Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're misunderstanding this a bit. Texas has three tiers, Producers, Suppliers, and Retailers. Producers own the generating plants, Suppliers own the infrastructure, and retailers bill the consumer. Retailers are the only tier that is deregulated. The Suppliers have their hands tied because of the "battery storage is electricity generation" laws, so they can't do anything about grid stabilization. The Producers are the only tier that can legally use battery storage, but it's not in their best interest to do so because when this type of event happens, they they like the maximum $9999 charge limit. ERCOT is supposed to insure that between the producers and suppliers there is enough, but of course, they don't plan for human caused global warming events, such as this one because there hasn't been one before that affected them.

Most Texans have an electricity contract so they aren't affected by the high prices. Griddy always seemed to be the energy equivalent of short selling to me.

According to this reasoning, letting the suppliers buffer demand (pricing) with batteries solves all this.

Can Tesla make a battery sized just right so suppliers collectively could own 3 to 5?

The goal is "not brittle."

You have described a path.

This may be a setback, but let's not ignore the incredible advancements being achieved in the Lidar space.

giphy.gif

EX-TER-MI-NATE

Looks like we got a DALEK. Somebody call "The Doctor"​

Remember when I said we were at/close to the local top at around the 800ish mark and then several members here flamed me, saying that dips were not a possibility? :D

Everything is playing out like I wanted it to. TSLA is following a similar pattern to the GME short squeeze: people holding a stock isn't enough for the price to move upwards; people have to also buy the stock. There are not many people who believe TSLA is a buy at the $800 mark, so people are holding, but not buying. There is no major catalyst for TSLA in the short-term, so I expect the slow bleed to continue for months. TSLA needs to either have a blowout quarter or make major progress with FSD for the next upwards movement. Q1 and Q2 will both fall short of expectations, I predict. FSD won't be solved this year, and there will be no hype for it. Don't be surprised if this is a bearish year for TSLA.

I hope TSLA falls to the sub-$500 price range so I can load up with my bitcoin gains when it hits $500,000+.

Still can't believe people here thought that TSLA would continue its parabolic rise this year. Just LOL... :oops:

I would sincerely agree with you if I had not seen how badly Tesla had it last year. Here's to ANOTHER BAD YEAR!

Indeed, when long quiet care-bears suddenly return with hyper-posting activity, that usually indicates a significant share-price bottoming process has already reached its conclusion. :cool:
I'd also add that when folks suddenly start posting things I don't understand in response to something I haven't seen...it equates equal.

Tl;dr Ignore the trolls, but recognize the "tells"

I would sincerely agree with you if I had not seen how badly Tesla had it last year. Here's to ANOTHER BAD YEAR!
This sugarbag has been wrong too many times to count. If I didn’t have him on ‘ignore’ I’d check the way back machine to document all his “better sell now” comments.

I’m gonna just refer to him as Gordo from here on out.

Gordo fails to realize this forum is littered with industry experts from all fields who often bring meaningful negativity into discussion. This isn’t the eQho chamber he’s used too.

Good day sir Gordo.

What a wild day. Glad Berlin building is chugging along. If a few weeks delay in Giga Austin, that’s OK.

Do you all remember the chart that has a comparison between Shanghai build vs. current factory builds in terms of “first roof”, “first footings” or “first wall” Etc etc?
I’d like to compare where we are currently with Berlin vs Shanghai

Reactions: RobsJester
According to this reasoning, letting the suppliers buffer demand (pricing) with batteries solves all this.

Can Tesla make a battery sized just right so suppliers collectively could own 3 to 5?

The goal is "not brittle."

You have described a path.
The path is well known. But it's illegal due to the laws passed by the Legislature. This is a political problem, not a technical problem.

I'd assume that the bitcoin gets marked to market each quarter for the earnings report (as I would expect any liquid asset such as this, including share ownership in other companies for instance). If I'm right then bitcoin isn't something they've got up their sleeve to use when they want to. Instead it'll move the paper value of our company up and down to the degree that changes in bitcoin change the value of the bitcoin investment.

And I'm pretty sure that those up and down moves in the bitcoin investment when marked to market go to the bottom line for GAAP accounting purposes (but I'm not an accountant or tax pro - I bet others here know one way or the other). I would expect those investment valuation impacts to be 0 on non-GAAP earnings.

There are some subtleties to take into account, as explained by Meet Kevin here from about the 5'00 mark:

In short:
  • If their BTC assets shrink below purchase price, they get to write off the loss as expenses, even if they didn't sell..
  • When they reverse this loss they get to book it as a profit again
  • Any gains above purchase price do not affect their profits, but are considered assets.. Profits only considered when they sell..

Can someone clarify? This was the running thought until some people here claims that you cannot claim profit on BTC until you sell EVEN if that "profit" comes from just BTC returning to the original purchase price.

YouTube content on this topic is misleading, incomplete, and at times inaccurate:
  1. US GAAP only allows for impairment (unrealized write downs / losses) of intangible assets - which is how BTC is categorized until accounting regulators release new guidance
  2. Unrealized losses impact net income / earnings, and this does impact EPS
  3. You don’t get a tax write off for unrealized BTC losses
  4. Unrealized gains, whether reversal of prior unrealized loss, or above original cost basis, DO NOT get reflected on income statement nor on balance sheet
  5. Gains only get reflected on disposition of the BTC
This differs from IFRS (which allows for recognition of unrealized gains on intangible assets where a market for those assets exist), which is the international accounting framework for public companies. US GAAP regulators have currently chosen to not follow the same treatment of intangible assets.

Accounting impact of Tesla owning BTC

That's due to lack of effective regulation. If you want to sell power during the easy times, you should be required to take reasonable preparation to be able to handle a winter storm. That's when people need the power the most. Sure, you will be more profitable if you just plan on being up and running 99% of the time but a reliable grid is more important than maximizing profits.

If I were a Texan, I would stop defending the under-regulated grid system that funnels big profits into owners pockets at the expense of the captive customers because I wouldn't want to look that silly. Hopefully, Tesla can help bring solutions to to these injustices. It's obvious that those 70 electricity wholesalers didn't have enough incentive to ensure a constant supply. Most of them are tiny producers and the big wholesalers are making a killing and laughing all the way to the bank while Texans are freezing and defending the system designed by the robber-barons (because you were told it was apple pie and American freedom and it would save you money). What they didn't tell you is your retail power would be almost 50% cheaper and more reliable if there was real regulation. This isn't the first time the robber-baron grid has failed Texans and it won't be the last.
This is the problem with removing regulations. I'm in Texas after having moved from California. Removal of regulations means materially that my car insurance is more, because auto insurance companies can use more of their income from premiums towards their own investments-- so they increase the rates. In California, there is a regulation that limits the amount/percentage of premium income from an insurance company that can be used for investments. Correct me if i'm wrong. Bottom line is less regulations so higher car insurance for me...

As per her statements on CNBC today, Ark was certainly buying the crap out of TSLA today. Now, where is my darn updated price target? ;)

28 ARKW 02/17/2021 Buy TSLA 88160R101 TESLA INC 29,508 0.2468
21 ARKQ 02/17/2021 Buy TSLA 88160R101 TESLA INC 13,173 0.2509
11 ARKK 02/17/2021 Buy TSLA 88160R101 TESLA INC 89,447 0.2532

This is the problem with removing regulations. I'm in Texas after having moved from California. Removal of regulations means materially that my car insurance is more, because auto insurance companies can use more of their income from premiums towards their own investments-- so they increase the rates. In California, there is a regulation that limits the amount/percentage of premium income from an insurance company that can be used for investments. Correct me if i'm wrong. Bottom line is less regulations so higher car insurance for me...

This would be true only if the market for car insurance was not competitive.

This may be a setback, but let's not ignore the incredible advancements being achieved in the Lidar space.

giphy.gif

Too bad Leslie Nielsen is gone. This lidar hat cries out for its moment in the opening scene of a new Naked Gun sequel. Why it even has wipers for the drive through the women’s locker room shower! :p