Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not predicting success for Ford in the long run but it appears to me to be an intelligent move to send vehicles to Europe to establish a beachhead in the fastest growing EV market outside of China.

I see Ford's strategy of sending their first EV's to Europe as a way to delay the gutting of their most profitable ICE sales in the US. Eventually, the US will be the only large market where they can still sell ICE vehicles so they are protecting that as long as possible.

Yes, but if I recall the review correctly, they totally ignored the fact that every Tesla also comes with 2 keycards to keep in your wallet as backup. Or, the fact that you can call your significant other to unlock it with the app remotely.
These keycards are great, can be reprogrammed to a different Tesla (or cancelled if lost) - and a new pair costs 35$ (or €). I drilled holes in one, so I can keep it on a string around my neck inside my wet-suit/triathlon-suit. The price for a new key for an old-fashioned car is _much_ higher.

Today would be a great day to release your new PT Ms. Wood. Well, maybe Monday but I really want to see that new bull case of 26k. ;)

Exactly. And if people do not get how stupid the "EV market share" argument is, then just point out that Tesla has been absolutely 100% dominating the Model S market since 2012, then they expanded to a new market: the "Model 3" market and have been dominating that too since 2017, and now they practically own the Model Y market too. No other company has even touched any of the markets Tesla is selling their vehicles in. They have complete unchallenged 100% market share and maintaining that.
The analogy would be early on when Smartphones came out. By that metric Apple "lost market share" to competitors when they introduced their own smartphones. After all, before that Apple had 100% of the Smartphone market! Let's ignore the fact that Apple smartphones were replacing dumb phones at a rapid pace. (there were some other "smartphones" at the time but this is simplified)

I was fully ready to Florida-boomer-internet-idea mock you on this......but it's actually pretty good. Or it could certainly be a foundation of something.
Yep, it'd be difficult to stay within your lane, but to have a source that does an honest "Hatchet job" without an ulterior motive would be huge. Even if the Youtube channel was wrong every so often and had to retract or modify their position... it would insightful. As would a "fan boy" that would be honest and fanboy everything about a particular model.
Don't compare it to another model just state "Wow, it really does go from 0-60 in 7.2 seconds."

EDIT: Of course in the comment section the fireworks would start....that is usually where I learn the most anyway.

We have no real details about what Biden's team will propose but I'm pretty sure the Democrat's have the ability to pass the infrastructure bill through reconciliation
The Senate gets one budget reconciliation bill per year. But the COVID stimulus was passed using last year's budget authority, so they have access to a bonus round this year.

The price for a new key for an old-fashioned car is _much_ higher.
If I recall, a replacement fob for my wife's 3000GT was around $300! :mad: I wonder how much Ford charges for a replacement Mach E fob. As you said, the keycards are MUCH more friendly when it comes to things like water sports. Its all in how they want to skew the story.

Not sure if I just missed it, but have we heard anything from Fremont on the impact of the fire? Didn't see any Tweets or official releases. Not even rumors to be honest.

I saw something that said it should be back up and running again in a few days.

Gigafactory Austin update:

1. installing robots on the gigapress casting machine, it looks like trial casts are only a week or two away.

2. installing paintshop baths.

3. some internal walls and quite a bit of equipment is being installed.

4. cell production section is moving at a fast pace. It looks like they really want to start making those cells and structural batteries.

Tesla advantages are software, updates and charging infrastructure. Ford advantages are lots of service centers to get help, and hardware build quality. Can't get locked out etc since ford's use a B pillar combo lock to gain entry.

If charging infrastructure improves alot over time it will help Ford and the ev industry overall most.

I think cost will still matter most to the masses with the EV push though.
Just about to return a loaner MX75 given for minor recall repair on our 2016MX90D. What is very interesting is that the MX 75 has a 90% charge range of 245 miles, while my MX is around 221 miles. So looks like there have been significant improvements to the motor to allow for better range with a smaller battery...

I saw something that said it should be back up and running again in a few days.

Yeah, saw that but i think that's just Tesmanian guessing. I mean AFAIK there are two if these side by side, so Model Y production probably won't have to fully stop but may need to be dialed back for a few das.

There are 27 member countries in the EU, a tariff can't be placed on cars made in the EU.

Will Greece, Hungry, Latvia, or Estonia really car about German and French car makers, or will they want the jobs?
Umm, didn‘t a good deal of the money to help bail Greece out of its recent debt crisis come from Germany and France?

Isn’t the EU first and foremost an economic union? Presumably all the member states favor a strong collective economy.

Tariffs are a blunt instrument and there are likely other approaches that might be taken before adjusting those. However, I agree with @RobStark that there is no chance the EU or the governments of the nations involved will cede the auto market to Tesla and the Chinese. Far from it, I expect them to play hardball.

Nor will the US, Japan, Korea, etc. hand over the core of their industrial bases to China especially now that the political elites have finally woken up to the threat.

These keycards are great, can be reprogrammed to a different Tesla (or cancelled if lost) - and a new pair costs 35$ (or €). I drilled holes in one, so I can keep it on a string around my neck inside my wet-suit/triathlon-suit. The price for a new key for an old-fashioned car is _much_ higher.
A lot of people don't know this but you can use the same key card for multiple Tesla. Very handy if you are building up a small fleet! o_O

Umm, didn‘t a good deal of the money to help bail Greece out of its recent debt crisis come from Germany and France?

Isn’t the EU first and foremost an economic union? Presumably all the member states favor a strong collective economy.

Since apparently we're talking about whatever we like, I will add....

Germany benefits far more from the collective currency than Greece benefits from a meager one-time bailout and no collective debt issuance. How many cars would be exported from Germany if the Italians were paying 40k deutchmarks?