Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then again, you have BMW planning to build 5'000 MINI EVs per annum at elevated prices. It could be the perfect metro runabout with some panache. Small wonder Porsche isn't proposing bespoke versions of the Taycan with individually hand-sewn Alcantara battery cells.
OT @Sean Wagner
the BMW Mini EV was a _blast_ to test drive _many_ years ago at the "Power of DC" faire, (2013?) but BMW took them back, gave 33+ to University of Delaware to fiddle with and experiment on "Vehicle 2 Grid"

"....from the University of Delaware. arrived in a UDel AC Propulsion EV, a converted 5-door based on a Scion. Brandon’s project will suggest policies for DNREC (Delaware Natural Resources and Environmental Control). .. (they got ~33 BMW mini's)

...V2G- “Vehicle to Grid” power and billing. ...the University of Delaware is running longer-term programs on frequency regulation of the grid using parked EVs. ..to keep the AC frequency at 60 Hertz... fleet includes cars parked on campus, as well as participants at home.

Ony two small circuit boards, and light programming, were needed for V2G. The standard J1772 connector was already capable...."

Be sure to check PlugShare.com as well. They list a lot of hotels with EVSEs. Even though those EVSEs are slower because you're staying overnight the speed doesn't matter, you will still have a full charge in the morning. Also many, but not all, of the hotels shown at tesla.com are priced for royalty.
I don't want to get sucked into another OT, but plugshare illustrates the problem. There are a lot around Indianapolis -- but they appear to be almost all parking garages. But after eliminating those I cannot use (that is, I do not have an adapter for) that leaves a much smaller number which yields only slightly more than Tesla's map and none that are useful (still no hotels).

My point is this: for all those saying that anyone hitting a supercharger instead of a destination charger -- not everyone has that option. It depends on the route. Maybe this is another midwestern thing, but in the end it doesn't matter. My point is a specific example that is relevant to a trip I'm planning where there are no useful destination chargers. I had already specifically searched for destination chargers (including plugshare). There just aren't any that I can use within a reasonable radius of a planned overnight at a reasonable size city (Indianapolis is not NYC, or LA, but it isn't a small midwestern town).

Consequently, there are real reasons why some people hit superchargers instead of destination chargers. I can understand anyone who "spends the night and drives 30 miles to a supercharger."

Hotels with a destination charger are a nice plus, but seldom if ever a necessity. Unless you are in a very remote location there is always a Supercharger within about 100 miles or so. Also, the destination chargers tend to be at more exclusive hotels and tend to be pretty pricey. I have found that the money spent to stay there is rarely worth the convenience. Just my opinion though of course.

Dan
No argument from me. I was responding to those saying "why show up at a supercharger after a night at a hotel, just use a destination charger."

But the share price languishes instead of soaring. And all because Tesla/Elon handled the current set of 'negative' news so badly
No, you've got that backwards. Elon is executing on the plan, and all the naysayers 'concerns' have been shown to be false.

So Wall St, having placed large bets against TSLA, is now pannicking and deploying huge financial and FUD resources in a vain attempt to bring down Tesla (you're a victum of the FUD; stop reading it).

None of that matters. Tesla doesn't need Wall St money anymore. That's why their final play to to try and take down Elon personally. Again, vain and futile effort. He doesn't respect them, and neither should you. Wall St doesn't care about you, why should you care about them?

Cheers!

I don't want to get sucked into another OT, but plugshare illustrates the problem. There are a lot around Indianapolis -- but they appear to be almost all parking garages. But after eliminating those I cannot use (that is, I do not have an adapter for) that leaves a much smaller number which yields only slightly more than Tesla's map and none that are useful (still no hotels).
Yes, it certainly depends upon location. However, I was able to find places to charge on trips long before there were SCs close than 1500 miles. It never stopped us from traveling--just had to plan a bit better.

Photo, or it didn't happen!

m3.jpg

Proof that it did happen!

Thanks to everyone here in the TMC community, this really helped make the wait seem less long than the almost 3 years it took.

There's no more boats scheduled to arrive in SFO according to this spreadsheet I believe: Tesla Carriers

I'd prefer a steady state pace rather than window dressing all the time but that's just me.

edit: unless those delivery times for new orders being March is literally true in which case it is fine to taper off of course.

Must be because they are switching to US/CAN deliveries now
March is all US. Q2 might also be all/mostly US due to another round of expiring tax credits and introduction of SR.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
In some ways I understand it because Elon said we would be profitable for all quarters going forward, and then a month later Q1 was "probably going to be a small loss".
You're repeating FUD. Elon never said the item you "quote" about Q1 . In fact, he guided a tiny profit for Q1. It's the FINALCIAL PRESS you are quoting. Please amend your comment.

Futher, Elon's complete statement about future profitability was that all quarters would be profitable going forward except in the case of a few with one time write-offs. Again, you're miming the FINANCIAL PRESS which has corrupted your memory.

Please read what Elon actually said. What the Press wrote only reveals their bias and motivations.

Last edited:
Futher, Elon's complete statement about future profitability was that all quarters would be profitable going forward except in the case of a few with large debt repayments.
Almost correct. It was except for one time write-offs. Debt repayment is a balance sheet item (Using assets to reduce liabilities), it never affects the income statement (revenue less expenses). It does affect cash flow, but Tesla has no problem with cash flow.

Looking like it might be a red macro day.

Yeah, today is NFP (Non-Farm Payroll) day, which just got released a couple of minutes ago and it printed a big negative surprise, showing a big drop to just 20k vs. expected 180k.

Short of Fed releases this is one of the biggest U.S. economic events every month.

I think this should finally keep the Fed from doing any new interest rate rises in 2019 - but it's unclear how fast the market is going to realize this. Could be a volatile day as "No Fed!!!" positivism and "Recession???" pessimism is battling it out.

In fact, he guided a tiny profit for Q1.

That got updated a couple of days ago on that non-public conference call with the press, which got then published:

Elon Musk: "Given that there is just a lot happening in Q1. And we're taking a lot of sorto ofa lot of onetime charges and there's a lot of challenges getting cars to China and and Europe. Wed do not expect to be profitable in Q1. But we do think that profitability in Q2 is likely."

Last edited:
that makes zero sense.

1) the cheaper variants were planned from DAY 1. In fact, they're kind of LATE. So how is it somehow bad or unexpected? This was always the plan!

2) the price cuts on the existing fleet are obviously because a refresh is imminent and they need to get rid of stock and lower the price of the existing configs to make room for the new configs at the top of the price range.

feeling skittish because of store closings ... that i get. but the other stuff is 1000000% nonsense.
Yes, I think so too.

Yeah, today is NFP (Non-Farm Payroll) day, which just got released a couple of minutes ago and it printed a big negative surprise, showing a big drop to just 20k vs. expected 180k.

Short of Fed releases this is one of the biggest U.S. economic events every month.

I think this should finally keep the Fed from doing any new interest rate rises in 2019 - but it's unclear how fast the market is going to realize this. Could be a volatile day as "No Fed!!!" positivism and "Recession???" pessimism is battling it out.

Will be interesting to see if forced covering by shorts due to a broader downturn keeps TSLA afloat if the indexes do end up tanking.

Reactions: bdy0627