Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the opening whistle, Team Tesla came out strong and held an early lead, but hit a cold stretch and fell behind. They crawled their way back and went through several lead changes, pulling ahead late in the 4th quarter, but hit a massive slump to give up the lead and finish with a narrow loss. What started as a promising season has turned sour in the past week or so, and hopefully they will regain their positive footing.

Today
Score
: 675.50
Margin of W/L: -6.72
Attendance: 40,133,011

Season
Record
: 20-18
Total points in wins: 429.06
Total points in losses: -459.23
YTD gain/loss: -30.17 -4.28%
Avg points per win: 21.45
Avg points per loss: -25.51
Best W: 63.98 2021-01-08
Worst L: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 3-7
Streak: L2

From the opening whistle, Team Tesla came out strong and held an early lead, but hit a cold stretch and fell behind. They crawled their way back and went through several lead changes, pulling ahead late in the 4th quarter, but hit a massive slump to give up the lead and finish with a narrow loss. What started as a promising season has turned sour in the past week or so, and hopefully they will regain their positive footing.

Today
Score

Season
Record
I wish you had a twitter feed with just this. As it stands now, I have to sift through charts, and care bears, and reposts, and even my own drivel just to get to this every day. :D

If we close at or around $700 today, I will never question this board's opinion that the MMs control the SP for options expirations.

These short-term predictions are based on the Max Pain, i.e. the Friday closing price where sellers of options inflict the maximum losses on their buyers, i.e. the stock price where the options that end up in the money expire with the minimum value.

It is widely accepted that no one and also not sellers of options can control the stock price through the will of their mind.

Rather, it must take some form of manipulation (the nature of which is being much debated).

But it seems obvious that such manipulation comes at a cost - and possibly even with some risk. It also seems logical that such manipulation will have to overcome the natural equilibrium of buying and selling pressure, and that therefore the more actual buying and selling there is ongoing, the more costly (and potentially risky) the manipulation must be.

As such it is natural to imagine that the ability of options sellers to inflict Max Pain is more pronounced on trading days where there is light trading going on. A scientist worth their salt would look for this in historical data, but I don't know one.

So on trading days where the volume is low (for example 50% or less of the average), one could expect the Max Pain to be a relatively good predictor of the closing price. Whereas on trading days where the volume is higher, it becomes a poorer predictor. Today the trading volume was within 10% of the average - so this could be the explanation. Assuming the whole thing is not nonsense...

Today
Score

Season
Record

Way OT, and since it's the weekend, and I really missed MLB last year...

At least they should be able to compete with Tesla on price now.

First, a surprisingly ingenious way to keep an electric scooter charged by connecting it to an EV and now a blazingly brilliant marketing insight.

Please, stop! That's all the innovation I can handle in a single day! ;)

Last edited:
Buying outs when ARK invest is buying TSLA massively, you are betting against Cathy and Elon!

Cathie and Elon both plan further ahead than March 29th. They don't really care about swings like this so much.

I do have some June 2022 LEAPs that are hurting more than Id like and rather than close those out Id prefer to just put some puts in while the market is shaky.

Today
Score

Season
Record

When’s the trade deadline?

Weekend OT Solar Roof update!

Feb 10th: Solar Roof ordered
Feb 11th: Assessment and design completed
Feb 26th: Permits obtained

Texted the project manager about timelines and he said to expect the scheduling team to reach out "over the next month to schedule solar roof start date."

Solar Roof2.png

I've never purchased a call before (sold some covered calls against my current TSLA holdings since 2018) but the January 2022 call at $800 has been looking better and better lately. I know the premium is something like $14k (which is way down since a few weeks ago based on the SP movement the last week), but looking Tesla's plan for 2021 I couldn't see things going up from where we are today. Although I believe in Tesla buying something with such a high premium scares me.

There are many people on this forum that understand things much better than me but I feel like this logic makes sense. Any advice on TSLA calls or anything related would be great!

You state you've never bought a call before, but the price of the Jan 22 $800 is low enough to temp you, but on the other hand you don't see the SP rising between now and the expiration date.

So why would you be looking to buy a call if that's your opinion? Doesn't make sense.

I've never purchased a call before (sold some covered calls against my current TSLA holdings since 2018) but the January 2022 call at $800 has been looking better and better lately. I know the premium is something like $14k (which is way down since a few weeks ago based on the SP movement the last week), but looking Tesla's plan for 2021 I couldn't see things going up from where we are today. Although I believe in Tesla buying something with such a high premium scares me.

There are many people on this forum that understand things much better than me but I feel like this logic makes sense. Any advice on TSLA calls or anything related would be great!

I think ive lost more money on short term calls and puts than ive ever made. I have done well with LEAPS tho. Not advice