Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He has Schwab as stated above, but that doesnt matter. It doesn't have to drop to the price of the put to get a margin call if he was towing that line. If it would've dropped to say 725/share the IV would've increased enough to force an action. But that wasn't the point of my post, the point was he tied up all that capital/margin for almost nothing. He could've bought 20 shares on margin which would only tie up ~8k and have the exact same gain at this point.
Thats very true, but they are 2 different kinds of trade. Directional vs non directional. What would be your reason to take the former vs the latter, aside from risk management?

You got a disagree from me because you tied up 325k in margin and risked 650k(very unlikely) to make 2k. If my analogy for those selling calls during the inclusion event was "dont pick up pennies in front of a steam roller," the analogy here is "dont pick up pennies behind a steam roller that is going up hill"
Would you be equally dismissive of someone who has a GTC buy order for 1000 shares at $650?

Someone today stated that they changed this part. It is far simpler (and cleaner) than a timing belt/chain. You just gotta know a little bit of info.

It is easier than a timing belt . . . but there are some serious caveats to it.

1) you MUST have someone program the new part for you. Otherwise, the MCU is still a brick. The data on the partition that goes bad can be recovered under some circumstances (mine), which means the person providing you a new Tegra daughterboard can just copy things over and it is a true part replacement. If the partition has degraded, however, the work is far more involved.
2) you MUST remove about 1/2 of the dash to get the MCU out, and then you must take the MCU apart to get to the daughterboard. This is NOT a repair for novices, not by any stretch.

Would you be equally dismissive of someone who has a GTC buy order for 1000 shares at $650?
@Tyler34, I'm not sure how to interpret your disagree with my question. I recently sold 500 shares in my wife's IRA @ 872. Now I have a GTC order to buy 500 @ 705 (the horrors - an even riskier higher price!). That account doesn't allow options but if it did I would be selling weekly puts instead until it hit. What's wrong with that?

Reactions: Tslynk67
@Tyler34, I'm not sure how to interpret your disagree with my question. I recently sold 500 shares in my wife's IRA @ 872. Now I have a GTC order to buy 500 @ 705 (the horrors - an even riskier higher price!). That account doesn't allow options but if it did I would be selling weekly puts instead until it hit. What's wrong with that?
There is a difference between selling cash covered puts with the intent to buy the shares and selling margin puts to "get risk free cash."

Edit: and to imply that I think buying shares at 705 is risky is way off base of what I said.

Reactions: Tim S
All of you with your options, calls, and puts talk, it always gives me headaches and it seems so complicated and dicey. I guess I'm just a simple investor, I buy shares in companies I am confident in and hold them for the very long term and they go up.

Whenever I think I want to dabble in options I only need to read this thread for a bit to be reminded why I don't bother with that stuff. :cool:

There is a difference between selling cash covered puts with the intent to buy the shares and selling margin puts to "get risk free cash."

Edit: and to imply that I think buying shares at 705 is risky is way off base of what I said.
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize @Runarbt said they were naked in his post. I need to skim less, but then it's impossible to keep up.

• Helpful
Reactions: kelly and Tim S
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize @Runarbt said they were naked in his post. I need to skim less, but then it's impossible to keep up.
It's all good. I got defensive too soon. In my mind it truly is apples and oranges. My original response was mainly about being capitol efficient with margin, and wasn't meant to imply that I see any risk of TSLA black swanning.