Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upside I guess is if it gets it and its minor then at least hes got some immunity for a little while. That should derisk a little
No. Too many long-term, poorly understood side-effects. Risk goes up and stays up for quite a while. At least until after he recovers and demonstrates his ability to perform at his previous insane (ludicrous?) level. That's actual risk. As to perceived risk, which is what the stock price will reflect, I can't say.

When I saw videos of Elon on his earlier trip to GigaBerlin surrounded by people not masked-up to minimize spread I was worried and recall I posted here.

Obviously just because he is a hyper-self-confident incredibly successful uber-Genius +4-5 STDDEV IQ billionaire does not give him immunity. Recall his uninformed Covid-19 tweets earlier this year when he was trying to get GigaFremont re-opened which came off as really insensitive.

Now, IF he has it (and I think he does based upon all my Covid-19 reading these past 9 months but I am not an MD), I am worried that he will not rest, rest, rest to let his immune system fight it with the proper medical protocol. If I were him, I'd contact Donald and find out where he got his drug from just in case it were needed. I hope Grimes (who may have it too along with their child) FORCES him to forget about his businesses for as long as needed to take care of his health and recover for his family.

NOT investing advice: I anticipate the market is going to freak out tomorrow, especially if PCR testing confirms it. Definitely a buying opportunity. I predict a gap down Friday at the open. We will go below $400 if confirmed, possibly down as low as $380 (-9%) since Wall Street - especially the AI-driven automated trading algorithms - overreact to everything $TSLA because we ride a volatility rollercoaster. Then the micro will be driven by Elon's health until he recovers.

Besides the viral awesome products, Elon's Twitter and enormous Internet following (from podcasts, etc.) is the driving reason behind $TSLA never having to advertise their products. If we lost him, depending upon who replaced him, for some time I'm afraid it might be like $AAPL without Steve when Tim took over. My analogy is Elon is like a brilliant gambler who figured out how to beat the house (ICE, Lockheed, etc.) when everyone said it was impossible. I can't think of any replacement who would be like that? Thoughts?

* The reason I believe Elon has Covid-19 is 2 positive and 2 negative tests probably indicate his viral load is barely enough to trigger a positive test, but it is unlike for him to have 2 false positives out of 4 -- let's hope I'm wrong! The more accurate PCR (polymerase chain reaction) lab test he is waiting to get results back from within 24 hours is the one where they swab your nose.

My family and I have to get PCR's before we can board our flight to Taiwan:

"Travelers should provide a certificate of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued by a qualified medical institution in his/her place of departure within three days prior to boarding the flight" [Taiwan CDC]

No. Too many long-term, poorly understood side-effects. Risk goes up and stays up for quite a while. At least until after he recovers and demonstrates his ability to perform at his previous insane (ludicrous?) level. That's actual risk. As to perceived risk, which is what the stock price will reflect, I can't say.

Last edited:
So I think I mostly decoded this. Rob--Tesla Daily, Jordan Geisege for battery tech-The Limiting Factor, Dave Lee on Investing.
I don't think I know who the "chicken dude" is, but I'd love to learn. SMC 4lolz? Not sure there either. Solving the Money Problem?

SMC= Steven Mark Cyan?

Bugger, that's a typo. Still, gave you all something to think about for a bit ;)

And yeah, Chicken Genius

I'm increasingly thinking about this. How I perceive Teslas edge, and how I perceive this forums to also see it, sometimes feels very too good to be true. But the stuff tslaq tends to say is always completely without merit. I'd really like someone who can actually make a strong argument against Teslas dominance to get a chance to speak. It's unsettling how unhinged teslaq is.

The one thing that my confidence wavers on is FSD. I'm less impressed with the first beta release than I was hoping. But I'm also pretty impressed with the improvement since then. So who knows.

My Uncertainty (as part of the FUD) is that I can't find much info on how Chinese EV manufacturers are progressing - they seem to be able to create decent EVs (Xpeng, NIO) for a cheap price and scale quickly. They also seem to be able to knock off decent parts of Tesla's tech quite quickly (e.g. cell to pack). Their battery supply doesn't appear to be constrained if they are using LFP batteries either. It feels like their progress is a bit of a black box to me.

I don't think it's going to stop Tesla - but I find it difficult to estimate how large Tesla's market share will be in the future - 20%, 40%, 60% - who knows. I still expect Tesla to be worth far more in the future than it is now - but will it cap out at 5x current market cap due to decent enough competition, or will it run 20x and be a true incomparable industrial juggernaut?

I have my eggs in the Tesla basket because I have high confidence Tesla will do well - whereas the Chinese competition could do well or not - it's hard to tell. I don't put any faith in legacy OEMs adapting.

Fremont flyover Nov-12
  • Beautiful fall colors this evening
  • At 5:43, we can see the red Semi pulling a load similar to the test load seen on public roads, but not the same
  • At 6:06 we can see the second gigapress in motion

Enjoy
There's still a lot of material in the Kato Road parking lot. Presumably Tesla are still fabricating changes to the line in situ to get production volumes up. Investor day mentioned that there will be several more iterations of the line.

TSLA in Germany currently down 0.7%-ish - €346 = $408.8

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-13 um 10.26.33.png

Doesn't look like any panic selling.

Last edited:
My Uncertainty (as part of the FUD) is that I can't find much info on how Chinese EV manufacturers are progressing - they seem to be able to create decent EVs (Xpeng, NIO) for a cheap price and scale quickly. They also seem to be able to knock off decent parts of Tesla's tech quite quickly (e.g. cell to pack). Their battery supply doesn't appear to be constrained if they are using LFP batteries either. It feels like their progress is a bit of a black box to me.

I don't think it's going to stop Tesla - but I find it difficult to estimate how large Tesla's market share will be in the future - 20%, 40%, 60% - who knows. I still expect Tesla to be worth far more in the future than it is now - but will it cap out at 5x current market cap due to decent enough competition, or will it run 20x and be a true incomparable industrial juggernaut?

I have my eggs in the Tesla basket because I have high confidence Tesla will do well - whereas the Chinese competition could do well or not - it's hard to tell. I don't put any faith in legacy OEMs adapting.

Mass manufacturing profitably at scale is *HARD*. we've witnessed first-hand the Herculean, practically miraculous effort it takes. These companies have a huge advantage in the backing of the Chinese government, but that government will not throw good money after bad forever. If these companies can't execute at world-class levels, they're going to fail eventually. Mountains of investment money is a prerequisite, for sure, and they appear to have that. But in no way does it guarantee long-term survival. I agree with your black-box take. There's a chance they could succeed, but I have no way of knowing whether they will or not. I don't invest in black boxes. I invest in things I know about.