Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trust me, they will introduce a 120 kWh battery pack which will be the LR model and go 400 miles on a single charge. Also I'm guessing it will come with a premium while they ramp up production.

100 kWh battery pack will see a slight price reduction.

Porsche and Co. will not know what hit them, they spent the last 3 years working on their 250 mile EVs and look like amateurs.

Plus the interior refresh is probably coming in Q3.

What? Which S has 215 miles max range? S60 which was discontinued many years ago? You know instantly this is a hit piece.
Sure looks like a hit piece. From the pics, it looks like it’s a 70d.

‘Only 65 superchargers in france, a country the size of Texas”? Has he seen how many superchargers there are here in Texas? I haven’t read the article in detail, but I can assure him, we do just fine here in Texas with far fewer superchargers and 80 mph speed limits and occasional freezing weather.

It is not about fear mongering. My statement stands.
The "electricity is less forgiving" statement?

Certainly I agree that the potential for instant significant harm is there.

An arc flash will be bad news, and you can't necessary see it coming. Then again, you can't necessarily see a hot exhaust manifold either... and that burn will also be instant.

While igniting explosive vapors may take milliseconds, and a short across terminals will arc in only microseconds, at those speeds it doesn't matter.

If a battery fire starts, you probably have a similar time to deal with it as with a gasoline fire. The battery fire may be harder to extinguish, but burning liquid gasoline can travel farther faster.

Both cars will hurt if they fall on you. It's easier to get your hand or loose clothing caught in the fans, belts, and pulleys of an ICE engine compartment. An EV will shock you where an ICE won't. There are probably many more carcinogens associated with an ICE and it's various fluids and components.

All of which is to say, there are risks in each. Just like there were when we gave up horses and went to cars.

Fortunately there are things like temp guns to tell you if that manifold is hot, and DVM's to check for voltage on that contactor. Just like I won't disconnect the fuel line over a hot exhaust manifold, I also didn't crack open my high voltage junction box without disconnecting the HV cut loop and subsequently checking for voltage.

The technology isn't the issue, education is.

Last edited:
OT

Any heavy machinery is as safe as a hummer, it all depends on how you handle it.
As long as you don’t juggle them with bare foot, they are safe to work on.
But this Rich guy is doing exactly that, which should be discouraged.

You also need to appreciate there a significant degree of hyperbole and comedy relief interspersed in his commentary.

In his initial salt water salvage videos he explained how he was gonna scrape the corrosion directly off the battery modules with a butter knife.

After the collative gasp of the youtube-o-sphere faded, the next part had him using a plastic butter knife to do that, all the while chuckling.

Comedy gold...

Last edited:
As a tinkerer I think Rich with his Rebuilds are unhelpful and I strongly feel that he has basically nothing in common with Straubel - curiosity being a possible exception.

JB Straubel has a MS in engineering from Stanford and a LOT of experience and I am sure curiosity to match. Impressive accomplishments.

What? Which S has 215 miles max range? S60 which was discontinued many years ago? You know instantly this is a hit piece.

She also only used Superchargers on his first and last day, tried to find non-Tesla AC chargers via google search, and tried to use non-Tesla DC chargers without membership or looking up whether they're even available. *Facepalm*

Once again...

Yet you can dyno indoors with the doors closed an no ventilation with your EV, but try that with your ICE.

Sure you understand there are tradeoffs with both technologies and each require their own safety precautions?

Don't you work for an EV manufacturer?

Yeah we know that putting down a battery fire is not as easy as putting down a fire on an engine in a dyno cell :D.

I love EV's and I will never go back to ICE. I love my model 3 but facts are facts.

JB Straubel has a MS in engineering from Stanford and a LOT of experience and I am sure curiosity to match. Impressive accomplishments.

exactly. Not a hack with a butter knife.

Last edited:
On twitter it says that Elon's jet landed in Amsterdam. I didn't look it up if it is true or not
It did.
Schiphol Flights for 09-01-2019
upload_2019-1-10_1-54-46.png

Presumably he's visiting the brand new SuperCharger at the Corendon Hotel (previous Sony European HQ) near the airport, cheering on the staff that transforms part of the stalls for Model 3 use everywhere. (They add a second cable with a CCS connector to about a third of the stalls.)

I think this doesn't make sense, because range will keep growing. So, in 5 years an old LR will have the same range as new SR and then how do you differentiate these?
Bingo! That’s like the “New iPad” model I bought years ago. Follow ups to be called “Newer” and then what, “Even Newer Still”?

Some marketing people just need to be fired that come up with this nonsense.

Do you really think that it is a good idea (from investor's perspective) to involve TSLA in political statements while the US public (and potential customer base) is split in half?

I'm no expert, but I believe most large companies are opposed to the tariff war. Apparently their CEOs agree a trade war is not helpful, negotiations for collective benefit, on the other hand, are. I could be wrong but I believe the Chinese opening bid included negotiations on all outstanding issues including intellectual property rights. But in his superior wisdom, the Donald believes a lot of huffing and puffing has to occur first before the other side pleads "uncle." The Chinese then realized he was not a serious person. Ask the Brits, French, Germans, and Canada about this. Look at NAFTA, the name has changed, but the terms of the new accord? Meanwhile, how much have investors lost because our current prez worried about his precious bodily fluids?

You're right about the public split on Trump. Silver's aggregate of the polls estimate is something like 53.8% disapprove to 41.1% approve. On policies, its more like a 7 to 3 ranking in favor of almost every progressive issue. One of Robert Dahl's famous categories to rate democracies is high on the probability the public's preferences are likely to be implemented. Of traditionally wealthy countries I suspect we rank at the bottom on this score, a tribute to the founders' fear of democracy.

I would agree that there is a very great deal wrong with what the experts have told us about foreign policy and a host of naive presidents who have implemented it. Those policies go way back and were worst when we took the position of "our way or the highway" as gut is substituted for intelligence. One great example, the Baruch Plan on nuclear weapons under Truman called for international control of weapons and technology, but only after the Soviet Union had agreed to it. Truman was not interested in negotiating as an equal in getting there. Conservative governments in Israel do the same, agree to the end result, then we will negotiate how to get there. The relative success of Bush I's Gulf War had many features, but among the best, a collective effort with relevant allies. Contrast that with his son's, strike that, Dick Cheney's approach. When he found out State had convened a panel of experts to plan for the aftermath of the war, he stopped it forthwith out of fear the problems might lead to a more cautious approach at getting into it.

As my teachers said we almost never made a mistake in foreign policy until the Spanish American War and on. As a weak power we had to think carefully about what we did or didn't do. Let's you and him fight is a good strategy under such conditions. That's why when it became clear the British superpower would enforce it, Madison declared Latin America off limits for further imperialism. Except, of course, for economic imperialism by the U.S. When necessary we have not been shy about using the marines to enforce it. (They occupied Nicaragua for fifteen years for God's sake!)

And today in domestic policy the Government remains closed, its employees and ultimate employers, the people, remain hostage to a bullying president. To Nancy: "OK, suppose I agree to open the government for negotiations on the wall to proceed, in February do you guarantee the negotiations will lead to the solution I propose now on a wall?" "No." "Then I'll leave because you can't guarantee what I want at the beginning."

What a shiney wonderful thing is a veto power in the hands of a bully. Wait until I have a nuclear crisis with Korea or Russia, or Germany. We fought on Hitler's side then, or did he correct that, or is that a slip by one of his advisors?

Edit: George Kennan who was always frustrated by our Soviet policy used to say of negotiations: "There are two ways to get people to go through a door. One is by opening it." The real Nobel Peace Prize winners will be Kim and Moon when they announce their peace treaty.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I believe most large companies are opposed to the tariff war. Apparently their CEOs agree a trade war is not helpful, negotiations for collective benefit, on the other hand, are. I could be wrong but I believe the Chinese opening bid included negotiations on all outstanding issues including intellectual property rights. But in his superior wisdom, the Donald believes a lot of huffing and puffing has to occur first before the other side pleads "uncle." The Chinese then realized he was not a serious person. Ask the Brits, French, Germans, and Canada about this. Look at NAFTA, the name has changed, but the terms of the new accord? Meanwhile, how much have investors lost because our current prez worried about his precious bodily fluids?

You're right about the public split on Trump. Silver's aggregate of the polls estimate is something like 53.8% disapprove to 41.1% approve. On policies, its more like a 7 to 3 ranking in favor of almost every progressive issue. One of Robert Dahl's famous categories to rate democracies is high on the probability the public's preferences are likely to be implemented. Of traditionally wealthy countries I suspect we rank at the bottom on this score, a tribute to the founders' fear of democracy.

I would agree that there is a very great deal wrong with what the experts have told us about foreign policy and a host of naive presidents who have implemented it. Those policies go way back and were worst when we took the position of "our way or the highway" as gut is substituted for intelligence. One great example, the Baruch Plan on nuclear weapons under Truman called for international control of weapons and technology, but only after the Soviet Union had agreed to it. Truman was not interested in negotiating as an equal in getting there. Conservative governments in Israel do the same, agree to the end result, then we will negotiate how to get there. The relative success of Bush I's Gulf War had many features, but among the best, a collective effort with relevant allies. Contrast that with his son's, strike that, Dick Cheney's approach. When he found out State had convened a panel of experts to plan for the aftermath of the war, he stopped it forthwith out of fear the problems might lead to a more cautious approach at getting into it.

As my teachers said we almost never made a mistake in foreign policy until the Spanish American War and on. As a weak power we had to think carefully about what we did or didn't do. Let's you and him fight is a good strategy under such conditions. That's why when it became clear the British superpower would enforce it, Madison declared Latin America off limits for further imperialism. Except, of course, for economic imperialism by the U.S. When necessary we have not been shy about using the marines to enforce it. (They occupied Nicaragua for fifteen years for God's sake!)

And today in domestic policy the Government remains closed, its employees and ultimate employers, the people, remain hostage to a bullying president. To Nancy: "OK, suppose I agree to open the government for negotiations on the wall to proceed, in February do you guarantee the negotiations will lead to the solution I propose now on a wall?" "No." "Then I'll leave because you can't guarantee what I want at the beginning."

What a shiney wonderful thing is a veto power in the hands of a bully. Wait until I have a nuclear crisis with Korea or Russia, or Germany. We fought on Hitler's side then, or did he correct that, or is that a slip by one of his advisors?

Why do you still reside here?

I think this doesn't make sense, because range will keep growing. So, in 5 years an old LR will have the same range as new SR and then how do you differentiate these?

I mentioned the other day that Elon let slip the term "Very long range" during an interview to a Chinese media.

Now I have no doubt that it is indeed a term in use internally at Tesla.

While currently true, I think it's important to have a theory about whether this will persist, given the continuous fast changes in China. In some respects, the China factory seems to be a bet that this will not persist.

That Asia/Oceania will buy 500k standard range "low end" Model 3 per year isn't a very risky bet. There doesn't need to be big changes to make that happen.

The factory is not for China alone, per Musk. If Asians want a sub ~$45k Model 3 they have to buy a Chinese made one. If they want an American built one they need to fork over more cheddar.

Reactions: SpaceAggie