Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original plan was to make enough to double my pension from age 60 or so. Since I knew nothing back then (18 months ago) I had this vague idea that when I reached a certain amount (again, thought that would be in 2028) I should diversify everything into something that gave me 10% a year with low risk and that would be that.

Of course thanks to reading every single post in this thread since then I now know better.

Well, if you ever find that low risk 10%/year investment, let us know what it is! I would put everything that's not in tangible assets or high-growth stocks into that! Because the compound return over the years would shock most people with just how good it was!

F665A3FE-8E92-447C-B2B9-7ECDE8EF6BF2.jpeg

Well, if you ever find that low risk 10%/year investment, let us know what it is! I would put everything that's not in tangible assets or high-growth stocks into that! Because the compound return over the years would shock most people with just how good it was!
I'm just making up numbers. I've never owned another stock than Tesla. What do I know? I do seem to recall that the stock market has returned 7% average for a lot of years now though. The difference to 10% compounded becomes quite a lot of course.

I'm not sure I'm up for this compounding over a long time though. My much better plan is to do two years of compounding. 1200% this year and 1200% next year. If my math is correct that would be the same as 52 years of 10% compounding.

I'll let ya all know how that worked in a year.

You pick the winner and position and your advisor gets paid a percentage of your gain? There is something very wrong about this. I can't figure out why anyone would have an advisor and any buy or sell order of any amount costing more than $9 is too much.

Agree, adivsors are to be used to manage your boring income portfolio with bonds and dividend paying corps... And balance them for you.

Agree, adivsors are to be used to manage your boring income portfolio with bonds and dividend paying corps... And balance them for you.

If you are going to pay someone to do that for you, and you have more than a small amount to manage, it makes more sense to hire someone who charges by the hour instead of taking a percentage. There's really not much work involved and it prevents any potential conflicts of interest. Plus, the most competent managers tend to work by the hour.

Nailed what?

The upper BB is a technical indicator that always has a specific value at a specific time. In other words, it's not a prediction, it's a fact. It would be real easy to make a lot of money if one knew the share price would always end within a sliver of that days opening upper BB. But it doesn't.

Hypothetically, if a technical trader set his limit sell at the Upper BB at 9:30AM then left for the day, and similarly, if someone wrote an algo that will only short once the opening Upper BB is reached, then even though UBB does not predict the future, it could directly influence the outcome.

Since I don't trade that way and have no knowledge of algo, so I doubt that I guess correctly how we ended up today with high of the day within cents of the opening Upper BB, unless any technical trader has a good explanation.

Interactive Brokers chairman on handling record volume and volatility

Here is the short version of the interview on YouTube.

At 2:30 time, tl;dr
Q: How do you feel about Robinhood and the rise of the retail traders?
A: Starting last week, IB clients are on the selling side of OTM options while carrying long position in stocks in ratio of 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 against the stock, and usually about Tesla, Amazon or Apple. Meanwhile RBH clients are long these OTM options. Hence, as of yesterday, our customers are net short the market for the first time in the company's history.