromise.

Tesla (TSLA) has 'moved on' from its competitors, venture capitalist says

“Tesla is no longer about the car business,” Palihapitiya said on an episode of CNBC’s Squawk Box on Tuesday morning. “The value of this business is about deregulating energy. That’s about batteries and battery storage, and it’s about disrupting utilities.”
“I think that the people trying to compete with [Tesla], are not the people that they are competing with,” Palihapitiya added. “They’ve sort of moved on.”

Your not in the US, so you are not aware of our nuances. Not to get political, but even if a party doesn't have majority control of the House, or Senate, there is still plenty they can do to block legislation. For example, in the Senate, with a few notable exceptions, you cannot pass new legislation without a 60% majority (to beat the filibuster). Now, this "rule" can be changed by the majority, but it opens up all kinds of additional problems.

So, it's not a clear cut even if the Dems get House, Senate, and WH, will they get everything they want. And remember, Trump has put more judges into lifetime positions than any other president in history (over 2X as many as Obama did in 8 years). A lot of legislation can be stalled or reversed completely at the judicial level.

My point - don't expect the gridlock to stop in the US political system just because the Dems sweep everything. There is a complex set of checks and balances that can be utilized by a minority party to stall legislation.

No political post - just factual. The absolute best path forward is for the two parties to come to a compromise.

I think there is more of a growing bipartisan consensus around the environment. Green tech is no longer non-economical, and the moral case is stronger.

It should be apparent to all that electric cars is an easy path to reverse the decades-long decline in the US auto industry into dominance.

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of manufacturing ~11m ICE vehicles per year and importing (net) ~6m per year, instead we go with our current strengths in EV manufacturing and end up making ~20m EVs per year and exporting (net) ~2m per year? It's possible.

I think the Tesla Semi might have a good shot in India. It will be cheaper to run there too just as in the US. And transport businesses have more capital than the general population and perhaps the longer view on the cost benefits of EVs.

Many Semis will only need to charge at their home base in the US. And I'm sure that is true for India too. Megachargers can be built out as needed by actual Semi buyers.
Elon is gonna need to step up his cowbell game...
Blog-Image-16.jpg