Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just because you do it doesn't make it right or the norm.

6619e1982b5f9a02d25897e8d415d5a784a754330a6054280ef3311416397d91.jpg

The world needs tinkerers. I’m thinking of JB Straubel, but there are countless others whose names never become recognised.

Yes they are safer in crash scenarios. They are not safer when an idiot with a butter knife tries to pry open a battery pack

Yes, this is my point as well. Electricity can be designed for use very very safely and beyond that it inherently avoids certain risks like Carbon Monoxide poisoning and other artifacts of combustion - all great stuff.

Electrical systems in a serviceable situation OTOH can be very dangerous in that they are unforgiving - things happen instantaneously in ways the human body does not sustain well.

I am aware that people want to work on things. Great, get a motorcycle or work on the suspension. Electric vehicles have a noteworthy safety record because of good safe designs up front and it takes work to keep it that way. Encouraging any sort of tinkering on the traction battery systems on any EVs is beyond stupid IMO. I hate seeing this stuff on YouTube, it will be hurtful to EV success in the long run IMO and hopefully I am overly cautious.

Apologies if I seem strident on this, my experience with medical equipment repair even by trained techs has given me good reason to be.

Last edited:
Chinese car sales fall for first time in more than 20 years

Trade war with US is handbrake on growth in world’s second biggest economy

Sales of cars in China have dropped for the first time in almost 30 years, a sign of the importance of ending the country’s trade dispute with the US as the world economy begins to falter.

As the US and China appeared to be edging closer to ending the trade dispute between them on Wednesday, the figures illustrate how the bitter standoff, as well as sluggish local demand, have acted as a handbrake on growth in the world’s second biggest economy.

Passenger vehicle sales in mainland China dropped by 5.8% last year to 22.35m, according to the China Passenger Car Association, the first reverse in the world’s biggest car market since 1992

________________________________________________________________________________________

Someone posted Chinese Auto Sales were 29M in 2017 a couple of days ago.

Maybe those include low speed neighborhood vehicles and/or tricycles and the above quoted by the Guardian does not?

Anyways, Chinese auto market at 22.35M vehicles at ~21k ASP is not bigger nor much more important than US market at 17.4M vehicles with ASP ~$37k. Yes, the luxury car market is still bigger in China than the US but the middle segment of cars is very small.

I'm starting to think this is some sort of error. I can't find this volume data on any platform.

EDIT: Not to mention, I have a hard time understanding how there could be enough liquidity for such a transaction to even take place. Two million options contracts represents a greater number of shares than the total number of shares outstanding.

Someone might be cornering the market to recreate the condition of the VW short squeeze. We'll never know till eod when all transaction is reflected.

Last edited:
Reactions: mutle and neroden
Noticed very high volume option activities on Mar 15 today. What kind of strategy is this?View attachment 367548

This could be Tesla themselves. They have $1B in convertible debt due in March. This straddle will ensure the stock price is above the conversion threshold ($359-something). $1B is probably not enough money to do this but who knows. Also, not sure they can legally do that. One of their benefactors could... Larry? :)

Sales of cars in China have dropped for the first time in almost 30 years, a sign of the importance of ending the country’s trade dispute with the US as the world economy begins to falter.

As the US and China appeared to be edging closer to ending the trade dispute between them on Wednesday, the figures illustrate how the bitter standoff, as well as sluggish local demand, have acted as a handbrake on growth in the world’s second biggest economy.

Passenger vehicle sales in mainland China dropped by 5.8% last year to 22.35m, according to the China Passenger Car Association, the first reverse in the world’s biggest car market since 1992

________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe those include low speed neighborhood vehicles and/or tricycles and the above quoted by the Guardian does not?

Anyways, Chinese auto market at 22.35M vehicles at ~21k ASP is not bigger nor much more important than US market at 17.4M vehicles with ASP ~$37k. Yes, the luxury car market is still bigger in China than the US but the middle segment of cars is very small.

Unofficial data was already available weeks ago (reports from local dealers for example). Same goes for steel production, etc.
One of the sides in this dispute is bleeding faster than the other.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
In marketnews - after all the gyrations of the day, it is interesting that TSLA and Nasdaq ended almost at the same place - up 0.95% vs up 0.87%. Basically bots have taken over the trading.

In the last few sessions are shorts seem to be not doing much work ? Have they lost confidence or are they just waiting for some juicy FUD ?

Today there was a news item, which in the earlier days they would have used to drive down Tesla. Something about a lawsuit saying bad battery killed a teen. It didn't affect SP in anyway, though.

While currently true, I think it's important to have a theory about whether this will persist, given the continuous fast changes in China. In some respects, the China factory seems to be a bet that this will not persist.

李克强会见美国客人_总理_中国政府网
Official Chinese gov website reports Elon meeting with Li Ke Qiang.
最新_中国政府网
If you check the list of news related to Li, you will see there are not many of such meetings with CEO of a foreign company, this is bullish as hell.
Their request to Tesla could be opening a R&D center in Beijing which in turn will bring countless gov benefits.
Tesla’s China revenue could end up much higher than rest of the world combined (which they should anyway).
I bet Li called dibs on GF 5, 6, And 7. All these will be built before Foxconn finishes with one factory in Wisconsin.

Brexit has the possibility of bringing on a worldwide recession.

"Passenger vehicles" does not include trucks, SUVs, or commerical vehicles. Sales of passenger cars were 24,961,948 in 2017, vs. 29,122,531 for all vehicles in China. Passenger cars were only about 6m of the 17m US sales.

Sales Statistics | OICA