Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1FC46CB4-1226-4C3F-9F0B-647E0722F733.jpeg

Just a headline and some of the article...

General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel light-duty cars and SUVs by 2035

Big U.S. automaker says it will invest heavily in electric vehicles and become carbon neutral by 2040

General Motors said Thursday that it will end the sale of all gasoline and diesel powered passenger cars and light sports utility vehicles by 2035, marking an historic turning point for the iconic American automobile company and promising a future full of new electric vehicles for American motorists.

GM chief executive Mary Barra, who antagonized many climate experts by embracing President Donald Trump’s relaxation of fuel efficiency targets, said the company would eliminate all tailpipe emissions from light duty vehicles by that date. "As one of the world’s largest automakers, we hope to set an example of responsible leadership in a world that is faced with climate change,” she said on LinkedIn.

The carmaker will spend $27 billion on electric vehicles and associated products between 2020 and 2025, outstripping investment on conventional gasoline and diesel cars, GM has said. That figure includes refurbishing factories and investing in battery production in conjunction with LG Chem, a South Korean battery maker.

At least VW and Renault both sold 6 figures of EVs in 2020 so I expect they'll do that again in 2021.

(though Renault barely got there- like 103k or something)

But what the tesla killers folks don't get is those aren't competition for Tesla- they're competition for ICE cars.

Talking about an individual vehicle and ones pushed as Tesla killers. The Renault Zoe is not pushed as a Tesla killer. Is VW planning on producing 100K ID3 or ID4 in 2021?

Just a headline and some of the article...

General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel light-duty cars and SUVs by 2035

Big U.S. automaker says it will invest heavily in electric vehicles and become carbon neutral by 2040

General Motors said Thursday that it will end the sale of all gasoline and diesel powered passenger cars and light sports utility vehicles by 2035, marking an historic turning point for the iconic American automobile company and promising a future full of new electric vehicles for American motorists.

GM chief executive Mary Barra, who antagonized many climate experts by embracing President Donald Trump’s relaxation of fuel efficiency targets, said the company would eliminate all tailpipe emissions from light duty vehicles by that date. "As one of the world’s largest automakers, we hope to set an example of responsible leadership in a world that is faced with climate change,” she said on LinkedIn.

The carmaker will spend $27 billion on electric vehicles and associated products between 2020 and 2025, outstripping investment on conventional gasoline and diesel cars, GM has said. That figure includes refurbishing factories and investing in battery production in conjunction with LG Chem, a South Korean battery maker.
So, GMs most profitable pick-up truck division will remain gas and diesel well beyond 2035? Cybertruck can't get here fast enough. Only when Tesla pick-up truck EVs are out in volume will GM realize that they changed too little too late in the game, to their own demise.

SN9's flight is the real entertainment today. FAA hasn't approved the flight, but SpaceX has still been fueling the rocket; Elon is on the phone with FAA; one guy is reporting on twitter that FAA has approved it, then a couple minutes later SN9 starts depressing (ie aborting). THEN a local reports hearing the siren, a clear signal that something is happening in 10 minutes - or not, because there's still no FAA approval up.

Who needs TSLA when you have SpaceX?!

Edit: I really doubt it'll launch today however. The FAA approval needs to be up for long enough that airplanes/pilots can see it before they start their flight.

Good point that they are likely far along on their ridesharing app. I remember when I bought my first Tesla car, reading language in the purchase contract about my rights under the “Tesla Network”. Tesla engaged their lawyers on deeply thinking through and executing contractual language for a service to be first available years in the future. If they’ve got the lawyers working overtime on this, we can only imagine how hard the user interface designers, among many others, have been working, for several years now.
That's the cost of being first. Everyone else gets to just copy Tesla