Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No V, I'm predicting a breakout today, let's say 920. Happy to be low balling it ;)
Yep, missed the V in the chart, was too zoomed in it seems and the volume today is low, but wow, the MMs are so good at holding down stonk on days like today. Color me impressed. Tomorrow is going to be fun!

Reactions: capster
In your estimation, would a manufacturing technique lead to an increased rate of cars being totaled from accidents, including more minor accidents?

It seems to me like it would - fewer parts that can be removed and replaced, but maybe it would need a frame bending accident either way, so not as big of a difference as I think.
A friend spent his career designing and building dies for casting products.He's retired and is obviously out of date. Nonetheless, he's my best source on this sort of issue. he claims that cast metal parts, regardless of size or application, are easier to repair than are equivalent parts built up from component pieces. He worked with pretty complex aerospace castings that replaced previous assemblies, so I'm inclined to think he knows.

Other people who know more may have better opinions. Without question the Tesla pieces will be exotic metals, with differential character at different points in the casting. Above all they will be the largest such castings ever made. For that matter the ones they're making now for Model Y are probably the largest and maybe most complex ones ever made.

Frankly, I suspect they've already planned for easy reparability. OTOH, I am not in any way an expert. I hope we have someone here who is. There are many, many questions.

"LIVE: Tesla Q4 Earnings Preview / Estimates" | Tesla Daily on Youtube

Scheduled for 1/26/21, 1:05 PM EST (22 min from this post)

Cheers!
Truly grateful to Rob!
Screenshot_20210126-125035.png

I do wonder how valid this "shareholder action" suit is... Given that JB is on the board and he is not only a skeptic of new claims, but has the engineering chops to be able to assess viability himself, it would seem odd for him to be associated with something that was scammy...

Disclaimer: I'm not a shareholder and don't think QS is a particularly good investment in terms of risk/reward at this stage. But it is a relevant topic here because an investor needs to keep an eye on companies invested in (TSLA) and staying abreast of developments around batteries is certainly a good part of that.

I don't think Quantumscape is "scammy", I watched their main investor presentation and my analysis is the shareholder lawsuit is not going to go anywhere beyond giving the lawyer-dogs just enough money to let go of their legs. These kind of lawsuits happen all the time. It's natural for young, pre-revenue companies to present a bullish picture of the facts. They know it will take billions in funding if they are ever to commercialize in volume and naturally that will be easier to do with a higher share price and more people on board.

I do think QS made it sound like commercialization was easier/sooner than is likely to happen but they are allowed to do that with forward-looking statements (they are just a guess and they don't have to be correct guesses). I actually thought they did a good job of sticking to the facts (as far as I could determine what the facts were). Their biggest sins were sins of omission, but I really don't think that's actionable here. For this suit to be successful they would need evidence and proof that the principles actively misled. I think that's going to be hard to come by.

Why the hell does GM need to be the "new" center of the world....Tesla already is. :) WTF is with these politicians!?! Seriously. Why are they so scared to mention Tesla?
As has been mentioned by others in this thread, Elon/Tesla is not popular with some environmental groups/activists (voters), not popular with some of the more "progressive" politicians or their base (voters). More importantly, there will be huge bribes err campaign donations from both the "Big 3" and the unions. The politicians don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Left off "roofing"
That could very well be. The gist however remains that based on EM's comment, it's probable that even though Tesla, in the near future, IMO could maintain pricing and stop doing 14 price cuts/year per GLJ, resulting in ridiculous NET profits. But they won't.
Partly because there is competition in spite of what we might want to believe and "the cars are not affordable enough".

They have been delicately dancing around with all revenue, including carbon credits to carefully massage their spending to strike a balance between:
  • controlled CAPEX spending
  • slight profits
  • affordability
  • R&D
  • growth
and probably a bunch of other stuff.
Don't forget, dropping the car price by 5% but having a 30-50% chance to sell that customer a 10k FSD package is a win. Dumb dumbs like Gojo don't understand that.

The implications of this are a production cost reduction on the order of 20-30%. Then there is the vastly higher stiffness and much less defect.

This, by itself, suggests we've seen nothing yet that is so consequential except, perhaps FSD or 4680's. I think it will be worth at least US$1,000 per share. I think we'll see the whole thing operating within three years, perhaps earlier. In the meantime each iteration is already paying for itself very quickly.

This is a very good point that flies right over the head of the naysayers.

The auto market is huge but it has a reputation of relatively low margins once everything is accounted for. But the market is so large that even small improvements can add up to big money. What is the percentage the average person spends on cars? Something like 25%? That might not be accurate but the point is valid, a very large portion of most peoples income is dedicated to cars.

If only there was a way to raise margins...;)