Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter

The 75 kWh version of the S and X is getting discontinued. I’m guessing 100 will become the new standard and we will see an even bigger battery pack, switch to 2170s and V3 supercharging capability.

A decision that's been a long time coming. And a good decision.

Note: this should lower Tesla's max production capacity for S and X.

Elon Musk on Twitter

The 75 kWh version of the S and X is getting discontinued. I’m guessing 100 will become the new standard and we will see an even bigger battery pack, switch to 2170s and V3 supercharging capability.

To be honest I believe the main reason for this move is to widen the gap between the fully-packed M3 and the MS. Tesla has to keep those M3 lines busy at all costs.

Now expecting:
  • April/May '19 ... M3 MR for Europe and China
  • August '19 ........ M3 SR for US
  • Q3 '19 ............... M3 RHD LR/MR
  • October '19 ...... MS / MX refresh (+MY reveal)
  • EoY '19 ............. M3 SR for Europe and China

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and AlexS
Elon Musk on Twitter

I’m guessing he is going to replace s/x 18650 75/100 with 2170 90/120. Maybe 300 and 400 mile base/long-range versions?

I’m guessing he is going to replace s/x 18650 75/100 with 2170 90/120.

And throw away their investment in 18650 production? And burn a bunch of money in redesign? And take 2170s from other things that are earning them profit? No.

But we've had this debate before and spammed this thread, so do we really want to do so again?

And throw away their investment in 18650 production? And burn a bunch of money in redesign? And take 2170s from other things that are earning them profit? No.

But we've had this debate before and spammed this thread, so do we really want to do so again?
You may be right. My crystal ball has been a bit cloudy of late. We’ll find out soon, maybe even in q4 conf call q/a.

And this fits Elon’s MO, in which he constantly innovates to stay ahead of the competition. He’s adding value to the S/X passing battery cost reductions along to the consumer, before the competition can do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhm
Bloomberg already posted an article today about how difficult it is to road trip in a Tesla in Europe
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
With 215 miles on a full charge, the 2015 Tesla Model S had the biggest range I could find to rent.

What? Which S has 215 miles max range? S60 which was discontinued many years ago? You know instantly this is a hit piece.

I can pound a hammer to a gas tank and nothing happens go do that to a battery or go and stand in water and work on your EV :D. You guys are delusional. I have nothing against working on cars but I am not putting my hand on a Tesla pack or messing with the HV system.

Yes they are safer as designed. I wonder what would Rich would have said if he had burn his buddies shop into the ground. Is just a matter of time....
Yet you can dyno indoors with the doors closed an no ventilation with your EV, but try that with your ICE.

Sure you understand there are tradeoffs with both technologies and each require their own safety precautions?

Don't you work for an EV manufacturer?