Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please be very, very careful with options. The last year has NOT been a portent of the near future. No matter what many people think here, among RobinHood speculators or elsewhere. Markets rise and fall. TSLA rises and falls. Tesla prospects are indeed stellar. That does NOT translate into endless rises nor is it even remotely possible to repeat 2020 options gains among many of us.

The market makers win. Customers, in the long term. Lose. Nobel Prize winners go bankrupt.

My strong advice to anybody who began trading options successfully in 2020is:
Congratulations! Quit now while you have profits.

Well I can't just yet as I firstly need to make it to next year (for tax purposes), then ideally would like the SP at $1000 to initiate the chain-reaction to exercise my 20x June 2022 $250's... But will see how it pans-out...

Plus I will continue selling covered calls as it strikes me as way better than selling shares.

Other than that, I agree :D

08:00 a.m. Whistle: Thu, Dec 31, 2020

TSLA share price: $704.01 +$9.23 +1.33%

Volume: 598,684 shares (Brisk)

Max Pain (07:00 ET): $650 (+$10 from Wed)

TSLA.2020-12-31.08-00.png

Comment: "7 A.M. Cowboys come out to play in two waves; shortzes try walk-downs"

Cheers!

Mr. Hiro Mizuno of Japan - Special Envoy on Innovative Finance and Sustainable Investments

Mr. Hiro Mizuno of Japan - Special Envoy on Innovative Finance and Sustainable Investments
un.org

The Special Envoy will support the Secretary-General’s advocacy and engagement in global public-private dialogue to encourage action in new and unprecedented ways to shift public and private investments toward the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.

Let’s wait to see if we open above $700 before celebrating, still two hours to go in premarket. See what happens to the wall of 700 strike options that so many have talked about here. In any case, it will be an exciting last day of the year for TSLA holders.
"Before celebrating" haha :). I feel like we've been celebrating all year. I mean, how many times can one's wildest fantasies come true in one year?

2020 has been an extraordinarily awesome year, and I think 2021 is probably going to be somewhat similar, at least in Teslaland.

Can someone explain what his point is? So a lot of people traded options expiring the last day of the year. Unsurprising to me. Am I missing something
I think the point is that some party(ies) with a lot of cash wants to buy a lot of Tesla shares at a known-in-advance price. Probably funds benchmarked to the S&P. If TSLA closes above $700, which I think is likely, on Monday there will be 20M shares no longer where they were, and many needing to be replaced. There are more of those funds who still need to buy TSLA today, for window dressing (so that they can say they held TSLA stock in their quarterly report) or to try to match the performance, so positive pressure on the stock today and Monday.

Great interview. For me, the most important quote was this one, because the full impact of FSD semis not to be priced into many of the stock price predictions yet:

“Musk: I'm extremely confident that Tesla will have level five next year, extremely confident, 100%.‘

‘That transcript left out the best response. When the interviewer asked Elon if he was sleeping in the factory alone, Elon quipped “What, is that an offer?”

I think the point is that some party(ies) with a lot of cash wants to buy a lot of Tesla shares at a known-in-advance price. Probably funds benchmarked to the S&P. If TSLA closes above $700, which I think is likely, on Monday there will be 20M shares no longer where they were, and many needing to be replaced. There are more of those funds who still need to buy TSLA today, for window dressing (so that they can say they held TSLA stock in their quarterly report) or to try to match the performance, so positive pressure on the stock today and Monday.
I would have thought most of the $700 call would be sold today, and for those that exercise, many/most would sell to let the shares go back into the market.

I have a little new year's confession to make ... I'm about to become a seller.

I'm about to convert some of my "virtual gains" to hard concrete walls of a new apartment that will be mine and fully paid, no renting, no borrowing.
I can wait up to two months for TSLA to rise even higher so I'll need to sell smaller part of the pile.

My primary goal is to remain eligible for teslanaire club membership even after sinning against the Church of Hodl.
Sin boldly, as Luther would say. I sell a few shares anytime I like. What's the point of investing if you never get to enjoy the fruits of your investments? So enjoy your new apartment! Enjoy being debt free! Enjoy being a Teslanaire.

Last edited:
My best year trading in my life time. Just flipped another leading digit in the account this morning. Thank you all for the charts and analysis.
@ibcs, always nice to have comments from early Tesla investors. Congratulations. You recognized Tesla's potential for what it was back then, and for that you are rewarded. Late 2012 a very good friend of mine told me about Tesla. It was immediately a eureka moment for me,, and began reading whatever I could find on Tesla, Elon and Nikola Tesla, discovering TMC October 2012. I thought it was beyond obvious that Tesla would succeed. Yet still, the vast majority of people still don't get Tesla. And that friend of mine, whom we still remain close, only bought in Tesla at $695, and only due to the fact Tesla is now on the S&P and he has some S&P Index funds.

It’s not that Elon believes LIDAR approaches will fail from a technical standpoint.

He believes that LIDAR is unnecessary, causing hardware and system maintenance costs to be more expensive and therefore failing from a business perspective.

If Tesla is indeed considering licensing FSD to other automakers, those automakers would likely get it bundled with hardware (cameras/radar, as well as Tesla’s FSD computer). All of that adds another dimension of valuation that very few if any analysts are factoring into their share price targets.

upload_2020-12-31_14-8-12.png

The investment world woke up to Tesla in 2020. I've added a simple straight line to the actual share price graph to illustrate what it might have looked like had this appreciation of the company occurred earlier. And here's the thing. During those intervening years, most people on this board, aware of the disconnect between price and value, were busy hoovering up shares on the cheap. Aren't we glad we did.