Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given Tesla can't build remotely enough cybertrucks to replace all the trucks sold annually in the US (and those with average selling prices well north of 40-50k) they don't need to beat the cybertruck on features and price- they just need to beat ICE trucks on features/price and they'll sell as many as they can build just like Tesla will with the CT.

Or people will put off buying new ones and keep old ones longer. Used prices might rise, increased spare part and servicing costs/income for a while, but eventually Cybertruck & others will be the shiny aspirational things. Buying second best will seem naff. Won't stop all sales of ICE - but it might knock a few % sales off, above and beyond pure EV sales.

You can Osborne yourself and Osborne others. My guess is that during the transition from horses to ICE, new horse-carriage sales dived a long time before cars were produced in overwhelming numbers. Writing was on the wall, getting a new carriage (now ICE) just looks dumb and doesn't cut it when "keeping up with the Jones'".

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1315616137464307718?s=21

E0E56375-D868-4200-9FE1-320C375BB8E3.jpeg

Right before earnings call? :D

Question is are these small group folks limited to an NDA, or can we expect some Youtube videos out of this?
Can't imagine they'll be too limited. The PR department just got canned......and we're now headed into the greatest PR run in company history. The Youtubers are gonna go insane!

Could also be a response to the recent Waymo announcement to give an update as to how much better Tesla’s solution is compared to Waymo. Also, perhaps more importantly- recognize more FSD revenue in Q4 when deployed fleet-wide.
Would seem to me to more related to Waymo or more likely Waymo related to Tesla progress really.

What about the chance that Elon announces a Beta Ride Sharing network with it? Only the most careful drivers, who are a part of the network are allowed to test it out? Maybe Earnings would also be the right moment to announce that a fraction of 5B could be used for financing deals for Tesla Network Drivers?

I know I have been super skeptical in the past about the Ride hailing network. I worked for the autonomous division of a ride hailing as well as a big OEM. Autonomous ride hailing app tech stack is quite complicated to build. But I am now considering the possibility that they might be able to use services of many Ride hailing backend providers like RideOS and others to quickly build it out.

Side note, looking to short Uber with puts 30p nov 27. The Volatility on UBER is pretty low at the moment. Check it here

Would seem to me to more related to Waymo or more likely Waymo related to Tesla progress really.

Seems more likely the other way around, since this has been Elon's stated intent for deployment of the new "4-D FSD" rewrite for at least the past 8 weeks.

Waymo likely wants to grab some free PR. I think Tesla should make a video in Phoenix, with FSD operating side by side with a Waymo on its own home turf... and then FSD breaking out of the boundry while Waymo's gadget stops dead in its tracks.

Anyway, that's what some Youtuber should do... :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Seems more likely the other way around, since this has been Elon's stated intent for deployment of the new "4-D FSD" rewrite for at least the past 8 weeks.
Agree. The keywords are "as promised". Elon would like Tesla to be know more for meeting their target dates, and avoid unproductive questions during the earning call, IMO.

There have been many 'FSD is coming' announcements. All delayed. But I think once we get as specific as 'Tuesday' we can finally agree it is actually happening! Question is are these small group folks limited to an NDA, or can we expect some Youtube videos out of this?
I wouldn't expect any youtube video on this. This is not early access but looks to be small group of people who are hand selected internally or else how else would he know if they are experts at driving or not. So any kind of video sharing may get you fired.

However, maybe some targeted "hype" footage may see the light of day allowed by Tesla, and call then "leaks".

What about the chance that Elon announces a Beta Ride Sharing network with it?
Too much Covid liability to launch ride sharing right now. Will you really trust a 3rd party to sanitize and disinfect the car after EVERY ride?

This isn't on Tesla's Master Plan critical path, so its best to wait until public health risks return to normal. Wide-spread but private FSD validates the self-driving tech well-enough in the meantime.

I will say though that a few locations may be safe for public ride sharing right now, such as New Zealand and Shanghai (where Covid is well controlled).

Cheers!