Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is this actually happening, though? I haven't heard anything about it in weeks.

recent action has been around the virus stimulus bill this was never part of.

Likely if it happens it'd be in a big infrastructure bill.

The democrats only get 1 more use of reconciliation this year (and they only get a second one in the same year this time because congress failed to pass a budget at all in 2020- normally you only get 1 per year) so that MIGHT go toward an infrastructure bill, but there remain some strict rules about what's allowed in a reconciliation bill and what isn't.... (it would likely have to use a hard end date instead of a vague "number of cars sold" cut off for example to fit within the rules though they could ALSO put a # of cars limit on it as well as the cutoff date and label it whichever comes first)

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and Pezpunk
And mostly in the EU from what I understand.
If you are correct (I am not knowledgeable or care to know), then the choice to sell in Europe would make complete sense for the same reason(s) Tesla ships cars all over the damn world when they could easily sell all their vehicles within the company of manufacture.
I tried to figure why Tesla shipped vehicles at great expense instead of concentrating locally/nationally because of the additional expense and headaches. Ford believes the fastest growth for "American" EV's is Europe. China is out due to well..it is China. The USA is still Ford Country in their eyes.
And my reasoning is that they are "seeding"(not sure if that word is correct?) Europe. My opinion is based on two premises. Tesla sells more cars through owners convincing friends and relatives than any other way. And that Tesla believes they are going to ramp up so fast that they will over saturate the US and China markets with vehicles within a given tile period. And that developing new markets take time... AND developing new infrastructure (Charging network) takes time.
A few engineers in sales can do the math. They know exactly what they are doing, incremental growth early on and then as you all are so fond of, that "S-curve" thingee happens.
Now with a normal company that Seeding isn't a good strategy. But when companies are going to grow so damn fast they might get ahead of demand then this seeding strategy makes sense to me. And Elon plans to open so many factories to quickly "git er done" that he has this seeding thing down to a science.
Now back to Ford. Them sending most of their vehicles to Europe could be a sign of intelligence, understanding, AND ambition. Ford has so much of the capability to establish a firm position in the market. (Yes, don't bother. I know they have virtually unsurmountable software and engineering, and retooling issues. But they may think they have the roadmap to selling millions of EV's within a few years so they are developing their perceived market through seeding.) Ford could sell their 50k of mustangs in the USA. With their advertising and name brand recognition, and die-hard Ford fanatics...even having a dealer network helps in selling them in the USA now.
I am not predicting success for Ford in the long run but it appears to me to be an intelligent move to send vehicles to Europe to establish a beachhead in the fastest growing EV market outside of China.

Edit: Of course the flip side of that is once the EV credit is passed that includes Tesla once again, demand might spike up so much that delivery times are pushed way out, thus driving some consumers back to a Mach E that can't wait multiple quarters to buy a Model Y. So I could see that scenario happening
That's when ill be doing my part when I have the vaccine.

"Hey you son of a bitch! Yeah you. I saw you looking at my Tesla. Get in. You're going for a test drive!"

About that build quality: they have already had to recall some Mach-Es because some bolts weren't properly tightened...

Ford recalled 75 Mach-e for bolt.

Tesla recalled 9500 S/X over bolt and roof recall.

China loves Elon:

Social platforms brim with videos and articles pondering whether the South African-born billionaire is a trailblazer or a fraud, and examining everything from his upbringing to his taste in Beijing hot pot joints. Start-up founders swear by his belief in “first-principles thinking,” which looks for solutions by examining problems at their most fundamental level. A stack of books by Chinese authors promises to reveal the secrets of the “Silicon Valley Iron Man,” which is the nickname that seems to have stuck in China, not King of Mars or Rocket Man.

In a long thread about Mr. Musk on the question-and-answer site Zhihu, a user named Moonshake writes that most people start out full of hope but gradually accept the “mediocrity” that is their fate.

“Only a superman like Musk can move past the endless mediocrity and toward the infinite, to see the magnificence of the universe,” Moonshake writes.

is this actually happening, though? I haven't heard anything about it in weeks.

That's because Congress was busy passing the Covid relief stimulus. They can really only focus one thing at a time so they're not going to openly talk about the infrastructure bill. Sounds like we'll be hearing from it from Biden in the next couple of weeks and from there couple take a couple months to get through Congress.

We have no real details about what Biden's team will propose but I'm pretty sure the Democrat's have the ability to pass the infrastructure bill through reconciliation

Tesla advantages are software, updates and charging infrastructure. Ford advantages are lots of service centers to get help, and hardware build quality.
Right. About that build quality...

My less than 2 year old SuperCharged T-Bird had solvent eat through the wiring harness in the rocker channel, and had to be replaced. Small problem: Ford replaced the harness with the following year's harness, and it was not the same. They had NO replacements for my car, and it took them 3 tries and 6 months to have a custom harness built in Japan. The car was stripped from the firewall to the taillights as the harness was all one massive web of tangled wires.

Great build quality and documentation errors superseding the part with a different build.

Back then, a leased car (as I was told) wasn't a lemon law candidate. I was given a POS loaner that the dealer demanded back after 6 weeks. Had to get the zone manager involved.

Would never buy another Ford, ever.

If you are correct (I am not knowledgeable or care to know), then the choice to sell in Europe would make complete sense for the same reason(s) Tesla ships cars all over the damn world when they could easily sell all their vehicles within the company of manufacture.
I tried to figure why Tesla shipped vehicles at great expense instead of concentrating locally/nationally because of the additional expense and headaches. Ford believes the fastest growth for "American" EV's is Europe. China is out due to well..it is China. The USA is still Ford Country in their eyes.
And my reasoning is that they are "seeding"(not sure if that word is correct?) Europe. My opinion is based on two premises. Tesla sells more cars through owners convincing friends and relatives than any other way. And that Tesla believes they are going to ramp up so fast that they will over saturate the US and China markets with vehicles within a given tile period. And that developing new markets take time... AND developing new infrastructure (Charging network) takes time.
A few engineers in sales can do the math. They know exactly what they are doing, incremental growth early on and then as you all are so fond of, that "S-curve" thingee happens.
Now with a normal company that Seeding isn't a good strategy. But when companies are going to grow so damn fast they might get ahead of demand then this seeding strategy makes sense to me. And Elon plans to open so many factories to quickly "git er done" that he has this seeding thing down to a science.
Now back to Ford. Them sending most of their vehicles to Europe could be a sign of intelligence, understanding, AND ambition. Ford has so much of the capability to establish a firm position in the market. (Yes, don't bother. I know they have virtually unsurmountable software and engineering, and retooling issues. But they may think they have the roadmap to selling millions of EV's within a few years so they are developing their perceived market through seeding.) Ford could sell their 50k of mustangs in the USA. With their advertising and name brand recognition, and die-hard Ford fanatics...even having a dealer network helps in selling them in the USA now.
I am not predicting success for Ford in the long run but it appears to me to be an intelligent move to send vehicles to Europe to establish a beachhead in the fastest growing EV market outside of China.

Ford needs to sell EVs in Europe, otherwise big payments to Volvo (same emissions pool, maybe others, not keeping track), can't sell ICE or BIGGER fines to EU

EU is ahead at the moment in persuading OEMs to provide EVs, Ford's best choice is supply EU. If USA, China or other markets tighten up, then Ford will change.

Tesla do seem to seed, I believe this is part of developing a worldwide company, less able to be harmed by USA/oil special interests. The other part is multiple factories in different political & economic areas. Helps to avoid effects of special interests, localism & also trade wars.

Ford recalled 75 Mach-e for bolt.

Tesla recalled 9500 S/X over bolt and roof recall.

What's your point? I never said Tesla didn't have issues/recalls. But you can't just compare the number of cars recalled. For example Ford only delivered ~3,800 Mach-Es and recalled 75 of them, or ~2%. Tesla recalled 401 Model Ys for bolt issues, but they have delivered ~140k, so that was about ~0.3% of them. (Deliver ~37 times as many vehicles, but recall 1/10th as many of them.)

Also, what about all the Mach-Es that were almost delivered, but at the last minute Ford decided that it had to ship them back to the factory, in Mexico, for "quality checks". Apparently they don't trust their dealers to do quality checks, even with instructions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
People who claim that Tesla "lost market share" because they have a lower % of total EV sales are clueless. There is no EV market, it's the auto market. I roll my eyes so much when people like Gordo talk about this.
Exactly. And if people do not get how stupid the "EV market share" argument is, then just point out that Tesla has been absolutely 100% dominating the Model S market since 2012, then they expanded to a new market: the "Model 3" market and have been dominating that too since 2017, and now they practically own the Model Y market too. No other company has even touched any of the markets Tesla is selling their vehicles in. They have complete unchallenged 100% market share and maintaining that.

huh? you are aware that contracts are bought and sold throughout the week (even today) and those will influence Maxpain. MaxPain is not written in stone.
Really? Thanks, I wasn't aware /s 😂

Seriously though, I only see yesterday's data, so indeed this could be off by $10 either way. Real-time access to open-interest would be very useful information indeed

Any thoughts about next week, or is it too early to tell?

Next week is a triple-witching and the chart is once again screwed with 313k $20 strike shitputs. TBH it will shift next week, there's a call-wall at $650, but then more puts than calls above that up to a bigger call-wall at $700, need things to shake-out a bit.

Macro is playing a big role right now, this stupid yield nonsense that everyones' 💩 their 🩳 over is making things tricky

Is there such a thing as an impartial car review any more?
DUDE! I just thought of IT! I mean the big "IT."
Impartial car reviews....
I can do it. I can.
Or at least I have the concept.
And I am going to "Share" it here in case someone wants to become famous on YouTube...and remember I expect a royalty for whatever side you choose to do. And there are TWO sides. You have to choose one, and can only ever do one for the life of your youtube channel.
Ready?

Create a channel where you only provide either everything right or wrong with the vehicle you "review." Don't lie, just discuss "ONLY" what is wrong with every car you review. Leave it to the other guy to talk about all the pluses. Never mention a good thing about ANY vehicle.
Or take the other channel, and never give an inkling that cars are anything but perfect.

"Today we are going to discuss Tesla model 3...
It's ugly
It's breath stinks. (even though it does not breathe)
It goes too fast.
It is too quiet.

But be factual and honest..but NOTHING but the bad.
Never even say It is uglier than a Ford or chevy or whatever other car because that is saying something nice about another car. You can say it is uglier than yourself or the southern end of a in heat northbound bulldog.

People would actually watch the video to get the facts when they hear something about a car they like being mentioned as having battery issues. Or if they already hate the car and want to hear more.

• Funny
Reactions: Discoducky
I think this might have seemed like a bigger deal a couple of years ago when GigaNevada was the jewel in the Tesla manufacturing crown - but now why would you want to expand at the Nevada site compared to other places that don't have the same limitations.

Both Fremont and Austin have nearly limitless resources (labour/skills/transport connections) compared to Sparks. If regulations are an issue in Fremont - Focus on Austin.

With the exception of the unproven lithium clay, there doesn't appear to be many relevant natural resources near GigaNevada either?
I don't see it like that. Nevada paused expansion for technical reasons that will not always be valid (for a number of reasons). Increasing automation will eliminate the need to rely on a huge workforce which was only one reason for the pause to begin with. I think we will see a sudden expansion there within a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

AFAIK the main reason Ford is allocating most of their EV production to the EU is because the emissions fines are higher there.

Honestly I think they'd ship even MORE than 60% to the EU if it wouldn't be embarrassing for Ford to fail to deliver any substantial # of a mustang domestically.

AFAIK a lot of other legacy is doing the same (Hyundai for example which plans to deliver far more EVs in the EU than the US for the same reason).

All are battery constrained, and it's better financially to offset penalties in the EU than in the US.

DUDE! I just thought of IT! I mean the big "IT."
Impartial car reviews....
I can do it. I can.
Or at least I have the concept.
And I am going to "Share" it here in case someone wants to become famous on YouTube...and remember I expect a royalty for whatever side you choose to do. And there are TWO sides. You have to choose one, and can only ever do one for the life of your youtube channel.
Ready?

Create a channel where you only provide either everything right or wrong with the vehicle you "review." Don't lie, just discuss "ONLY" what is wrong with every car you review. Leave it to the other guy to talk about all the pluses. Never mention a good thing about ANY vehicle.
Or take the other channel, and never give an inkling that cars are anything but perfect.

"Today we are going to discuss Tesla model 3...
It's ugly
It's breath stinks. (even though it does not breathe)
It goes too fast.
It is too quiet.

But be factual and honest..but NOTHING but the bad.
Never even say It is uglier than a Ford or chevy or whatever other car because that is saying something nice about another car. You can say it is uglier than yourself or the southern end of a in heat northbound bulldog.

People would actually watch the video to get the facts when they hear something about a car they like being mentioned as having battery issues. Or if they already hate the car and want to hear more.
I was fully ready to Florida-boomer-internet-idea mock you on this......but it's actually pretty good. Or it could certainly be a foundation of something.

Reactions: lafrisbee