Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fact, let this be my personal "Tip your cashier": those of us who've made a killing in TSLA ought to give back by frequently replacing our Tesla cars and pass down our old ones. Perhaps to your cashier, even!
Honest, i did it, buying an M3 to say thank you for the lots of bucks, even if i wasn't convinced.
But don't ask me to refresh the experience. :rolleyes:

Reactions: UncaNed
Are Model X's being refreshed? Critical investing info keeping me awake... Therefore then, in the name of research, I just did this...
View attachment 629935

Performance model this time. Planning to hand down my 3-year old X to the less fortunate for a very reasonable price.

In fact, let this be my personal "Tip your cashier": those of us who've made a killing in TSLA ought to give back by frequently replacing our Tesla cars and pass down our old ones. Perhaps to your cashier, even!

I have no intention of upgrading my existing XP100DL, hell I just shelled-out to get the MCU upgrade etc., I have lifetime SuC and FSD linked to it - a lot to "lose" if I were to change.

However, if Tesla come with a substantial upgrade, all bets are off, and I suspect this would hold true for a lot of people.

Aside the obvious efficiency and range gains, I'm looking for a dramatic interior redesign as the current is well past its sell-by date. Hopefully they improve the quality of the materials at the same time, because they've always been rather poor - not meaning "luxury", just more substantial more than anything else.

A custom Tesla Model S Cabriolet

cabriolet.jpeg

By Ares Design in Modena, Italy.

Thought this would be useful for those of you wanting something to drive around in on your private islands. And a fun weekend read for the rest of us.

More pics and info in this Norwegian article: Skreddersøm fra Modena

Or a googly translation to English: Google Translate

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/15/climate/electric-car-cost.html

Electric Cars Are Better for the Planet – and Often Your Budget, Too

Electric vehicles are better for the climate than gas-powered cars, but many Americans are still reluctant to buy them. One reason: The larger upfront cost.

New data published Thursday shows that despite the higher sticker price, electric cars may actually save drivers money in the long-run.

data dashboard here
Carboncounter.com | Cars evaluated against climate targets

Comment:

Even though this is a positive article I think they are still underestimating ongoing ICE maintenance costs vs owning an EV.

I have no intention of upgrading my existing XP100DL, hell I just shelled-out to get the MCU upgrade etc., I have lifetime SuC and FSD linked to it - a lot to "lose" if I were to change.

However, if Tesla come with a substantial upgrade, all bets are off, and I suspect this would hold true for a lot of people.

Aside the obvious efficiency and range gains, I'm looking for a dramatic interior redesign as the current is well past its sell-by date. Hopefully they improve the quality of the materials at the same time, because they've always been rather poor - not meaning "luxury", just more substantial more than anything else.
That's me ( well with a S100D)...I have FSD Free unlimited Super charging...just paid for the MCU2 upgrade. Car is perfect for me.
Now if they offer a super compelling upgrade...(which is what Tesla seems to do!)....hmm... I would run to it like a dog to a food bowl.

I did some length estimates of the "undercover" car vs the Model Y BiW based on recent drone videos (h/t @gabeincal).

As we see in the composite image below, the "undercover" car spotted by drone this week is estimated to be approx. 14% longer than a Model Y:

BiW comparison Model Y 2021-01-18.vs.Uncover 2021-01-22.jpg

Note: Accuracy of lengths estimated to be within +/-1%, or 50mm.

Specs:
  • Model Y length is 4,750 mm
  • current Model S is 4,970 mm
  • Model S is 220mm (14% longer) than the Model Y.
Inference:
  • Analysis of drone images shows "Undercover" car is ~15% longer than Model Y
  • This is a good match for the length of the Model S (within accuracy of est'd)
  • The "Undercover" car is NOT a Model Y, and may be the new Model S
Cheers!

Last edited:
I did some length estimates of the "undercover" car vs the Model Y BiW based on recent drone videos (h/t @gabeincal).

As we see in the composite image below, the "undercover" car spotted by drone this week is estimated to be approx. 14% longer than a Model Y:

Specs:
Inference:
Cheers!

Dude!

And to think of all the years I wasted on the Corvette Forum.

"“Perfect gaps and spectacular paint job. I was very impressed. That car was as good as anything you could find out of Europe” —Sandy Munro Tesla keeps impressing, @elonmusk $TSLA
Well that's strange, we were told that Sandy is intent on bashing Tesla because he sold all his shares...must have bought back in, until he finds something he doesn't like, then I guess he sold again. Hard to keep track.

ALEX on Twitter:

"“Perfect gaps and spectacular paint job. I was very impressed. That car was as good as anything you could find out of Europe” —Sandy Munro Tesla keeps impressing, @elonmusk $TSLA​

Twitter (video at link)
How come that in the first video Sandy was upset for the gap of a door repeating countinously that you can't burn such a great project for such a stupid thing?

And as owner of a 2021 i'll rather not talk on the topic in front to such an apology, time wasted.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
There's been very litte speculation about the purpose of the of the new steel-frame building currently under construction on the immediate North end of the Model Y assembly building. So let's speculate. ;)

I suggest that Tesla already has all the major component making facilities in place (Model Y deliveries have already begun across China so we know they're building cars). What they don't have yet is a novel, high-speed, efficient, and low-cost method of loading their production onto car carriers before being trucked to delivery centers.

I speculate that the new building in question is a high-tech car-park of sorts, but with the ability to sort and deliver 6-8 car batches of vehicles suitable for loading onto transports, as follows:
  • Tesla produces 3 variants of Model Y, with 2 interiors, and 5 body colors
  • speculating that "Performance" Y is only available with white interior (advice?)
  • that implies 25 combinations of options for Model Y, or 25 separate 'bins'
  • a car sorting/delivery structure would need at least 25 lines fed by the factory
Do we see any of this in steel? Let's look at 2:59 Jason Yang's Jan 21, 201 video:
  • Building is of exceptionally sturdy construction (lot's of steel)
  • it appears there might be truck bays on the North side (closest to camera)
  • there are 12.5 of those 'bay' looking openings (one 'bay' is half-width)
  • if each bay is backed by 2 lines of sorted cars, that's 25 lines
  • bay width appears to support this (compare to mobile cranes for scale)
snapshot.New Phase 2 building.GF3.2021-01-21.1440p.detail.rotated.jpg

Of course (and I repeat), all this is speculation. So far:
  • no evidence yet of any elevator structures as required to move 2 ton vehicles from top floor to bottom (possible at top-right of image is an external structure)
  • throughput would have to be very quick:
    • appears to be length to buffer ~32 cars in each bin, or 800 total
    • that's about 1 day's worth of production @ 275K units/year
  • not obvious yet how batch sorting for 6-8 cars per trailer would work, although construction continues on the North side.
Not saying this will happen; am saying this this the kind of 'out-of-the-box' solution I've learned to expect from Tesla engineering.

Cheers!

View attachment 629977

Specs:
Inference:
Cheers!
I feel a tesmanian article coming.

There's been very litte speculation about the purpose of the of the new steel-frame building currently under construction on the immediate North end of the Model Y assembly building. So let's speculate. ;)

I suggest that Tesla already has all the major component making facilities in place (Model Y deliveries have already begun across China so we know they're building cars). What they don't have yet is a novel, high-speed, efficient, and low-cost method of loading their production onto car carriers before being trucked to delivery centers.

I speculate that the new building in question is a high-tech car-park of sorts, but with the ability to sort and deliver 6-8 car batches of vehicles suitable for loading onto transports, as follows:
  • speculating that "Performance" Y is only available with white interior (advice?)
  • a car sorting/delivery structure would need at least 25 lines fed by the factory
Do we see any of this in steel? Let's look at 2:59 Jason Yang's Jan 21, 201 video:
View attachment 629980

• no evidence yet of any elevator structures as required to move 2 ton vehicles from top floor to bottom (possible at top-right of image is an external structure)
  • not obvious yet how batch sorting for 6-8 cars per trailer would work, although construction continues on the North side.
Not saying this will happen; am saying this this the kind of 'out-of-the-box' solution I've learned to expect from Tesla engineering.

Cheers!
Not sure they should invest too much in that, in a few years they will just let the car out the door and it will find it’s way to the customer by itself, right? One of the reasons to have a factory on each continent...

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

View attachment 629980

Cheers!
I don't get it. Don't they sort the cars by where they are driven to be delivered? Not what color they have?

There's been very litte speculation about the purpose of the of the new steel-frame building [...]
I speculate that the new building in question is a high-tech car-park of sorts, but with the ability to sort and deliver 6-8 car batches of vehicles suitable for loading onto transports,!

Is that really more efficient than FSD to the end customer ? Is the beta only testing in the US at this point ?

I don't get it. Don't they sort the cars by where they are driven to be delivered? Not what color they have?

Yes, that's why they need an intermediate step, currently done for the MiC Model 3 in the large paved marshalling yard.

The cars are parked and lined up in order for each assigned truck. The mix must be assigned by Tesla's ordering and dispatch software. Works, but with these drawbacks:
  • labor intensive
  • large amount of land required
  • slow / delayed shipping
An automated delivery building (think 'Carvana' or a Japanese robo-garage) solves these problems through:
  • automation
  • vertical component reduces land req'd
  • much faster / more reliable logistics
Not sure they should invest too much in that, in a few years they will just let the car out the door and it will find it’s way to the customer by itself, right? One of the reasons to have a factory on each continent...

I agree, and have been advocting for some time that Tesla should add a section to their FSD team that focuses soley on the task of loading Tesla cars onto car carrier ships at Fremont, and unloading them in Zeebrugge.

Even something short and simple like the car self-driving onto the truck trailer, then unloading on command is low hanging fruit.

But Tesla needs to build a deliver system that can scale to 40x their current volume. That justifies some 'first principles' effort.

But it's unlikely, at least under U.S. Consumer law, that Telsa cars will ever drive themselves unattended to meet their new owners. That entrains a lot of product liablility and damage claims risk. The current 'touchless' delivery is likely the closest we'll see.

Cheers!

Last edited: