Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My observation over the last several months is that he wants VW to fire him and is becoming disillusioned that it's taking them so long. He will likely end up working for Tesla in Berlin. He's a perfect fit.
It would be an amazing way for Elon to get his Tim Cook COO. It would free him up to focus on engineering and design and more effort in SpaceX, Boring and Neuralink.

It would be an amazing way for Elon to get his Tim Cook COO. It would free him up to focus on engineering and design and more effort in SpaceX, Boring and Neuralink.
Diess being in charge of anything at Tesla would be ridiculous. How would he have any idea how to function in an environment where his fundamental job is to foster innovation? Anybody with that mindset at VW lost their jobs years ago.

Elon's admiration for Diess isn't the "I'd hire you in a heartbeat" type; it's the "I'm impressed you can function at all in that sh**show of a company. I'd die." type.

If the SP does what I expect, I'm going make a killing on the way up and down. I have a boatload of calls already that are way up and I will hold them until near Dec. 18/21. Then when the top seems near, I will buy a boatload of shoter-term puts with some of the profits from my calls. (no I would not be a bear as my core shares/LEAPS I am not touching and they will massively dwarf any puts I buy). This could end up being a 10-30 bagger both up and down!

Thanks to you my calls are already 350% up (what is it, a 4-bagger). Could go get myself a second Tesla on this small play. Please set up a Patreon account so I can sponsor your beverages of choice for a while :)

Gary did lookup the last big addition to theSP500 which was FB and he did mention that the bulk of the buying was on the last day.

Given the liquidity concerns, Dec-18 might be a bit lower compared to the FB last day %, but I think it will still be the biggest volume day of the inclusion period

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1329082599755501568
https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1329060291045371915
View attachment 613249

Thank you for this. And the price action for that 2013 event is below. It dips after the 24th, but not for long. And I bet FB didn't have that volume of short that TSLA does.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.38.39 PM.png

Tesla keeps advancing automotive technology by leveraging their existing technological lead:

upload_2020-11-30_21-17-26.png

At first glance I thought, "Ho-hum, of course, no big deal". But as I thought about the implications I realized how huge it was for Tesla.

What does it mean that the Cybertruck's air suspension will be "linked to FSD"? Potentially a lot of things, one of the more compelling things to my way of thinking is controlling body roll around corners.

With the current state of automotive technology and practical cost considerations, total suspension travel as well as the softness of the suspension for reasons of comfort is limited due to causing excessive body roll around corners. Excessive travel and/or soft, comfy suspensions cause the inside wheels to unweight which can lead to loss of control. It can also encourage motion sickness in susceptible individuals. Currently, this is addressed with a band-aid solution called an anti-roll bar. Some cars have one in the front and the rear. They add a considerable amount of weight and lose effectiveness as the rubber or polyurethane bushings wear and develop play. But a bigger disadvantage of anti-sway bars beyond their weight and cost is they limit individual wheel articulation. A side effect of this is the loaded wheels become much less compliant when impacting a bump which can cause a loss of control and can make the ride feel harsh while cornering hard.

Anti-roll bars are especially undesirable on rugged terrain and off-road (even if they are desirable on curvy gravel roads without potholes). One solution is electromechanical de-coupling devices that deactivate the roll bars with the flip of a switch. But these cost more money, require more maintenance and they fail. And, you have to turn them on/off manually and they are not infinitely adjustable.

FSD and adaptive air suspension to the rescue! Since Tesla already has the investment in FSD, it can leverage it to improve ride, handling and control while retaining fully independent wheel travel for superior performance on rugged and uneven ground. FSD knows how sharp an upcoming turn is and how fast you are going (whether or not FSD is engaged). Based on this, it can "level" the truck as the corner is entered. I suspect this will be coupled with adjustable damping to provide a superior control and ride characteristics with none of that body roll typically exhibited by high-clearance trucks. This means the truck will be superior both on smooth roads and off-road. You don't need to be off-road to experience the benefits. When people experience this first hand it will be such a fundamental driving improvement it will be a very compelling reason to chose the Cybertruck vs. any competitors truck.

While there are active suspensions systems out there (ala BMW, etc.), they are expensive and are more suitably called "reactive" suspension systems because they can't leverage the advantages FSD cameras bring to the table.

Cybertruck is going to absolutely decimate the traditional truck market. Traditionists will be a small minority, outdated curmudgeons stuck in the past. This is one more way Tesla will achieve incredible growth rates and demand beyond most peoples imagination. The value these innovations bring to consumers will ensure superior margins for years to come.

Last edited:
Hold up, is S&P that stupid or do you experts think there's a capital raise incoming? I'm going with stupid, for now.
Ideally, Tesla announces 2:1 share dividend before the Market opens on Fri, Dec 11th (short that, boi). Effective date for the share distribution as of Dec 21st.

Cap raise announced before Market opens on Mon, Dec 14 for let's say, $50B (enough for all Tesla's planned Bty CapEx). Share offering closes on Fri, Dec 18 and share distribution by of Dec 24th (just in time for Index funds).

Sink da shorts. Fund da company. Fry da mind. o_O

Cheers!

Once again, I fired up the Way, Way, Wayback Machine:

On April 27, 2014, Standard & Poor's gave Tesla's credit an unsolicited junk bond rating of B-, or "highly speculative", with its analysts' comments including the categorization of Tesla as a "niche" automaker, and cast a shadow on the company's long-term prospects. Not uncoincidentally, but I found in my files a note that at that time, TSLA's market cap was $17.8 billion (has it risen since then, anyone?).

Here is a post from that day, including some wording from S&P that jarred me then, as it should all now:

The S&P announcement truly is astonishing on many fronts. The snippet "unable to adapt to technological changes" so spectacularly and appropriately applies to all those who are not Tesla that one wonders why on earth S&P ever would consider making this close-to-unprecedented unsolicited assessment. So much so, that the disinterested observer can very understandably be forgiven for thinking "Conspiracy?".

Overall, I believe today's release will redound far more significantly - and negatively - to Standard & Poors than it will to Tesla Motors Corp.

Summary: Oh man, have I been waiting a long, Long, LONG time for this month. That dish that's best served cold - learn it, if you don't know that already.

Tesla keeps advancing automotive technology by leveraging their existing technological lead:

View attachment 613358

At first glance I though, "Ho-hum, of course, no big deal". But as I thought about the implications I realized how huge it was for Tesla.

What does it mean that the Cybertruck's air suspension will be "linked to FSD"? Potentially a lot of things, one of the more compelling things to my way of thinking is controlling body roll around corners.

With the current state of automotive technology and practical cost considerations, total suspension travel as well as the softness of the suspension for reasons of comfort is limited due to causing excessive body roll around corners. This causes the inside wheels to unweight which can lead to loss of control. It can also encourage motion sickness in susceptible individuals. Currently, this is addressed with a band-aid solution called an anti-roll bar. Some cars have one in the front and the rear. They add a considerable amount of weight and lose effectiveness as the rubber or polyurethane bushings wear and develop play. But a bigger disadvantage of anti-sway bars beyond their weight and cost is they limit individual wheel articulation. A side effect of this is the loaded wheels become much less compliant when impacting a bump which can cause a loss of control and can make the ride feel harsh while cornering hard.

FSD and adaptive air suspension to the rescue! Since Tesla already has the investment in FSD, it can leverage it to improve ride, handling and control while retaining fully independent wheel travel for superior performance on rugged and uneven ground. FSD knows how sharp an upcoming turn is and how fast you are going (whether or not FSD is engaged). Based on this, it can "level" the truck as the corner is entered. I suspect this will be coupled with adjustable damping to provide a superior control and ride characteristics with none of that body roll typically exhibited by high-clearance trucks. When people experience this first hand it will be such a fundamental driving improvement it will be a very compelling reason to chose the Cybertruck vs. any competitors truck.

While there are active suspensions systems out there (ala BMW, etc.), they are expensive and are more suitably called "reactive" suspension systems because they can't leverage the advantages FSD cameras bring to the table.

Cybertruck is going to absolutely decimate the traditional truck market. Traditionists will be a small minority, outdated curmudgeons stuck in the past. This is one more way Tesla will achieve incredible growth rates and demand beyond most peoples imagination. The value it brings to consumers will ensure superior margins for years to come.
Isn't this at least as significant for track mode for all Tesla vehicles? Or can't the air suspension react quickly enough?

Once again, I fired up the Way, Way, Wayback Machine:

On April 27, 2014, Standard & Poor's gave Tesla's credit an unsolicited junk bond rating of B-, or "highly speculative", with its analysts' comments including the categorization of Tesla as a "niche" automaker, and cast a shadow on the company's long-term prospects. Not uncoincidentally, but I found in my files a note that at that time, TSLA's market cap was $17.8 billion (has it risen since then, anyone?).

Here is my post from that day, including some wording from S&P that jarred me then, as it should all now:

Summary: Oh man, have I been waiting a long, Long, LONG time for this month. That dish that's best served cold - learn it, if you don't know that already.

Speaking of which: When do you think we will see the next credit rating increase for Tesla?

Your entire post is great, but this sentence is most profound. It explains why the gap between Tesla and competitor OEMs continues to widen and will continue to do so for many years.

Other OEMs cannot even conceive of doing some of the things Tesla does now.

I must have missed the 1%, probably because you didn't say that. You said a very tiny %. People (including me) do all sorts of crazy ass things with tiny percentages of their portfolios, especially if they're up and believe they're playing with house money. It's when fools see them making a ton of money (you know, up 40x one out of 40 times, but that's the time they talk about) and try to copy them that things go very bad.

I make wild bets with small amounts too, and of course I lose a lot and win occasionally. Whee! It's meaningless unless you can do it often with significant amounts of money. I do it because it's entertaining.
You’re right - I wrote “a very small %”. I had originally written 1% and changed it because I didn’t actually calculate it. Not sure why you seem upset, but I write about these trades both times (Jan and 2 weeks ago) before they happened on here. I felt/feel a very strong conviction and wanted to share. These were actually significant amounts of money both times in relative terms. I’m not going to say the actual $ amount.

I have lost and gained money many other times but those were most just play amounts and I would never post about them on here before or after. I only post if I feel very strong about a move (hence why I have only done it twice).

Speaking of which: When do you think we will see the next credit rating increase for Tesla?

S&P probably won't increase the credit rating until after inclusion is complete. ;)

Now that you mention it, that was probably one of the catalysts for S&P realizing they should include TSLA in the Index (before they raised their rating). So I expect an increase not too long after the dust settles from inclusion. After the Q4 financials are released near the end of January at the latest.

...If your goal, as the benchmarkers goal is, is to BEAT the returns of the S&P 500, you'd already own a bunch of Tesla and would have for a while now....

Well, you would if you'd been studying TMC and ignoring all the analysts and bond raters and media who claimed Tesla is overvalued, moatless, structurally unprofitable, broken growth story, etc. etc. Do you have evidence that many benchmarkers did that?

As I wrote before, Goldman Sachs claims they surveyed large-cap funds with half a trillion in assets and found 83% of them don't own TSLA. (But again, I trust GS as much as I trust the scorpion who hitched a ride on the frog.)

Last edited:
Well, you would if you'd been studying TMC and ignoring all the analysts and bond raters and media who claimed Tesla is overvalued, moatless, structurally unprofitable, broken growth story, etc. etc. Do you have evidence that many benchmarkers did that?

As I wrote before, Goldman Sachs claims they surveyed large-cap funds with half a trillion in assets and found 83% of them don't own TSLA. (But again, I trust GS as much as I trust the scorpion who hitched a ride on the frog.)

“But why did you sting me? Now we will both drown!”
“It’s in my nature.”

Yep, that’s the best description of Goldman Sachs I’ve ever read.

You’re right - I wrote “a very small %”. I had originally written 1% and changed it because I didn’t actually calculate it. Not sure why you seem upset, but I write about these trades both times (Jan and 2 weeks ago) before they happened on here. I felt/feel a very strong conviction and wanted to share. These were actually significant amounts of money both times in relative terms. I’m not going to say the actual $ amount.

I have lost and gained money many other times but those were most just play amounts and I would never post about them on here before or after. I only post if I feel very strong about a move (hence why I have only done it twice).
Sorry, wasn't really you or this particular trade. But your original "If the SP does what I expect, I'm going make a killing on the way up and down." was just asking for a smackdown. Anybody can make arbitrary amounts of money if "the SP does what I expect". And if you're putting only a small percentage of your money on that bet then you don't really have much confidence in what you claim to expect.

I'm getting more than a little tired of all these posts about people's short-term gut guesses that don't mean a thing. I think it's pretty disrespectful of people like @FrankSG who put serious amounts of work into their reasoning and share it with everybody.

So tell me, is what you expect based on anything? How does it mesh with what @FrankSG has posted? Do you think the SP is going down after inclusion based on any particular analysis? Me, I think we're seeing a shortage of supply and an excess of demand, leaving a permanently smaller supply, so I think the stock price is going up and staying up. Yes, it will likely overshoot and drop back some, but not all that much. And the Q4 production and delivery report will come out not much after, and it will be scary awesome, so I can't see TSLA staying down much for very long. But what do I know?