Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ARK bought the dip today.

Indeed, Cathie added some TSLA to ARKK & ARKW.

upload_2021-1-28_17-29-45.png

Indirect FUD for $TSLA....1 complaint.....like really????

upload_2021-1-28_15-31-30.png

What's even dumber:

Elon previously addressed this question and said because space x rocket technology is considered advanced weapons tech they can't hire anyone without a green card not because they don't want to but because they can't due to US government restrictions.

It does look like it could go straight back or it looks like it could potentially fold down and then slide in with that notch on the dashboard hence why it doesn't have the top of the wheel part to stick out. Brilliant!

Not sure how an airbag would work with that though. Maybe the airbag is in the steering column and not in the wheel? That would be super slick!

View attachment 631656

Prepare for Tesla to include a "Not-a-jockstrap" codpiece made of Cybertruck bullet proof steel, if the F1 steering recedes into the dash - leaving the airbag at crotch height.

Last edited:
I really apologize for quoting my own post... that just seems amazingly tacky. But I just thought I'd gently dip a toe in these waters, and maybe add a few thoughts to the quoted post. Hopefully, the sharks won't rip that toe off and go for the leg. ;)

I just wanted to jump a bit deeper into the whole buy-and-hold philosophy, at least from my point of view. The first step in buy-and-hold is finding a company that is worth your investment dollars.

So what makes for a good growth stock? Tesla is a perfect case study. A person comes up with a fantastic, paradigm shifting product, and starts a company. The product is good, well received, and has the potential to be an actual paradigm shifting product, such that the market finds itself in a "reset to zero" position.

What's a "reset to zero?" Imagine it's the industrial revolution. You have a horse drawn carriage business. You make the absolute best carriages in the business. People can't buy them fast enough. You're making a fortune. Then someone comes along and invents the automobile. How is your carriage business going to survive? In its current form, it isn't. You've found yourself in a paradigm "reset to zero" shift.

The BEV is going to do to the ICE engine what the automobile did to the horse drawn carriage. Finding a company that recognizes this, takes advantage of it, and manages to execute the design and production of the new product is going to be a force to be reckoned with. If the current automobile manufacturers (also known as the horse drawn carriage makers of today) don't adapt, they won't survive. Adequately covering just this subject alone would require at least a hundred pages of text, so that's as far as we're gonna peek down that rabbit hole for now.

Please forgive the pun, but it's time to shift gears. Now that we've identified the company that has our interest, let's talk a bit about why the market analysts (both the bulls and the bears) shouldn't be listened to. You'll find just as many professional analysts that say you should short the stock as there are that say you should buy it. Well, maybe not 50/50, but the point is still made. The ONLY ANALYSIS THAT MATTERS IS YOUR OWN. YOU are perfectly capable of doing your own research and making your own decisions. Research the company. Investigate the management. Analyze how they plan on executing their business plan. Critique the product. Ask questions: Do people love the product? Is the product well made? Are they able to make a decent margin on the product? Are there additional revenue streams that they are taking advantage of? Do their quarterly reports show that they are spending money in the appropriate areas, while keeping costs in line? What are their plans for the future? How are they managing problems that come up (an example of this would be charging infrastructure)? Are the plans that they have made for growing the company reasonable? What competition will they face? How could this affect them? What makes this product a paradigm shifter? This whole process is called fundamental stock analysis. And the most qualified person to decide where your money goes is you; all of this information is publicly available, and YOU will care a lot more about how your dollars are invested than some analyst. Take your time. Learn. Ask questions. Mull it over. Give it some brain time. Make a company EARN your investment dollars through your research before you ever buy even a single share. This is what I did with Tesla. I even bought the product itself. For me, buying the product answered the last of my research questions, and convinced me to buy the stock.

Professional stock analysts often "analyze" thousands of different companies in a year. Do they really have the time to put in the research that they should before they offer their "professional" advice on said stock? No.... no they don't. A perfect example of this is the analysts that pigeon hole Tesla into the automotive sector. I don't have enough hands to facepalm adequately at these guys. That's like putting automobile manufacturers in the horse drawn carriage manufacturer's class. Another example is how so many "professional" stock analysts say that Tesla's current P/E BY ITSELF makes it tremendously over-valued. Have these guys never analyzed a growth company before?

If you are going to listen to the "professional" analysts, you owe it to yourself to analyze the analyst. Does what they say make sense? Are they assigning numbers that are appropriate to the company? Are they comparing the company to competitors in a way that has some sense of logic to it? If you find yourself saying "no" to these questions, you've probably found an analyst that you should completely ignore. The TL;DR of this: Don't go blindly listening to "professional" analysts. Scrutinize what they say in the same way you would the company you're considering investing in. Yes, it is possible to find analysts that are worth listening to. It's fine to listen to a guy that makes sense. The whole point is that you should critique analysts just as highly as you critique a company you're thinking of investing in.

And as a closing thought to this wall of text...Don't go blindly taking investment advice off the internet. Run everything you read through your own logic checker located between your ears. :)

Just a bit of quick background on where this is coming from. I've been a long term buy-and-hold investor since 1985. And yes, I realize there are other valid strategies for investing in the stock market.... this just happens to be mine. ;)

I could continue with my take on buy-and-hold, but I figure I'd just throw this up and see how hard the sharks bite, and also to see if anyone even finds it of value before I continue. So please feel free to disagree/like, etc. But for now, I'm gonna go wash my car. :D
I enjoyed reading this post. Well articulated. Although none of what you said should be new to anyone who has been lurking in this forum for a few years.

TLDR :
- Buy and Hold companies that you love
- Do your own research
- Above all there is a reason why analysts are indeed 'anal'ysts. They are mostly incompetent or worse untrustworthy.

Rating agency S&P warns 13 oil and gas companies they risk downgrades as renewables pick up steam

Rating agency S&P has warned 13 oil and gas companies, including the some of the world’s biggest, that it may downgrade them within weeks because of increasing competition from renewable energy.

On notice of a possible downgrade are Australia’s Woodside Petroleum as well as multinationals Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Imperial Oil, Royal Dutch Shell, Shell Energy North America, Canadian Natural Resources, ConocoPhillips and French group Total.

“In particular, we note significant challenges and uncertainties engendered by the energy transition, including market declines due to growth of renewables; pressures on profitability, specifically return on capital, as a result of high dollar capital investment levels over 2005-2015 and lower average oil and gas prices since 2014; and recent and potential oil and gas price volatility,” S&P said on Wednesday.

Source: Rating agency S&P warns 13 oil and gas companies they risk downgrades as renewables pick up steam

So when I sell my Tesla Model X, which has FSD, the buyer gets the FSD? Is that how it works? I'm planning on passing that along to the buyer when my new one is delivered.
That's the ONLY way it works and Elon confirmed that yesterday. FSD stays with the car. Once they offer a subscription, that will likely be monthly and will expire unless the next buyer chooses to keep/add it. This means a subscription of FSD will result in zero additional value for the future buyer and no increase in price for the seller.

I'm afraid you're giving VW a bit too much credit. It's true that ID3 deliveries only started in September, but VW had been building those cars since Spring and storing them on large parking lots awaiting a solution for their software problems. That puts that feat in a different light. There are also indications that many of the ID3s that VW registered in December had not been sold to customers. Thousands of them can still be found on dealer lots. By registering them in 2020 VW managed to lower the EU penalties for selling too few low and zero emission cars.

Have to disagree with you.

The actual question I was answering was someone asking "Is VW planning on producing 100K" of the ID.3 or ID.4

Whom they delivered them to after production or how fast they moved on afterward is not material to the discussion.

He was asking about capacity to produce BEVs and if anyone else was going to be able to hit 6 figures in 2021 other than Tesla.

Renault and VW both will (and did in 2020 as well).

I show my work below if interested:

VW specifically was stating Zwickau would produce 800 ID.3s a day (which is over 100,000 even they only ran the plant 3 days a week)- you can get that # from Cleantechnias tour of the factory... and just a couple weeks ago VW shut down the Dresden plant that was making the discontinued eGolf to instead also produce ID.3s

VW ends production of electric e-Golf in favor of new ID.3 - Electrek

Article mentions 2 salient facts:

1) VW has produced 145,561 e-Golf electric cars over the 6 years of the program.

2) VW plans to produce more ID.3s by the end of the next year (2021 being next year when the story was written) than the number of e-Golfs produced over the six years of the program.

So in answer to the question I was asked- Is VW planning on producing 100k ID.3 or ID.4s in 2021, the answer is yes, they absolutely are planning on doing that with at least the ID.3.

Again though, these should not be considered competition for Tesla- they should be considered competition for ICE vehicles

Certainly the dealers are looking at them this way- which is part of why that anonymous study found 24 out of 25 VW dealers explicitly avoided steering their customers toward the EV. Less profit, less service revenue.

A concern Tesla doesn't have to worry about.

Not sure how many here know Pierre Ferragu. He's one of the top stock analysts out there. He was on Rob's podcast once and is bullish on TSLA.

If you don't know who @FrankSG is, shame on you.

Both of them feel Tesla's growth in 2021 will be closer to 100% than 50% (which is obvious IMO). Frank goes a step further and says if the over/under is 100%, he'll take the over. I'm with him. In fact, I think there is a decent chance 2021 & 2022 both show ~100% growth.

https://twitter.com/FrankPeelen/status/1354934332360593419

Not sure how many here know Pierre Ferragu. He's one of the top stock analysts out there. He was on Rob's podcast once and is bullish on TSLA.

If you don't know who @FrankSG is, shame on you.

Both of them feel Tesla's growth in 2021 will be closer to 100% than 50% (which is obvious IMO). Frank goes a step further and says if the over/under is 100%, he'll take the over. I'm with him. In fact, I think there is a decent chance 2021 & 2022 both show ~100% growth.

https://twitter.com/FrankPeelen/status/1354934332360593419

Part of the reason software development estimates are bad is that humans are optimistic when estimating the future. The estimates rarely account for the unexpected, such as a pandemic.

It's been my observation that this group tends to hype ourselves up and then get disappointed when Tesla's amazing achievements don't match our hype.

I'm setting my estimate at 850,000 deliveries for 2021.