Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you sump up all Twitter accounts for each brand?
Example: bmw + bmwgroup + bmwusa + BMW_SA + bmwfrance + BMWi_France...

A French twitter user would probably follow the French BMW account, while only the main, US-focus Tesla account is active (cf https://twitter.com/tesla_france)

No, just the one with the most followers. Partly because a single user could follow multiple accounts, but mostly out of laziness :)

• Love
Reactions: oldTAVguy
TSLA 08:00 A.M. Real-time chart:

TSLA.2020-11-16.08-00.png

Pre-Market Vol by 8 a.m. was 267K shares (moderate), similar to Friday's volume at this time.

VWAP thru 8 am was $411.18 (+2.68 +0.66%) but btwn 7-8 am SP walked dn to 407.50

Cheers!

Last edited:
I remain in complete and utter shock that Toyota is still going down this rabbit hole of stupidity and absurdity. Elon called H2 out in 2015, and I see nothing that could have possibly changed this thinking--this remains beyond stupid on Toyota's part and I am dumbfounded.

Is it possible the fossil fuel interests have this much influence?

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable on Japan, but what I heard was that after Fukushima they want to get off nuclear power, and their best idea for doing that is to switch to H2 power generation, potentially importing a lot of the H2 from Australia.

So, it seems like H2 is meant to be a Big Thing in Japan. In which case Toyota might be doing a reasonable thing for the local market. If Hydrogen is plentiful and batteries are not (so much not that they have to split a BEV-sized battery across a ton of hybrids to reach any kind of scale), it might be low-hanging fruit to pursue fuel cells for the local market.

Then the question is why they appear to think they can sway the rest of the world market with this approach. The rest of the world where hydrogen is NOT a big thing and minimal if any infrastructure or supply will be in place.

Initial results from the Moderna vaccine show a 95% success rate. Hopefully no major issues will arise going forward and once the balls rolling with millions getting vaccinated things can start to go back to normal by the middle of next year.
They really need to stop releasing vaccine news on Mondays...release them on Fridays would be ideal..to F with MM lol. Plus Mondays are rally days for tech.

Well, I'm out of the biz, having retired ten years ago now. But my experience is that big-M Methodologies come and go. And it was always a surprise to me just how little really changed. Perhaps Agile development is different, but every Methodology I ever saw was pretty much a way to try to avoid needing great programmers to produce great software. In the end though, no Methodology ever produced great software from a team of mediocrities.
That's about right in my opinion, before Agile there was prototyping which basically accomplished the same thing. You constructed a bare bones program and interface then let the users play with it, adding functionality as you learned more about what was actually needed (usually different than the original specs). Agile is just a new name for the same clothes, but it makes the managers feel important.

Well summarized, again, by SMR here:

I remain in complete and utter shock that Toyota is still going down this rabbit hole of stupidity and absurdity. Elon called H2 out in 2015, and I see nothing that could have possibly changed this thinking--this remains beyond stupid on Toyota's part and I am dumbfounded.

Is it possible the fossil fuel interests have this much influence?
It's also the dealer networks. Hydrogen requires a lot of maintenance that must be done exactly on time.

I had a look through the following paper from 2018 that assessed the requirements for Japan to be supplied with 100% renewables by 2030:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...m_in_Japan_Smoothening_and_ancillary_services

The paper contains this statement:

"Regarding batteries themselves, it is important to note that the required capacity of batteries in even the lowest assumption (1500 GWh) would require an enormous increase in current mining and manufacturing capacity in order to fulfil by 2030."

They do see batteries having a major role but don't expect world supply to scale quickly enough to meet Japan's demand let alone the rest of the world. That's probably one of the reasons they are also looking at H2 for energy storage. There is plenty of talk in Australia about gearing up for a H2 economy to supply countries in Asia (and not all of it Green H2). However its still early days and much of the political focus is still on the smoke screen of natural gas export capacity and local demand.

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable on Japan, but what I heard was that after Fukushima they want to get off nuclear power, and their best idea for doing that is to switch to H2 power generation, potentially importing a lot of the H2 from Australia.
Importing H2 doesn't seem to me to be very practical or economical due to hydrogen's propensity to corrode and embrittle containers. Admittedly Japan has a problem due to the lack of natural resources and the poor nuclear management that allowed the Fukushima accident to happen. (Had they shut down the plant at the planned EOL, which was 35 years, rather than trying to extend the life to save a few bucks, the accident would never have taken place. Blaming nuclear in this case is similar to calling 2020 cars unsafe because cars designed in the 1950s weren't particularly safe. There are other reasons for not using nuclear, but the Fukushima accident isn't one of them.)

Given that Tesla now has M3 production from both US and China, why not have slight variations of the Model 3 like hatch-back, 2 door, convertible, longer version(China) etc. ? This would boost sales a lot I think by giving customers more choices. Also as compared to CT, Model 2(25K) etc, it would be a lot easier to achieve both by cost and design.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rohan
German minister for the Economy - Altmaier - wants to extend the "innovation premium" for EVs until 2025 (currently will expire end 2021).

He's justifying it with the need to secure the 100,000 of automotive industry jobs at risk over the next 10-15 years. While at the same time not pushing for the extension of the VAT reduction (19% -> 16%) which will expire at the end of the year.

So far the premium is extremely popular. (+76% YoY) BEV subsidy is up to €9,000 ($11K) and PHEV is up to €6.5K ($7.5K).

German only, but deepl.com is your friend:
Altmaier: "Innovationsprämie" für E-Autos bis 2025 soll Beschäftigung sichern

Looks like demand > supply in Germany for EV will continue to be strong in the coming years (if he's able to extend the premium).

Initial results from the Moderna vaccine show a 95% success rate. Hopefully no major issues will arise going forward and once the balls rolling with millions getting vaccinated things can start to go back to normal by the middle of next year.

Rest in CV thread - but I would point out from a potential investment standpoint, both vaccines with the highest reported efficacy to date (Moderna at 94.5% and Pfizer at 90%) are mRNA vaccines. This does bode well for the future of this technology (RNA vaccines).

Given that Tesla now has M3 production from both US and China, why not have slight variations of the Model 3 like hatch-back, 2 door, convertible, longer version(China) etc. ? This would boost sales a lot I think by giving customers more choices. Also as compared to CT, Model 2(25K) etc, it would be a lot easier to achieve both by cost and design.

Because that might cut into future Model 2 sales? Just a theory.

Days like today really illustrate the logic of keeping TSLA out of the S&P500 until after the "vaccine bounce".

Chevron creeping back up to a $170B valuation. Imagine where TSLA would be after: inclusion buying, short squeeze, 3Q results, rotation out of "tech", inability to manipulate as easily. We'd probably be approaching $700.

• Funny
Reactions: UCF3
Can the congress step into the breach, provide some leadership .

Why would they start now?

Judging by the # of posts here, volume is going to be low today.

FSD costs 7500 Euros (~8900$) in Germany. 1k$ cheaper than in the US, This tells me that they are looking very closely at the FSD take rate regionally and adjusting according to that. I would assume that FSD take rate in Europe is much lower than in the USA.
View attachment 608927

2000$ last increment was a very strong statement about their take rate. If they come out and announce a fleet-wide FSD release, it would improve the take rate further, and be a great booster for the financials. I am now getting ready for that uptick :).

Given the system is intentionally crippled by regulators in the EU it's not surprising both price and take rate are lower.

That'll certainly need addressing at some point- ideally Tesla eventually being a major economic contributor to the German economy would help apply some pressure there.

Reactions: Duffer