Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are trying to attribute a single variable to a multivariable effect (economic growth).

I don't think you or I have economics degrees and are qualified to make that assertion.

What I can only speak to, as a small business owner, is that when my taxes go down, I re-invest the extra $$$ in my business to grow it, and that investment is in people, specifically, in terms of new hires.
Keeping in mind of course that small businesses specifically would likely benefit from lower taxes moving forward under the proposed plan. Your TSLA gains? Can't help you with that pending hit! (disclosure: I'm of the opinion capital gains should be taxed as normal income)

To the original question......the "blue wave" means there's no split between WH and Senate. That's the real macro risk, 2 years of nothing getting done would be potentially catastrophic and lead to the log overdue traditional(non-pandemic) global recession. That's the worry anyway. Or that the whole thing is too close to call and turns into a shitshow for 2 months with the same effect.

Why don't we go with something that is viewed as more "middle of the road":
How do taxes affect the economy in the long run?

I can say, for FACT, that I hired more employees due to tax cuts in the past 4 years. These were NOT planned hires that would have happened anyway.

If taxes are raised, I fully expect to furlough those same employees.

There is a limited pool of funds for wages, lower taxes expands that pool, for my business. Higher taxes, shrinks it.

Some may hire fewer due to higher taxes.

Others may hire more due to higher taxes that pays for more services needed or encourages certain behaviors. IE, more EVs sold.

I guess it depends on which outcome we want. More jobs in certain lines of work or more jobs in other lines of work along with possibly better purchasing decisions.

Ya know who I think is gonna finally buy his massive chunk of TSLA post-election? Or maybe even looking for an entry point right now?

GettyImages-1163170859.jpg

Some may hire fewer due to higher taxes.

Others may hire more due to higher taxes that pays for more services needed or encourages certain behaviors. IE, more EVs sold.

I guess it depends on which outcome we want. More jobs in certain lines of work or more jobs in other lines of work along with possibly better purchasing decisions.

I know a lot of businessmen, I've never seen any of them hire more workers solely due to higher taxes. Their business may already be on a growth trajectory, and they hire for that reason, but not because taxes were increased.

Keeping in mind of course that small businesses specifically would likely benefit from lower taxes moving forward under the proposed plan. Your TSLA gains? Can't help you with that pending hit! (disclosure: I'm of the opinion capital gains should be taxed as normal income)

To the original question......the "blue wave" means there's no split between WH and Senate. That's the real macro risk, 2 years of nothing getting done would be potentially catastrophic and lead to the log overdue traditional(non-pandemic) global recession. That's the worry anyway. Or that the whole thing is too close to call and turns into a shitshow for 2 months with the same effect.

100% of my TSLA gains have been in tax-deferred or tax-free accounts (IRA, 401k, Roth). Living where I live, tax sheltering is a FIRST consideration for investment, not an afterthought.

Ya know who I think is gonna finally buy his massive chunk of TSLA post-election? Or maybe even looking for an entry point right now?

GettyImages-1163170859.jpg
Interestingly, insurance was mentioned at the last earnings call as a future area of growth-- where presumably FSD effects will be to decrease risk and rates for automobile coverage. WB may have to buy in or be out of business...

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
@Pezpunk - why the disagree?

That last sentence should be viewed as a statement of fact. Literally, when you tax me, I work less, when you reduce my taxes, I work more.

My wife is self-employeed, and near the end of the year she literally closes up shop for a few weeks to a few months at a time to keep us from bumping up into a higher tax bracket. That's simply a statement of fact, we watch our income to mitigate tax effects. I know several other physicians that do the same thing, they don't want to work 80h weeks and then see > 50% of that income not go into their pockets (between state and fed taxes).

By working less, it does hurt some but helps others. It’s possible more are happy to get more work to cover the shortfall.

I would prefer a sliding scale over brackets though.

Reactions: wtlloyd and JRP3
By working less, it does hurt some but helps others. It’s possible more are happy to get more work to cover the shortfall.

I would prefer a sliding scale over brackets though.

I would prefer a flat rate tax, no exceptions for capital gains, etc. You work more, you make more.

For me, the hard line is 50%+ taxes. When I hit that (state+fed), I stop working because I believe I am literally working more for someone else than myself, and that just doesn't sit right with me.

I know a lot of businessmen, I've never seen any of them hire more workers solely due to higher taxes. Their business may already be on a growth trajectory, and they hire for that reason, but not because taxes were increased.

As an example, Higher taxes in some states pay for EV incentives. That would translate to more EV sales which would probably require more employees.

The market is far more interested in forward looking data. TSLA down today is matching the market, which might be a bummer for covered call sellers, since our volatility continues to decline. Good news for leaps buyers, since volatility is down and the odds of TSLA rising over 2 years is pretty solid. The odds of Tesla having a great quarter are pretty solid as well, but there are huge macro issues concerning Covid, election stability and future pandemic relief could be delayed until 2021. The Bush admin partnered with incoming Obama admin to push forward recession relief. It may not have been the best thought out, but it was like Starlink, better than nothing beta. If Trump loses, I don't see lame duck congress or admin helping push forward relief. If Trump wins, relief would likely be smaller than Dems want and more targeted to big business, like coal miners, frackers, airlines, and cruise lines.
I wish I had more dry powder to buy, but I think I'd wait to see what happens after the polls close. Long term, the fed will keep pumping and that will lead to asset inflation, even while productivity continues to drive down the price of good and services. Until the pumping stops, which the fed will signal months in advance, the market will continue to rise. *I'm not judging the process, but the fed sees few options outside of pushing the market to help maintain the economy. It would be interesting if they would expand their comfort zone and buy up credit card debt in a deal with the banks to reduce credit card rates. That would help sustain the economy more than propping up American Airlines or the fossil fuel industry. (sorry for OT at the end there).

I tend to agree. My thinking was actually more along the lines of - “will there be a brief pump on the news?” - since the QOQ numbers are somewhat misleading anyway (clawing back part of a huge annualized decrease in GDP is not exactly stellar news)

~~~Some extremely intelligent participants are showing not only their inability to see the bigger, long-term picture, but they also are demonstrating several Fallacies. I've stopped deleting posts amongst the most recent 100 or so, but each of you who has been unable to ===>stay RIGIDLY<=== true to exactly how anything you'd like to say regarding the upcoming US election and its socioeconomic, market-redounding consequences pertains SOLELY to Tesla and TSLA are going to be taking a forced vacation until some time after 3 November. Starting right now.~~~