Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't Tesla beefed up underbody protection shield 7 years ago with Model S? I thought they would be extra careful and added extra protection for Model 3 as well, regardless if Titanium was used or not.
Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S
The shield was to prevent the square front of the battery pack from grabbing road debris and turning it into a pole vault type scenario. It won't do anything about coming down on a big rock.

Model 3 starts at 40k GBP.

This will hit Model 3 sales in the UK. As from today they will become £3,000 more expensive (current price after the grant is £40,490). Wont affect S and X which are already higher than the existing threashold of £50K. Will also hit EV sales generally in the UK, which generally cost more than £35K. Not good news.

Tesla stops assembly of Model S/X in Tilburg (The Netherlands), potentially laying off almost a hundred employees:
With the new S/X, it’s apparently not worthwhile/technically possible to ship the battery and the remainder of the car separately to Europe to avoid import tariffs.

Here is a sample of seekingalpha.com, the most concentrated hub of Tesla shorts/writers, also a PARTNER of CNBC.com

This is about what Dr. Lomborg, he has been speaking and writing about climate science for almost 20 years, said about electric vehicles in a recent interview:

Quote “So the reality is that these cars will typically, over their lifetime, cut maybe 10 tons of CO2. Now, to most people that doesn't mean anything. But actually, on the standard marketplaces for CO2 emissions in the U.S, you could cut a similar amount for $60 right now. So spending $7,500 on subsidies to get that amount over even ten years is a really bad idea”. So you can cut 10 tons of CO2 for $60 ? Elon can give $100M to anyone to remove/suck CO2 from our atmosphere in a recent tweet/news.

Bjorn Lomborg says subsidies for electric cars are "really bad".

Lomborg is really skilled at presenting an argument that non-experts will find convincing, but is total garbage. In this short passage he makes several deliberate errors, but without actually lying, so that the general public will get completely the wrong message.

1. First note how he plucks 10 ton of CO2 out of the air, it is probably too low, he is well known for cherry-picking data to find the one bit that best fits his argument. My own research is that a typical ICE car will produce 60 tonnes of CO2 and that it takes 17.5 tonnes of CO2 to make an electric car.

2. The next is that he assumes that people could cut the CO2 by buying emissions credits under a cap-and-trade scheme for $6/tonne, and that increased demand will not drive the price up. For an economist that is a really bad assumption.

3. Next is the $7,500 being spent on subsidies, that is spent by the government (notice how he changes from individual spending to government spending). It is also a tax rebate, not direct government spending, which has subtly different effects which we can ignore, but it is typical of Lomborg that he mixes up pots of money and assumes that money from one pot can just be used in any arbitary way.

4. If the government wanted to spend $7,500 in reducing CO2 by buying emissions credits it could spend the money directly, so at $6/tonne it could buy 1,250 tonnes. Obviously that would cause the price to shoot up, but Lomborg wouldn't want that because it is against the interests of his paymasters.

5. But if the government (I'm using government loosely to be at both federal and state levels) wanted to reduce CO2 by cap-and-trade they can just reduce the cap, that would cost them nothing, and they could still spend the $7,500 subsidizing EVs.

6. Lomborg mixes up supply side measures (buying emissions credits) with demand side (EV subsidies).

7. And the elephant in the room. Teslas are already cheaper in 5 year cost of ownership than equivalent ICE cars. So from a consumer perspective having to buy emission credits tips the advantage even further to Tesla.

Maybe by the change in diameter as they wear. The car should cover X distance in Y tire rotations when new and that will change with wear.
The difference will be about one percent over the entire life of the tire (Model Y, 19"). not sure that's enough to make a valid measurement given that there is some manufacturing variability.

• Helpful
Reactions: Unpilot
This will hit Model 3 sales in the UK. As from today they will become £3,000 more expensive (current price after the grant is £40,490). Wont affect S and X which are already higher than the existing threashold of £50K. Will also hit EV sales generally in the UK, which generally cost more than £35K. Not good news.
Most likely doesn't matter for the EU right now since everyone is expecting a price drop after Berlin is online, and EU couldn't get enough supply anyways. Kind of sucks that this policy is immediately active. Shouldn't the government have a grace period with such changes?

Most likely doesn't matter for the EU right now since everyone is expecting a price drop after Berlin is online, and EU couldn't get enough supply anyways. Kind of sucks that this policy is immediately active. Shouldn't the government have a grace period with such changes?

I can't remember it in the recent budget. Any change like this should have been in the budget, there is no excuse.

Perhaps it is payback for Tesla choosing Germany for their European factory, or an attempt at leverage (we'll up the limit if you build a battery factory here).

~~~This thread was BADLY derailed last night by infiltrators wearing the avatars of some longstanding, and some more recent, posters. Somehow on the TSLA thread appeared any number of -

1. COVID posts

2. “WAAAH! My OT post was deleted and nobody told me” posts. Receiving a notification that your post has been taken down is now and ALWAYS has been a privilege, one not always given, and almost never given if the post not only was an egregiously obvious off-topic post, but also amongst a Donnybrook pile-up of same~~~

Can't Tesla just make a RHD MiC Model 3 with LFP pack for 35k GBP?

@Singuy - UK not in EU

I'm assuming car imports from EU to UK needs an agreement ratified, otherwise it's WTO terms. This agreement is arguably in some jeopardy due to EU concerns about alleged UK treaty breaking (twice).

China-sourced cars might be best for Tesla to reduce risk, but they know a lot more than me. Shipping lead times mean that decisions have to be made without certainty. If I was Tesla, I'd just concentrate on other European (geographical) markets, but again, Tesla will be in a better position to judge. They'll sell everything they send. RHD in a few small EU markets, otherwise LHD.

Perhaps for UK Model 3:-
China SR+
LRAWD - maybe skip UK for now or send from either location of USA/China
Performance - send from either

Model Y: TBD

@RobStark - I'd hope so, from memory, I think a lot of M3 sales in UK are Performance & SR+, although only SR+ & LRAWD got the grant - Vehicle Incentives - says under £50k for grant (page shows old info as change only announced by Gov today). Tesla Model 3 Long Range Performance says £56+K for Performance M3

"Ratification
The internal procedures of the UK and EU/Euratom have to be followed for ratification after signature. For the UK, this means approval by Parliament. For the EU, this means a decision by the Council of the European Union after receiving the consent of the European Parliament.[17]

In the UK, on 30 December 2020 the government introduced to Parliament the European Union (Future Relationship) Bill that implements the TCA.[18] The same day, the bill passed the House of Commons with 521 votes to 73, and was approved by the House of Lords. It became the European Union (Future Relationship) Act 2020 when it received royal assent on 31 December 2020.[19]

On 4 March 2021, the European Parliament postponed its ratification decision, which had been planned for 25 March. The EU accused the UK of proposing for a second time to break international law, after UK ministers announced the unilateral extension of the grace period on certain checks on trade from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.[20]

Provisional application and entry into force
The agreement can be provisionally applied from 1 January until entry into force, but (unless the final date is extended again) not beyond 30 April.[21] The original final date for end of the provisional application was 28 February 2021.[22][23][24] The Council decision on the signing also included approval of provisional application, provided the UK also decides to provisionally apply the document.[1][25] Provisional application took place from 1 January 2021,[2]"

Last edited:
You know, with the amount of money resting on $TSLA shorting and options trading, would be quite advantageous for some to buy a Tesla and have a someone in desperate need of cash, drive it into a police car, or fire-truck, etc. Not so fast as to hurt anyone, of course, but enough to make headlines

Given the historically documented tactics of the short-and-distort criminals, I wouldn't put it past them.
If people here have never watched the series Billions, I highly recommend it as it gives you a sense as to the some of the tactics hedge funds deploy to pump or short stocks (and its overall an entertaining series).

What @Lycanthrope suggests is actually entirely in the realm of possibility.

You don’t believe that SR M3 will be below that threshold when they are being built and shipped out of Berlin?

You don’t believe that SR M3 will be below that threshold when they are being built and shipped out of Berlin?
Given that the cost of labor+material sourcing is cheaper in China, if the 20% import tax is still intact out of Berlin then China may be a better solution.

Or Tesla can just reduced the price down to 38k or something and have the market decide if they want the premium car vs the lower mileage ones.