Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is currently showing on my yahoo news feed.
View attachment 647587
Basically Tesla said if you wire your BitCoin to a wrong person, don’t come to us and ask for a car.

And this can make it to news headlines... peak FUD I would say.

Probably the headline is overly dramatic, but it is true that unlike a credit card payment (and in many cases also a bank transfer) a mistaken BTC transfer is impossible to reverse. I would guess that someone who has anough BTC to buy a Tesla already knows this, but the fact remains that normal consumer protection is absent for a BTC payment.

I really don't know what to make of this BTC business - I hope I am just unable to see the genius of it...

Battery advancements no doubt help but the fact remains that, all things being equal, the closer to 100% charge (and the longer the duration the cell remains there), the harder it is on a Li-ion cell.

Additionally the greater the overall charge rate the greater stress on the battery on a couple of fronts (chemical, thermal, etc...). Generally a rate of 1C is relatively "safe", but the further you push that rate, the more you need methods to try and counter the effects (pack cooling, etc...)
Agreed, but Tesla manage the thermal characteristics while charging and can taper-off if things get too hot. so my point was that Tesla have improved this (along with better chemistry, of course) to such an extent that it's not an issue any more. Porsche, on the other hand, don't have that experience, and neither make their own cells and packs.

Hence Tesla can keep the 250kWh peak and batteries no longer degrade appreciably.

It isn't garbage at all. He's just reaffirming TSLA will soar within ~12 months but choppy results in the short term could cause the market to punish the stock more than it already has.

This is what I've believed could happen since December. I also suspect the uncertainty is why the forecast was vague on the Q4 earnings call.

It's also why I bought Jan 2023 LEAPS earlier and resisted the siren call of earlier expiration dates.

The reason I say it's a garbage note from that analyst is that it calls out something that is "a risk" that's a year out when the analyst in the same note is keeping their PT at 1200 for end of 2021.......all while the analyst seemingly doesn't acknowledge any upside catalysts for 2021. It honestly reads at a fear mongering note. If appears Tesla is on track for 900k+ deliveries by Q2 P/D numbers, the stock won't be affected by Cybertruck being pushed by a quarter. They also don't seem to be that knowledgeable about what's going on because they fail to mention that there's multiple pieces of anecdotal evidence that the Semi will start deliveries this summer. Giga Austin and Giga Berlin are both moving ahead of what anyone thought was possible even 6 months ago.

Honestly, there's no reason to put out that note except to stoke fear of further sell offs and to put doubt in investor's mind about another Cybertruck delay. We've seen no anecdotal evidence that the Cybetruck is falling further behind and we've seen plenty of evidence that the Semi is ahead of schedule.

Again sorry, but to put out a note for no reason other to say "even better entry points could lie ahead" and "Temporary selloffs seem likely, because over the next six months, there is a "high degreee of unpredictability in Tesla's production ramp" with zero evidence AFTER the stock has lost 40% of it's value is fear mongering. It's one thing to put out a note with new/updated risks and potential positives. He puts out a note emphasizing only risk and further price drops when no new information or evidence has come out. It frankly comes off as the analyst doing his buddies a favor to stoke fear to get a cheaper price before Q1 P/D numbers come out. There's zero reason for that note to come out when Q1 earnings are 4 weeks away...at which point we'll get an update on production on all things from Tesla themselves

Does anyone know of fairly reliable methods of predicting deliveries for Q1? All I see is Gary Black saying >50% chance it is above estimate. Which means there is <50% chance Gary sells and buys back lower.
Follow @Troy and @TeslaDaily on Twitter, amongst others, they're aren't spot on, but there or there abouts and they provide solid reasoning behind their forecasts

Whatever it is, will be represented as a miss by WS...

Probably the headline is overly dramatic, but it is true that unlike a credit card payment (and in many cases also a bank transfer) a mistaken BTC transfer is impossible to reverse. I would guess that someone who has anough BTC to buy a Tesla already knows this, but the fact remains that normal consumer protection is absent for a BTC payment.

I really don't know what to make of this BTC business - I hope I am just unable to see the genius of it...

I assume it relates more to the accounting playbook, giving the Master of Coin flexibility in how to report/classify the BTC investment if it actually relates to part of the business. That's just speculation on my part - I have no idea how this would actually work.

I can't imagine it's because there's a long line of people who really want to pay directly in BTC and otherwise Tesla wouldn't get their business.

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic and MikeC
Maybe when they eventually decide to pay dividends, they can pay them in Bitcoin, shorts then need to purchase Bitcoin.
What a great idea !

Along those lines, if Tesla was to find a way to give every shareholder of record a "Tesla digital wallet", and then even deposit $0.10 a share into the wallet as a dividend on occasion, would that not require all the "naked shorts" to periodically buy back the shorted shares?

I do recall reading somewhere that Tesla had recently hired the person who created Apple Pay. An electronic "Tesla Digital Wallet" with the side benefit of messing with the shorts would be delightful !!

What a great idea !

Along those lines, if Tesla was to find a way to give every shareholder of record a "Tesla digital wallet", and then even deposit $0.10 a share into the wallet as a dividend on occasion, would that not require all the "naked shorts" to periodically buy back the shorted shares?

I do recall reading somewhere that Tesla had recently hired the person who created Apple Pay. An electronic "Tesla Digital Wallet" with the side benefit of messing with the shorts would be delightful !!
This was the Apple guy:
Tesla hires guy behind Apple Pay to lead Supercharger experience. What you want to improve? - Electrek
Bitcoin at SC might be the next step.

Thanks very much for this very helpful and entertaining analysis!

On the topic of the GigaPress, someone with a reasonable insight in both the engineering and the economics went through quite a diverse set of sources and made a video with their estimate of the cost of one gigacasting, with some rather bullish findings. Their English pronunciation is not perfect and while the presentation is interesting enough, I will just post the estimated, main numbers (assuming among other things a 10% scrap rate):
1) 7/8 of the cost per unit is the cost of the raw aluminum,
2) depending on wage level (China vs US) and some other variables, unit cost is in the range 167$ - 273$.

If these numbers are anywhere near realistic, I think we can expect Tesla to try to Gigacast as much as possible...

This might be another reason why Tesla is getting into the insurance business..?

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike Ambler
The reason I say it's a garbage note from that analyst is that it calls out something that is "a risk" that's a year out when the analyst in the same note is keeping their PT at 1200 for end of 2021.......all while the analyst seemingly doesn't acknowledge any upside catalysts for 2021. It honestly reads at a fear mongering note. If appears Tesla is on track for 900k+ deliveries by Q2 P/D numbers, the stock won't be affected by Cybertruck being pushed by a quarter. They also don't seem to be that knowledgeable about what's going on because they fail to mention that there's multiple pieces of anecdotal evidence that the Semi will start deliveries this summer. Giga Austin and Giga Berlin are both moving ahead of what anyone thought was possible even 6 months ago.

Honestly, there's no reason to put out that note except to stoke fear of further sell offs and to put doubt in investor's mind about another Cybertruck delay. We've seen no anecdotal evidence that the Cybetruck is falling further behind and we've seen plenty of evidence that the Semi is ahead of schedule.

Again sorry, but to put out a note for no reason other to say "even better entry points could lie ahead" and "Temporary selloffs seem likely, because over the next six months, there is a "high degreee of unpredictability in Tesla's production ramp" with zero evidence AFTER the stock has lost 40% of it's value is fear mongering. It's one thing to put out a note with new/updated risks and potential positives. He puts out a note emphasizing only risk and further price drops when no new information or evidence has come out. It frankly comes off as the analyst doing his buddies a favor to stoke fear to get a cheaper price before Q1 P/D numbers come out. There's zero reason for that note to come out when Q1 earnings are 4 weeks away...at which point we'll get an update on production on all things from Tesla themselves
I dunno. It seems to me that a year end PT of $1,200 has to assume some upside catalysts. To be honest, I mostly agree with the conclusions. Sure, looking back, one can say this analysis is coming out too late and the milk has already been spilled. But I don't disagree there are still risks for the first half of the year. Short term risk with long term certainty is exactly my current opinion.

I say this with no desire to add to fears. I have yet to sell one share and fully expect the SP will be much higher by year end. Maybe I'm being sanguine because I don't have any short term options and I am not on margin. So I can wait out any short-term drops.

Finally, not to be nit-picky as I understand the point you are trying to make, but we are now exactly 30% off highs, not 40%.

I hope so, but I doubt it and I was constantly amazed how Elon was always working more hours than many of my engineers. It's fun reading Liftoff as I don't feel so bad now about how much he pushes his teams.
I just finished reading the book. Highly recommended.
Can't wait to see the movie.

My friend Sam Stovall is the chief investment strategist at CFRA. Today he published his latest policy notes.

Excerpt:

This bull market just celebrated its first birthday, in which the S&P 500 surged 76.1%. This was the highest first-year gain since 1945, outpacing the average of 37.5% for all prior bull markets and the 68.6% jump for the 2009 bull; the average second-year return simmered down to a more-normal 11.8% gain. This bull’s advance recouped 148% of the point loss of the 2020 bear market, making it third highest behind the first-year bulls of 1949 (+162%) and 1982 (+157%). Of the 12 prior bull markets, only the bull starting in May 1947 faltered after just 395 calendar days, while the bulls of October 1966, May 1970, and December 1987 succumbed before surpassing 1,000 days. The remaining bulls lasted from four years (October 1957) to nearly 11 years (March 2009). Finally, history says, but does not guarantee, that an above-average first-year gain has typically translated into a longer-duration bull market, whereas tepid first-year gains usually led to below-average durations.

My friend Sam Stovall is the chief investment strategist at CFRA. Today he published his latest policy notes.

Excerpt:

This bull market just celebrated its first birthday, in which the S&P 500 surged 76.1%. This was the highest first-year gain since 1945, outpacing the average of 37.5% for all prior bull markets and the 68.6% jump for the 2009 bull; the average second-year return simmered down to a more-normal 11.8% gain. This bull’s advance recouped 148% of the point loss of the 2020 bear market, making it third highest behind the first-year bulls of 1949 (+162%) and 1982 (+157%). Of the 12 prior bull markets, only the bull starting in May 1947 faltered after just 395 calendar days, while the bulls of October 1966, May 1970, and December 1987 succumbed before surpassing 1,000 days. The remaining bulls lasted from four years (October 1957) to nearly 11 years (March 2009). Finally, history says, but does not guarantee, that an above-average first-year gain has typically translated into a longer-duration bull market, whereas tepid first-year gains usually led to below-average durations.

Creative disruption as a result of the pandemic plus massive government spending and pent up consumer demand would suggest he is correct. This is the next wave of the internet eating the world.

One very important fact about bitcoin is that it allows you to take responsibility for your own finances.
When the banks tell you that you need them to keep you safe, you do, if you can’t take this responsibility yourself.
Personally, I would rather be responsible for myself than accept all the baggage that comes with believing that I am unable to do so.
However, there are people who need to be protected from themselves making mistakes, and the banks are there to take care of them.

As a practical matter, I would never transfer more than a few hundred dollars in bitcoin without sending a very small amount first to verify the address I want to remit to… Then I can be very confident if I copy and paste that same address for the larger transfer. This verification is worth the cost of one extra transfer fee of maybe $10

Last edited:
This might be another reason why Tesla is getting into the insurance business..?
Right - close the loop:
  • Use feedback from repair of actual car collisions to improve cast parts, and thus the car.
  • Drive down risk of expensive insurance payouts.
  • Iterate so that cast part can degrade gracefully in minor impacts, and be more easily replaced for major impacts.
This is the way.